Tomei Procam setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomei Procam setup

Long story short I can get a really good deal on a set of Procams for my gtr (270, 10.25mm) ex & in, but I was wondering what else needs to be done other than shims, or is that it? Head is stock I think, and if I do go with the purchase adjustable cam gears will go along with...

anyone else running these, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think (anyone can correct me here) that cams over like the poncam type B (260 9.15) will need head work. Machining to clear the lobes...
    My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

Its the lift that's the problem. Any camshaft with a lift over I believe 9.8 needs lobe clearance machined into the head. Could be 9.5 but I know 10 lift needs it 100%

Comment

As above, plus thicker shims or tomei buckets. Cam gears and a tune recommended for maximum benefit.
        oh hai!

Comment

gonna have to pass on this one, at least for now, but will be getting some type b poncams in spring

Comment

It all depends on the base circle of the cam lobe, if they reduced the base circle (and thicker shims would be needed) then you should be ok. There is no hard and fast rule on how much lift requires bucket bore clearancing because you can limit the height of the lobe from the centerline of the cam by reducing the base circle. You won't know for sure untill you either measure the base circle or plug those suckers in the head and check the clearance.

Jon.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

With new cams you should change valve springs (supports higher lift), solid lifters (new stock solid lifters), shims. Lifters are bed in with new cams.

Tomei recommend to switch to their lifters with more than 10.25mm lift -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

the base circle is smaller... no head work is needed besides the +1mm lifter buckets to make up for the smaller base circle as DH said... i had the same cams and the stage 1 valve springs but when my machinist tried to do the valve clearance he was out approx 1mm across the board so thats were the lifter buckets come in... dont try and make some shim work i know others have but i just bucked up and got the proper tomei ones.

Comment

I run pro cams and stock buckets with thicker shims
                  oh hai!

Comment

It will all depend on the machining of your valve setup, each head will be different. I was also told its a good idea to run tomei buckets but I'm sure the stock ones are more than satisfactory given you can obtain the proper clearances without shoving huge shims under it
                    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Hold on... cams that are made for the RB don't just drop in?

I could understand if it was an RB25...but.. WHAAAA?

They don't just drop in, without any hassle?!

Comment

Hmmmm......can't figure out if you are serious or not.

Pon cams should drop right in with no farting around, Pro cams require shimming and/or new buckets. Cams with reduced base circles always require custom shimming.

Jon.
                        Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Some recommend to check and line bore head if necessary, as there might be a slight loss in oil pressure or snap cams when refitting caps if you don't check it.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                          X