No announcement yet.

induction box vs intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARC is back but I'm sure ya'll found that out already.

I have pod filters that came with my car - K&N filters from the GReddy intake system I have.

The only beef I have with pods is this: The S2/R2/ Ztune, N1, Nismo, etc, etc. don't use pods. They use the stock (or some sort of upgrade)airbox and still produce 350-500 hp respectively.

I guess I'm trying to convince myself to go back to stock airbox. Anyone have any updates since 2011?

Comment

I found out that sizing the airfilter correctly, placement of airfilter is critical, as can lose hp if not done correctly.

Stock airbox works out to around 300-330hp (roughly) and is placed in wrong place for high hp applications. Above 330hp you would be looking at a bigger airfilter, placing infront of radiator with sheilding to suit (protect from rocks, etc).

Just look at this dyno comparison with airfilters on a V8 to understand what I mean that a bigger airfilter, placement of airfilter makes a difference to hp produced (without and with ECU tune to suit, etc) -

Andre Simon from STM dyno tests some of New Zealand's most popular Cold Air Intakes for Holden Commodores. We let you know which Over The Radiator Cold Air ...

Probably not the best comparison, as I think are using MAF, non MAF during test's that makes a difference to restriction, hp produced.

But it's the same place they put airfilter on V8 SuperTourers that lap nearly as quick as open wheel racecars (roughly 2-4 sec slower per lap) -

Timelapse video of the Tasman Motorsports Group V8 SuperTourer 'Abe' build.Like us on Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/TasmanMotorsportsGroupFollow us on Twit...

On Gibson Group-A R32 GTR they built something similar (custom airbox) above top radiator support (engine seems to produce around 700hp on that dyno run, but was limited to around 640hp when racing) -

Check out the Gibson GIO R32 GTR on our dyno for a tune producing 442kw at 4 wheels.This ex Bathurst race car is just awesome, immaculate like it just rolled...
      Last edited by Skym; 04-28-2013, 11:02 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Thanks for the information as a matey of fact Mighty Car Mods did a similar test. They concluded that positioning is the best solution for any pod or box.

At this point without further research, my solution for my particular situation is a headlight funnel intake and an ARC box or better.

Btw, my application is for racing not street driving.

Sent from my SC-03D

Comment

You're welcome. Could run a cold air feed (hose) from infront of radiator.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
            You're welcome. Could run a cold air feed (hose) from infront of radiator.
            Thanks, mate. There's a better view of the Gibson intake you mentioned:

Nice setup but a little too racey imo. Besides, I need to read up on the rules of the club I'll be competing in.

Sent from my SC-03D
            Last edited by Bigalow; 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

You're welcome.

The intake hose clamps are not cheap on that car, I think was around $100 or so per clamp, last time I looked at them.

ARC airbox is said to be not any better than stock airbox when tested on dyno with R34 GTR. Better to run stock air box with a better air feed to stock airbox (I think stock airfeed is just under passenger headlight).
              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Working...
              X