Stock brake size???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock brake size???

GTR manual says that the front brake rotors are 296mm in diameter and the rear are 297mm.

I ordered a set of DBA 4000 rotors for the car and when I tried to install them I found that the caliper doesn't clear the rotor. Upon further investigation I found that the rotors that are currently on the car (some unknown aftermarket part) are actually smaller than 296mm. Was there a different stock brake setup available? Or are the brakes from a GTS-T compatible with the GTR?? I'm starting to think this car is a total hack job and need to find some answers.

I checked the DBA website and the front rotors for the GTS-T are 280mm in diameter which would definetly fit on this car....which worries me! I didn't have a measuring tape available at the time so I didn't check the diameter of the rotors that are on there now, I just did a visual inspection.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Thanks guys!

-Kenji
    1989 Honda Civic DX - Sold
    1987 Mazda RX-7 GX - Sold
    1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II - In pieces...
    1993 Nissan Skyline GTR - Passing you!

The 296mm is the GTR size for sure, that's what I'm running. What you could have is a 300zx or GTST setup which uses the same 280mm size rotors. The 300zx calipers are same as GTST except they're aluminium, IIRC, not sure if I'm right on that.
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

The 300zx can be aluminum or cast, and came 30mm and 28mm in rotor thickness.

Aldo the aluminum are the most popular choice.

They are very popular for 240sx, and easy to find parts for. I wouldn't be surprise if someone swapped GTR brake to 300zx just for cheaper parts and easier access to them. I remember when the first GTR were imported there wasn't a lot of parts available for them, and rotors were sometime a pain to get your hand on, not so much now.
      14 VW Jetta TDI
      05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
      95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
      95 240sx ( powered)
      89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

I found a pic of a GTR caliper next to a 300ZX caliper and it looks like I have the 300ZX part on my car right now. I'm in the process of aquiring a pair of GTR calipers since it is probably easier and cheap to get the calipers than try and return the rotors as I have already opened everything.

New question is are the rear calipers the same from GTR to GTS-T to 300ZX? Don't want to sped money on rear calipers if I don't have to. Pics or reference to oter sources would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Kenji
        1989 Honda Civic DX - Sold
        1987 Mazda RX-7 GX - Sold
        1990 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II - In pieces...
        1993 Nissan Skyline GTR - Passing you!

Comment

I know the rear rotors of the 300zx are the same size as gtr rotors at the backs. So, you shouldn't be needing to get gtr rear calipers. It's just the fronts that are different.

Comment

Working...
          X