Converting wheel bearings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting wheel bearings.

I'm writing this on my phone so it will be short.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried converting from our serviceable twin tapered front hub bearings to a single sealed cylindrical style.

I tore apart a spare set of knuckles I have and after inspecting my bearing the outer hub bearing was shot. There was a massive pit in a section of the bearing cup.
    I'm heading to a bearing shop tomorrow morning to ask if they can source me a sealed unit with the same inside/outside diameter as the original. And I'll just press it in.

I believe this should work without any issue, not to mention the potential savings this will bring GTR owners, as most of us know how expensive wheel bearings are. (Around 600-800 to replace 4 corners) I don't like only replacing 1 at a time.

I've also been lightly researching some upgraded bearing potential and it seems there are quite a few options.

The big question is, can we change to the sealed style? I'm a little new to bearing systems so any feedback would be great!
    Let's learn together

Cheers,
    Brent.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away.

Interesting idea Brent, may have to do a little machining on the knuckle for a snap-ring groove etc, haven't had one of the GTR bearings out yet. Good luck, it would be cool if you came up with a robust and readily available retrofit.

Comment

Our hubs have 2 snap rings. One for inner and one for outer bearings. My thoughts are that if the bearing race is the same height as both our tapered then it should pretty well be a direct swap. Would just need to press out bearings/hub and the bearing cups. Then install first snap ring, press in the new single bearing and install the second snap.

Just a thought. I hope I can figure this out mainly because I don't want to pay top dollar for the bearings. Ill post any conclusive evidence I find as well as a detailed DIY.

Comment

The bearings are $41.65 from nissanparts.cc

I think that's reasonable for bearings, It's doubtful you'll find different bearings cheaper, plus you know these fit. (I bought them and installed 6 months ago)
        Last edited by caliber676; 02-05-2013, 03:51 AM.
        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by caliber676 View Post
          The bearings are $41.65 from nissanparts.cc

I think that's reasonable for bearings, It's doubtful you'll find different bearings cheaper, plus you know these fit. (I bought them and installed 6 months ago)
          I will do this. Thanks man, I forgot what the part number is and haven't had a whole lot of luck searching for them. Surprisingly there isn't much info/testimonials concerning the r32 gtr front hub bearings.

Cheers mate

Part number 40210-05U00 doesn't work on nissanparts.cc. Perhaps there is a new part number?
          Last edited by nimblestix; 02-05-2013, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Upgrade your Nissan with genuine OEM parts, Nismo, Nismo Off-Road & Accessories! Fast shipping, competitive prices. Shop now!

It's the third item down, I forgot the grease seals part numbers though. You'll need 4 for both fronts
            “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Damn....that is cheap. There is some other really cheap stuff on that site too. Project Mu Rotors anyone?

Jon.
              Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Thanks again. I ordered two wheel bearings and four seals, my snap rings were still usable.

If anyone is interested I paid $168.00 shipped to Canada for these parts.
                You can only pay via visa, MC, or discover, and your first month/purchases has to be shipped to your credit card's registered billing address. So no using a cross boarder receiving address
                the difference in shipping cost between here and USA was $25.00

I'm assuming there is still going to be some rape from customs when they arrive.

Cheers.
                Nissanparts.cc has my vote for most. It is hard to search certain part numbers. Ie: I was searching for the bearings # and didn't know that the particular part on that website required a prefix "m-" to it. That's where my troubles came in.

All good now.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away.

Comment

Working...
                X