Arp rod bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arp rod bolts

Hey guys putting my engine together and the arp instructions say to torque to 45 ft lbs I read that other people torque them to 65 ft lbs. anyone have any ideas
    95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

43 lb to 45 lb for the rods is correct . The arp rod bolts should be torqued , left for a few hours , loosened then re-torqued , left for a few hours then finally torqued again - this ensures that the rod bolts have stretched as much as they are going to and that the torque stay accurate. You don't have to be this anal , but this is how a blueprinted engine is done. Same for mains and head studs.

Did you check the clearences ?

Comment

65ft lb may be with 30wt engine oil rather than arp moly lube, with lube is definately 45ftlb

and yeah, if you are using oem rods with arp rod bolts, id suggest getting the big end resurfaced to accommodate for the significant increase in clamping force, when i torqued the oem rod bolts by angle, the actual torque figures were only ~25ftlbs with 30wt oil

Comment

Ok thanks
        I'm going to try both methods by angle and by ft lbs and see what the difference is.
        I've check the crank with a micrometer and everything was oem I have the cranks and pistons assembled and everything is turning free
        95 R33 Gtr

Comment

The shop that is building my block is assembling the rods torqued with bearings installed , heating them to operating temp and measuring the internal bearing size , then heating the crank and measuring that to make sure clearences are spot on . Even brand new carillo H-beam rods had to be resized for the shells , once warm and assembled they wre essentially oval inside .

Comment

I can see where your going the extra length to make sure everything is perfect. But I think If I'm re using the oem rods with new rod bolts and bearings that the clearances shouldn't change.
            I have someone with me thats been rebuilding engines for approx 35 years and he says that the bearings
            Have a thin coating for the first start up and we coated the bearings with white grease... That way the oil won't run off.

But back to the Rods And clearances everything was in spec so he says it will be fine since there was no damage to the crank or Rods there is no need to change anything on it since it all ran fine before
            95 R33 Gtr

Comment

On a second thought I'm gonna plastiguage it to make sure
              95 R33 Gtr

Comment

Working...
              X