Valves remain open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves remain open

I did valve clearance check on the intake side with Tomei Poncams B and everything was ordinary ( some shimming required). The cams were not fully torqued down. I left it alone and came back 2 weeks later for a second time. I torqued the cams to spec, and checked the clearances again. I found the intake valves on #6 remain open with no influence from the cam lobe. I didn't touch the springs or even remove the valve retainers before this. The #6 valves had around 0.5mm of clearance previously. Can anyone explain what is happening and if it is easily resolvable? I doubt springs would just start sagging out of the blue.

If when you torqued the cams down, the piston in # 6 was at TDC and the cam was in the position to open the valve at the top of the lobe. You may have bent a valve :{.
    Get a bore camera and look at the piston head for fresh marks in the carbon of the top of the piston.
    Last edited by speedfreak; 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM.
    Favorites
    lucky_cefiro
    you\'re not listening
    entelijint
    stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
    mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
    Originally posted by specialedition
    He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Don't know history of engine, but I would think you need to do this??? -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Yeah I would say your springs are sticking. Best pull them out before you really damage something
        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

I originally installed them in the factory recommended position, and the #6 lobes were not engaging the lifter during tightening. However, that's not to say damage occurred while turning the cam for checking clearances. There are locations where the cam would not budge. The engine was at #1 tdc the whole time.

Skym, its all stock valve train asides from the pon cams.

I guess I should hope the spring is sticking. It looks like the head has to come off regardless. Should I bother removing and checking all the valves and springs as well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

um, this may be a stupid question but did you make sure the valve shim is dead center when you dropped them down?

I remember when i was installing the buckets and I didnt make sure the shims were centered and its kinda like what you are describing

Comment

piston 1 at tdc mean number 6 was on top too... sorry but you problaly bent the valve
              Last edited by NoLimit0596; 02-03-2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

If your turning the cams only rotating #1 just below TDC will allow for all the pistons to clear.
                If you need valves pm me I have all my used ones just cover the shipping.
                I have a couple new valves oem ones but not sure if they were in or ex.
                Let me know and check for any others you might have damaged.
                Also when you have the valves that are bent out check the valve guides if they are the stock ones for a crack caused by the sideways pressure on the valve head. The cast steel guides are crap and if that piece falls out it will cause damage to the engine and turbine wheels if it makes it that far.
                Last edited by speedfreak; 02-03-2013, 04:31 AM.
                Favorites
                lucky_cefiro
                you\'re not listening
                entelijint

Comment

pm me if you need a couple used valves

consider removing the entire motor and gearbox rather than just the head. removing the head in-car is a bit of a pita, but I've done it.
                  oh hai!

Comment

Thanks for the input and offers guys. I guess I'll take off the head then. Should I check every valve or just the ones on #1 and #6? The engine is on a stand so it should be relatively painless I guess. Where would the world be without some occasional stupidity?

Comment

You should check all the valves.

2 ways to check
                      1st- you can remove the cams so no valves are held open, turn the head so all the intake or exhaust side ports face up.
                      Next take a thin liquid like thinner and put some in each port then look for leakage.
                      A good valve and seat will not leak if any but dripping or pouring out is definitely no good.
                      2nd way is the most accurate but requires dissembling the valve train.
                      Remember to number the valves to the cylinder and there respective location in that chamber before removal.
                      Remove the valve and find a flat surface to roll the Stem on.
                      This will show the wobble in the valve head if there is any.

I would recommend you read up on Lapping Valves before doing it to understand the purpose and pattern your looking for. Or consider an engine rebuilder to do it.
                      Lol
                      I looked up a video for you and it happens to be an rb26
                      YouTube is your friend!
                      Last edited by speedfreak; 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM.
                      Favorites
                      lucky_cefiro
                      you\'re not listening
                      entelijint

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get it done at a rebuilder; don't have what it takes in terms of equipment ( drifts, cleaning) and know-how. I really just want it on the road again lol

Comment

Working...
                        X