Need HELP with loud whining noise coming from transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need HELP with loud whining noise coming from transmission

Car just started making loud whining noise from transmission. at first thought it was front differential so i removed 4wd fuse to eliminate front diff. Whining noise still was there. Sounds like a super charger. During normal driving car sounds fine and no problems with tranny shifting. During heavy acceleration the whining noise is there. Almost like when its in boost. let off gas and its gone. Any thoughts or previous issues you guys have dealt with. From doing an online search it possibly could be throwout bearing or something involving clutch. Theres no slippage at all from clutch. Six puck clutch with light weight flywheel

Not saying this is gtr specific but most of the transmissions that come through our shop with noises are due to low fluid levels. Pull the check plug out and check before digging into other problems. Start with the easiest things first
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Or could be pinion bearing noise from rear diff.
      Favorites
      lucky_cefiro
      you\'re not listening
      entelijint
      stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
      mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
      Originally posted by specialedition
      He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

will check fluids this weekend. dont think its rear diff because noise is coming up through shifter

Comment

Check the fluid level and if it looks really bad, try replacing it. If the noise is coming through the shifter I've seen synchro mesh gears and the forks stick and cause a noise. Much like the noise you get through the shifter pushing the stick back into first when your still moving.
          “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Originally posted by speedfreak View Post
            Or could be pinion bearing noise from rear diff.
            +1 to that. Could be this to, mine whined over 80kmh. Changed the rear diff and sound was gone.

Comment

Working...
            X