Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB26 producing motorcycle-esque sound

Pretty much what the title says.

I've come across GTRs that produce a very specific, beautiful sound . Sounds reminiscent of a high-performance motorcycle. Such as a Hayabusa.

But not too long ago, i came across a prime example of what i'm talking about.

Now you might think "this is the most arbitrary-a** thing you could possibly start a discussion about". But i think it's pretty damn important/questionable. And mysterious too.

Is it a specific type of exhaust that will give it this sound. Just a specific exhaust, or the exhaust in question (?) coupled with a specific tune?

If you watch the beginning, you'll notice how LOW the engine sounds while it's just cruising slowly. Then, when it goes for the launch @ 1:06, you hear it. 1:13, that NASTY sound rings out into the streets.

I KNOW what a screamer pipe sounds like. Na-Uh! No WAY!

What the HELL do you have to do to a Skyline GTR to make it sound like that?

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

What your hearing is a subtle mixture of a freshly picked straight six , a pinch of hot cams , a generous dash of monster exhaust with straight through mufflers , and a copious amount of turbo boost . mix with 9000+ rpm for about 5 seconds and you'll enjoy that sound time and time again

Comment

Originally posted by cortexx View Post
      What your hearing is a subtle mixture of a freshly picked straight six , a pinch of hot cams , a generous dash of monster exhaust with straight through mufflers , and a copious amount of turbo boost . mix with 9000+ rpm for about 5 seconds and you'll enjoy that sound time and time again

AAAAHHHHH! Mr. Cortexx. You always seem to deliver.

Yes, yes. I was suspecting a certain type of cam, with high lift. And an increased RPM range. But that's it. I was too focused on that beautiful sound. Just think about what's going on through other people's minds, if they hear that at night? HKS 272s oughta do the trick? What do you think? They've got a pretty damn high lift (up to 11.5). Or are there even nastier cams?

I just thought it was a specific type of exhaust to be honest. And the only thing that came to mind was a straight pipe. But i just asked for safe measure, to satisfy my curiosity.

Heard RB20s with straight pipes. Sound similar enough. Like bikes. Except even better

Is it just me, or do straight exhausts always bring out the best in an engine's sound? Regardless of configuration/number of cylinders?

Be it a I6, or V8. It doesn't matter.

I'm guessing because it simply flows as freely as possible that way? There's nothing to interfere with the sound that would otherwise be different right at the first exhaust opening.

But you said striaght through mufflers specifically. Huh?

Also, is it just me, or does that exhaust look larger than 3 inches?

Comment

Full titanium exhausts tend to have a higher pitch as well. It also depends on other resonators in the system.
        My HKS muffler with Greddy Extension Front Pipe has a very deep pitched sound to it, whereas Kakimotos and titanium exhausts have higher pitches.
        RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
        http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
        1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

I've always related that sound to a large single turbo GTR. A large exhaust, single turbo and some cams will likely make that same sound. Just watched some more youtube vids of big single GTRs and they sound very similar.

R32.4 GTR

Comment

My Skyline sound the same with single turbo with straight exhaust hks muffler but doesn't have cammed idle sound

Comment

Aftermarket cams + extra capacity + equal length exhaust manifold, exhaust design, etc help give it that deeper, smooth lumpy sound, higher rpm sound. Kakimoto makes a exhaust that produces a similar sound with above mods.

R31 GTS-R, Hakosuka get their unique sound from the equal length exhaust manifold, exhaust housing on turbo (GTS-R), exhaust design, cams.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I've have heard a similar on a BNR32 before, I think he has Kakimotos. And he still has twin snails. The downside was it still is noisy even if you are inside the car. The owner was going to do some sound proofing though.

Comment

DAAAAAAAAAAMMM that sounds sooo sick I would love that kind of sound

Comment

that 2.8 stroker has something to do with that sound too?
                    My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

Gives it that deeper tone at idle, etc.

Group-A R31 GTS-R (RB20DET-R) has a similar sound and is due to equal length exhaust manifold, etc -

The late Peter Brock in a Group C A9X Torana vs one of Rod Marklands former Skaife/Richards Group A HR31 GTS/R Skylines. A great battle with some great sidew...
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

That's the best sounding car I've ever heard. Wow

Comment

Now that we're on the topic of materials (somewhat). I'd like to ask THIS now;

Ok... if titanium gives a higher pitch sound. What about internals?

Nowadays, it's either forged aluminum, or titanium. For pistons/rods mainly.

So, would titanium INTERNALS also make the sound higher-pitched?

If so...i know what i'm doing.

Comment

Yup, you want that sound, you need to pony up the cash for a titanium exhaust. High carbon stainless can get close to that "ringing" that gives it that sound but still won't give you that. Internals won't do anything, it's the harmonics of the titanium walls that make up the exhaust that gives it that high pitch.

My 4" in mild steel with be much more barratone.

Jon.
                            Last edited by Dragon Humper; 07-27-2012, 01:59 AM.
                            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Errmm.. can someone explain straight through mufflers? (didn't know there were specific MUFFLERS..)

I know what a straight PIPE is. But straight through muffler? I'm clueless.

Comment

Working...
                              X