BNR32 GTR Having issues with steering stiffening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNR32 GTR Having issues with steering stiffening

Hey guys, I have a R32 GTR and I'm having issues with the steering. For some reason the steering wheel turns really easy some times, and there's other times its stiff as hell to steer. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I've checked the lines and there's no leaks, the fluid is full, and I've replaced the power steering pump and it still hasn't solved my problem.
    1995 R33 Skyline GTR

1991 R32 Skyline GTR - SOLD

has hicas been removed? or are you running an aftermarket steering wheel?
    1992 Nissan Skyline GTR
    2003 GMC Sierra SLT
    1972 Datsun 510

Comment

It still has super hicas in it and hooked up
      1995 R33 Skyline GTR

Comment

aftermarket steering wheel? if it does make sure the hub that is installed is the proper one for the car with the steering sensor in it. if it doesnt this screws with your hicas and speed sensitive steering and can make the steering stiff etc. also check your fuses
        1992 Nissan Skyline GTR
        2003 GMC Sierra SLT
        1972 Datsun 510

Comment

It still has the stock GTR steering wheel in it.
          1995 R33 Skyline GTR

Comment

i would check all the fuses and make sure the system is bleed properly so there is no air in it.
            1992 Nissan Skyline GTR
            2003 GMC Sierra SLT
            1972 Datsun 510

Comment

I checked all my fuses and everything looked fine there, and I haven't found any air in the system at all.
              1995 R33 Skyline GTR

Comment

Originally posted by dak24 View Post
                Hey guys, I have a R32 GTR and I'm having issues with the steering. For some reason the steering wheel turns really easy some times, and there's other times its stiff as hell to steer. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I've checked the lines and there's no leaks, the fluid is full, and I've replaced the power steering pump and it still hasn't solved my problem.
                Did you check your steering shaft's U joints? My Sentra had the same issue which I let worsen until the steering started locking up while turning...
                1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Yup, there's no issues there. It goes back and forth, I can start driving the car and then it will act like there is no power steering but all of a sudden it will be working fine again.
                  1995 R33 Skyline GTR

Comment

If the hicas screws up it will be tough to steer. When I had hicas installed I noticed with the hicas disconnected it would feel as if there is no power steering. The hicas light will come on. Make sure your's isn't burnt out!

Comment

The bulb is good. It lights up everytime when I first turn turn the key on. Is there a speed sensor that might cause it to act this way if it's broken?
                      1995 R33 Skyline GTR

Comment

there is the speed sensitive steering sensor in the steering wheel hub. which skyline is this because i dont think you live far from me. ive probably seen it. you can pm me if ya like. i just live in waverley but work in dartmouth
                        1992 Nissan Skyline GTR
                        2003 GMC Sierra SLT
                        1972 Datsun 510

Comment

HICAS ECU looks at speed via dash (speedo cable), steering angle sensor behind steering wheel. I think is also connected to divertor in engine bay (next to battery) and to divertor near rear wheel on drivers side which if faulty could cause HICAS light to light up on dash.

Also HICAS light on dash can light up if powersteering fluid level is low in powersteering resouvoir in engine bay. It should happen when cornering, where fluid moves to one side of resouvoir.

HICAS ECU controls a solenoid on front steering rack that controls steering weight when car speed increases.

Here's how electric powersteering works and how to play with the weight of steering -

The ECU mentioned in link above is the HICAS ECU on Skylines.

When HICAS ECU failed on my car due to leak in rear bootlid, it allowed water to drop onto HICAS ECU which entered breather holes (water marks on top of HICAS ECU) and damaged the HICAS ECU circuit board. The result was that steering was heavy. Also had bad solders just like MAF, etc. Replaced HICAS ECU and turned upside down so breather holes face downwards, problem solved.

Also GTR HICAS ECU is different with I think programming to GTS HICAS ECU, so if have to replace ECU, look at part numbers and select correct HICAS ECU.
                          Last edited by Skym; 01-02-2012, 10:11 AM.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Come to think of it when I broke a speedo cable my steering was super stiff...

Comment

You might want to get your HICAS into diagnostic mode and check for codes.
                              R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Working...
                              X