Stock bore aftermarket pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock bore aftermarket pistons

Is anyone using aftermarket pistons with stock bore? Usually Ive always gone .20 over to clean up it up a bit and ive heard stories of the pistons not fitting right once they have been through the heat cycle and either have been to loose or to tight after. I have a chance to pick up some stock bore Wiseco pistons for a killer price brand new. Ive also emailed them directly to see what their thoughts are but I thought I would come on here

Thanks

Originally posted by EggplantS14 View Post
    Is anyone using aftermarket pistons with stock bore? Usually Ive always gone .20 over to clean up it up a bit and ive heard stories of the pistons not fitting right once they have been through the heat cycle and either have been to loose or to tight after. I have a chance to pick up some stock bore Wiseco pistons for a killer price brand new. Ive also emailed them directly to see what their thoughts are but I thought I would come on here

Thanks
    I would definitely go over bore. that way you know you wont have clearance issues. Dont take a short cut just cause you have a deal through somewhere. I also have a set of weisco pistons if you are interested. not saying all this just to get you to buy them, but it seriously is a good idea to bore out when building an engine. stock is 86mm and i have 5 86.5mm bore weisco pistons with upgraded pins. i would give you the 5 for 250 bucks plus shipping. you would just need to buy a new one from weisco. they were in the car for 2000kms. floated a valve in cylinder 6, had to bore out again. if you are interested.

But seriously, dont stay with stock size. the pistons are the last thing you want to have troubles with with a rebuild. becuase you have to rip everything apart again.

Comment

I had this talk with a pretty knowledgeable machinst, he said engines such as ours with such high mileage, age and such abuse its not uncommon for the cylinder walls to eventually go out of round, at that point the only thing you can really do is overbore cause you will be losing compression at stock bore even if you rehoned the walls, wear on ringland would be unevenly loaded as well which potentially reduces lifespan of the engine

Comment

^ I am a machinist and I approve this
        message hehe

Comment

I am going to run my engine till she pops. But when all said is done how much do you think it would be to do all the machine work? I know it will differ I just want to have an idea for when I build a motor.
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

For just bottom end work, cleaning the block, balancing and polishing the crank, and reassembly, I believe I was around 1500-2000 dollars range.

Comment

For labour***

Comment

Yeah Ive heard the same thing about all high mileage engines not just the rb series. I might run the stock block for the season and pick up a spare block to build slowly. I only plan on making 450hp and keeping the revs down. Im pretty sure with the proper engine helpers and a good tune this wont be a problem to hold me out till mid summer where I hope to have the other engine built and ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by cschepp View Post
                  I am going to run my engine till she pops. But when all said is done how much do you think it would be to do all the machine work? I know it will differ I just want to have an idea for when I build a motor.
                  .5 over on mine was $40 per cylinder, just for the bore, theres a start

Comment

Just buy some stock sized Cosworth pistons. Save all the cylinder thickness for maximum reliability. You're not gonna see much gainst from .5 overbore.
                    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                    lol

Comment

I actually had it all done at a local shop and heres the breakdown of the costs:

bore+hone $190
                      micropolish+crank collar fitting $180
                      resurface head + block $150
                      hot tank block $45

if you assemble the short block yourself you save yourself quite a lot of money, as long as you check the bearing clearances with pastigauges and have a good torque wrench should be no problem

oh and about the crank balancing, the shop said it wasn't necessary unless the crank has been damaged or if the new piston/rod's weight is significantly different from stock
                      Last edited by gezed; 01-23-2012, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gezed View Post
                        I actually had it all done at a local shop and heres the breakdown of the costs:

bore+hone $190
                        micropolish+crank collar fitting $180
                        resurface head + block $150
                        hot tank block $45

if you assemble the short block yourself you save yourself quite a lot of money, as long as you check the bearing clearances with pastigauges and have a good torque wrench should be no problem

oh and about the crank balancing, the shop said it wasn't necessary unless the crank has been damaged or if the new piston/rod's weight is significantly different from stock
                        I beleive a stock RB26 crankshaft will start to vibrate at 7200 RPM. I would have it done if everything is opened up already...
                        03 lancer dead
                        68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                        05 chevy silverado L33
                        2010 crv Wife's ride
                        1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Working...
                        X