Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition

Hey guys,

Simple debate I want to have is with ignition amplifiers vs. Aftermarket coil packs.

Which one is better? Something like HKS twin fire amplifier or spitfire coil packs?

Love to hear your opinion and experience with either.

John
    S14 with some mods
    GTR with some paint

I have spitfire, no problems would reccommend, dont know bout the hks

Comment

OEM coils have shown to handle BIG power. I use Splitfires with no problems. The weak link I believe is the ignitor as they are prown to failure.

Comment

^ Big horsepower yes, but big amps I'm not sure it since some members have been reporting that their OEM coils were leaking or arcing current. Turning up the current would just accelerate coil leakage.

Just my opinion though.
        Last edited by MarusGTR; 08-29-2011, 12:02 PM. Reason: grammar popo
        1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

^^^Variable being age of the coils. I bought Splitfires simply because there are very high hp cars using them with good liability and never plan on anything more then 4-450hp.
          Even those $1000 Plasmas can fail sadly.

Comment

I use yellow jackets , the OEM coils that came with the car were working fine , but i got the yellow jackets in a group buy and replaced them just for security!

Comment

I am with Paul, I replaced my coilpacks with Yellow Jackets as well. Just a good preventative maintenance item.
              1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
              2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
              2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

Comment

Working...
              X