No announcement yet.

Please check my sub frame welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im a Welder by trade and I LOL'd pretty hard. I wouldnt trust that weld too much. By the looks of all the spatter and cold lap it looks like you were welding way too cold or using some crappy rod. Like dragon humper said grab some 3/32 7018 and put it in there at about 75-90 Amps depending on if you have any gap to fill. Your bead also looks way to wide for the application. I would grind into it some, but leave some backing material to make it easier on yourself. Then run some quick passes without weaving the rod side to side, you dont have to fill the joint with one pass. Run multiple (Id say 3 or 4) stringer passes length ways. Stringers will ensure you dont catch any slag into your weld, like you probably did with that big cold looking weave pass. Plus stringers are stronger for structural applications because each additional pass onto the previous changes the metals molecular structure to make it stronger. In short, grind out the big ugly pass, and put in 3 or 4 small ones that will fill the joint. If all else fails see if you can find a MIG welding machine instead, they are much more user friendly to the hobby welder (Use 70S wire).

The part you welded does look like a stiffener for the two ears/tabs. That top piece you welded on will keep those rigid and keep them from moving side to side. I would say its an important piece of your suspension

Also dont worry about it cracking like buddy said in the posts above, mild steel is very forgiving. You would only really have to worry about cracking if you heated it up(welding) then cooled it off too fast(quench in water).
    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 12-22-2010, 01:48 AM.
    Regards,
    Ken.

Bayside Blue '89 HCR32 RB22 "MORE POWA"
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/49160-kens-1989-babyzilla.html
    Blue '14 Mazda CX-5 - GF's Grocery Getter
    White '10 Mazda 3 - Daily Driver

Comment

Working...
    X