Shortest Short Throw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you have to remember that a real short shifter isn't just shorter on top
    a shifter is a lever, on a real short shifter, the pivot point is moved upwards, meaning the top part (knob) is shorter and the bottom part (bushing) is longer
    this means that a much smaller movement of the knob will correspond to a bigger movement of the forks
    but this also means that since the overall lever (from the perspective of the knob) is much smaller, so the driver has to input much more force to change gears,
    and in physics, F=MA, force = mass*accel, for the same mass you input more force which makes the forks accelerate faster which creates alot more wear and tear on the bushing-forks-synchros everytime the shifter slams into gears

i have a Nismo Solid Shift,
    which as a 10% shorter throw shifter and uses a solid brass bushing instead of the stock plastic one
    and i use a high mount Nismo ball type knob
    this results in an incredibly solid shift feel, no crunch no grinding
    and apart from 5th gear, all gears are super easy to shift
    and there is absolutely no slop in the shifter, is doesn't move around on its on

i don't think theres a better shifting feel than this out there

Marc (Nelsonxmarc) even drove my car around in a parking lot a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how good the shifter felt
    the shifter in his gts-t felt like moving a big plastic spoon in a basket of ice cream, outside, on a warm summer's day, with the basket sitting on a warm 5 speed transmission
    :P marc
    Last edited by frankiman; 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM.
    sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

if anyones stock shifter is sloppy....try replacing that plastic bushing bottom of shifter....makes a big difference for only 2 bux
      Toy: BNR32
      DD: R50

Comment

really?... frank i agree with u here. could you post a link to the short shift kit you have? see if u can find it on RHD japan for me, ..

thanks!
        The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

Marc (Nelsonxmarc) even drove my car around in a parking lot a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe how good the shifter felt
          the shifter in his gts-t felt like moving a big plastic spoon in a basket of ice cream, outside, on a warm summer's day, with the basket sitting on a warm 5 speed transmission
          :P marc
          LOL
          IT DOES!! FU*K!!
          Hate my god damn sloppy shifter.. I'm machining a brass bushing at the moment.. until i can find a good deal on a nismo solid shift. Tyler has one but he's MIA.. i want to buy it off him asap. Franks car really does shift effin nice.. PS. i bought the same shift knob, c*ck sucker
          Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
          www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
          Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
          Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
            LOL
            IT DOES!! FU*K!!
            PS. i bought the same shift knob, c*ck sucker
            i lol'ed hard

Originally posted by archaeic_bloke View Post
            really?... frank i agree with u here. could you post a link to the short shift kit you have? see if u can find it on RHD japan for me, ..

thanks!
            RHDJapan offers the best quality performance parts made in Japan including Nismo, Mugen, Defi, Spoon, Cusco, Tomei, HKS and other JDM brands.

you're welcome
            Last edited by frankiman; 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Well It looks like I have the info I need! Thanks Franc!

And Im not looking for shorter for super fast shifts, its just cause the oem shift knob position blocks the rear view mirror view, like to trim it down a bit
              Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                Well It looks like I have the info I need! Thanks Franc!

And Im not looking for shorter for super fast shifts, its just cause the oem shift knob position blocks the rear view mirror view, like to trim it down a bit

Comment

it is abnormally tall
                  Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

^^ lol

just for laugh, a friend of mine made a 2 feet long shift "rod" out of a baseball bat when we were in college and had access to laith and ****
                    and drove his s13 on the track for half a summer, till the "rod" broke on a bad downshift

will try to get pics
                    sigpic

Comment

i heard that the nismo solid shifter doesnt feel any different then stock ?
                      Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by foxracingcanada004 View Post
                        i heard that the nismo solid shifter doesnt feel any different then stock ?
                        It's 10% shorter. Shouldn't feel much different. The nismo short shifter is 25% shorter.
                        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman
                          RHDJapan has free shipping until January 10, 2010. Just an FYI for anybody pondering buying, this would be a good time.
                          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
                            RHDJapan has free shipping until January 10, 2010. Just an FYI for anybody pondering buying, this would be a good time.
                            on everything? like roll cages...?
                            sigpic

Comment

Anyone got a link to a brass bushing. Cut down your stock shifter 1 inch, add the brass and you will have the same thing for about $30 ($50 if you need a shop to weld the shift rod back up again).

10% shorter with a nylon bushing won`t be worth the price you pay. It will still feel sloppy and you won`t notice 10% very much. Hell, just switching to a round knob vs the tall stocker will take 1.5 inches off to give you the same thing.

I find though, a short shifter gives you more feedback on how the shift is going vs stock. The stocker gives you two things that are bad, more leverage and a numb feeling. I can shift lightning fast with a stocker, but you plow through the gates hamfistedly and will surely force it to do something it doesn`t want to, bad idea if your gearbox is starting to get tired.

Jon.
                              Last edited by Dragon Humper; 12-11-2010, 06:12 PM.
                              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X