Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1990 R32 GTR: clutch sticking down and can't shift out of neutral when car is started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 R32 GTR: clutch sticking down and can't shift out of neutral when car is started

HERE IS A LITTLE BACKGROUND STORY, IF YOU WANT THE SHORT SKIP TO THE "SUMMARY" AT THE BOTTOM:

I purchased a 1990 R32 GTR yesterday from one of the members on this forum. He indicated that the clutch slipped with his current tune and was fair about the price since I would have to replace that eventually.

He drove it to meet me and we went out a couple of times driving about 30 minutes total, with some hard acceleration showing the slip and some decent acceleration without slip. We agreed on a price and met where my truck and trailer were about 35Kms away. The previous owner got it there without issues and was able to get it on the trailer for me with some slight difficulties. Car kept slipping once 1/2 o the ramps and then again as it went over the thick nylon wheel tie downs. Took multiple attempts and a bit of burn clutch later but it was up fine.

The drive home was insanely rough for the first 200 Km or so, I went slow (55 mph) but still got bounced around like a rag doll, I assume the trailer did likewise.

When I got home 5 hours later I was so stoked to have made it without incident. When the car was started to take it off the trailer there were no issues, but as soon as the clutch was pressed it stayed down. None of the gears could be engaged. When the car was shut off the clutch came back up fine and behaved as intended, gears also changed fine. Car was started again and same thing, clutch stuck down. We tried a couple more times and had no luck. It was 1:30 am so we just pushed it in my garage.

Kind of stuck now, we were thinking it was the master or slave clutch cylinders, but the seller just told me the master is new. What does not make sense to me is the fact that it behaves fine with the car on but not with it started. I have not seen behaviour like this on other cars when the slave or master clutch cylinders fail. I'm used to it sticking with the car on or off when one of those fails.

Anyways, I'm hoping someone on here has come across this issue before as I am really bummed out and a bit stuck at the moment.

SUMMARY

- Clutch was slipping under very heavy load, but working fine with more conservative tunes
    - Car was transported on a trailer and issues started at the final destination
    - Clutch is sticking to the bottom when the car is on and will not switch gears.
    - Clutch behaves normal when the car is off and the gears switch fine.
    - Seller of the car indicated to me that the master clutch cylinder is new.

Thank you very much in advance!
    Last edited by menace; 09-18-2011, 11:49 AM.

clutch is most liekly done...if master cylinder is new.....slave cylinder???? check that anyway hth
    Toy: BNR32
    DD: R50

Comment

Id say get someone to depress the clutch and make sure the slave piston is pushing the clutch fork. If its all moving well and good the problem lies inside the bellhousing.

Comment

Update. Went over it with a friend this morning once I finally got moving. Fluids were supposedly just changed but seems the clutch may have been missed or there is a leak the previous owner was not aware of.

Clutch resevoir was almost empty. Decided to top it off and bleed it. Did the usual hose to container deal. Found lots of air in the system, it was also frothy and looked like water and other black crap in the system. Decided to flush the whole thing and its working decent now.

Throw out bearing sounds like its going to go soon, but otherwise Godzilla lives.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, it may still be of very good use as I am still nursing some clutch issues.

Cheers!
        Last edited by menace; 09-18-2011, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X