Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel cut out around corners

Hi guys,

im trying to figure out why my car loses its power while cornering..

say im entering a "round a bout", and i lean into it... the fuel cuts out

if i goose it going on an on ramp.. the fuel cuts out

anytime i want to feel some gforce... the car just sputters..
    as soon as the car is going more or less straight again... it runs great
    i've tried having the tank full, 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4.. and it does it no matter what

and since im the kinda guy who likes to push my car... it frustrates me that my car isnt performing
    especially when it has spent soo much time at the shop

any insight would be appreciated

cheers

Make sure aftermarket fuel pump is hardwired to get the 13.5 volts it needs, not the 10-12 volts at factory. If not getting enough fuel when engine is under boost, engine could stutter or stall.

Also check the height of fuel pump on mounting bracket, as it could be too low sucking crap off bottom of fuel tank or too high causing fuel starvaton when fuel tank is low.

Surge / collector tank in trunk prevents fuel starvation problems when cornering (high G's).

This collector tank has the pumps mounted internally, so is quieter and takes up less space in trunk -

Can use stock GTR pump as a lift pump for fuel from stock tank to collector tank.
    Last edited by Skym; 04-30-2013, 05:20 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Check your fuel filter and fuel pressure/fpr
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

the fuel filter is new, the fuel pump is new

it works perfectly fine in a straight line... pulls hard every time

but whenever im going around a corner or a long bend... the fuel cuts out

Comment

are you sure all your wiring is fine? maybe a wire is moving just enough to cut out a bit on the fuel pump? or an injector?
          Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

I'm having this same issue but only at half a tank or less and is more prone to do it when turning right only started after I installed my aeromotive fuel pump 340lph

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
              Make sure aftermarket fuel pump is hardwired to get the 13.5 volts it needs, not the 10-12 volts at factory. If not getting enough fuel when engine is under boost, engine could stutter or stall.

Also check the height of fuel pump on mounting bracket, as it could be too low sucking crap off bottom of fuel tank or too high causing fuel starvaton when fuel tank is low.

Surge / collector tank in trunk prevents fuel starvation problems when cornering (high G's).

This collector tank has the pumps mounted internally, so is quieter and takes up less space in trunk -

Can use stock GTR pump as a lift pump for fuel from stock tank to collector tank.
              I completely concur with Skym on this. I had this same issue in a GTR I used to own. Voltage to the pump was fine. I think ended up getting the Attain collector and it fixed the problem. I used the stock in tank pump to feed the collector as well. The Sard tanks are priced well. I recall being annoyed after checking Sard prices after I had already installed the Attain collector.

>Kunio<
              KUNIO MURAMOTO / SALES@GTR-GARAGE.COM

Comment

^^ Good idea for high HP cars, but shouldn't have to do an extreme MOD like this to fix the problem.

Check all your fuel pump wiring as stated, maybe go in and double check the install also. Sounds iffy though, as it still happens when full I wouldn't suspect fuel sloshing to be the cause.
                Maybe a f'd up G-sensor could cause this seeing as it's only turning, and happens with a full tank too?
                Would a G-sensor fault cut power?
                What does your front torque gauge do when this is happening?
                '89 GTST - SOLD
                '92 GTR
                '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

As far as I know, G sensor only affect's 4wd ECU.

It happens on racetrack with high G corners (some cars reach 1.2G+ on slicks or semi slicks).

Also GTR's when on street tyres can reach 1.0G+. That is proven in this videoclip, as look at the more than 1.0G+ on the MFD and that R34 GTR is stock -

With fuel tank there can be fumes? from fuel above fuel in tank and that's what you don't want to get through fuel pump (fuel pumps need fuel to cool, lube them). From what I understand, that's why the carbon canister next to stock airbox is there, to help filter fuel tank gasses, destroy those gasses inside engine (to reduce emissions).

Another thing it could be is TPS, as when faulty the TPS can cause engine to randomly stall, hesitate, etc. TPS affect's transient fuel enrichment and if familiar with carb engines you'll know it as an accelerator pump (TPS does the same job, but is a electronic version).

Or have a intake airleak near MAF's that can make engine stutter.
                  Last edited by Skym; 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM.
                  RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

i'll look into the wiring tomorrow,

it went into the shop 3 times to whitehead.. and they couldnt figure it out.
                    they were addressing other stuff too... but it has been a constant problem for me

the car has 440whp... and is plenty fast in straight lines... its fun having the fast car in my group of friends.
                    and crushing 600cc street bikes and ferrari 360 last week

but when ever i'm pushing the car around corners... or on ramps... it just cuts out
                    its frustrating due to the fact this is a race car...and this should be where this car shines!!

thanks for all your insight guys...

also the car seems to idle at 1400-1600 rpms all the time
                    and has i miss in the idle sometimes

i just spent $1500 on having the mafs refurbished and a new crank angle sensor replaced.. at whiteheads recommendation, but it doesn't seem like it did anything to solve the problems i was having

do your cars idle that high?

seems like im just burning 94 gas for no reason

Comment

If your mechanical components in the fuel system are good, ie FPR, injectors, filter, and no leaks what so ever then it has to be an electrical issue.

Is your fuel pressure dropping when turning? Or is your computer cutting injectors from spraying?

If your fuel pressure is constant and good then id say you can rule out your fuel pump and your fuel system and focus on your ecu or input signals and wires that would cut injectors, research to see what sensors may cause this.

I can see why white head suggested to replace these sensors as they are major inputs for fuel delivery but sounds more like an educated guess or a fingers crossed move. I would start with a basic check over the wiring harnesses and connectors by wiggling them around (especially the input sensors for fuel trim/cut) and looking for rpm fluctuations or real time data if you got it for your ecu.

Of course if you measure your fuel pressure and see and problem (may be hard to get readings while cornering your vehicle but with enough duct tape and redneck thinking you can do it, remove rear seats and have someone install a gauge inline or some other wacky idea lol). You really need to know this though because if your fuel pressure is dropping during cornering then its within the fuel system and can be isolated most likely to the pump, wiring or quite possibly the relay (which I have heard in rare cases cut power to the high current circuit from loose solenoid and movement). The other problem I have heard once a very long time ago was a vehicle experiencing similar issues having a fuel leak which based on the point of the leak would spill fuel and starve the engine on cornering, more so in one direction.

Lets hope it ends up being a mechanical issue in the fuel system as chasing electrical gremlins in wiring harnesses is about the worse job for a technician.
                      Last edited by caliber676; 05-01-2013, 11:18 PM.
                      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

You can plumb in a fuel pressure gauge in a feed line easy enough. Auto meter at napa are
                        Cheap and can be fitted in your lines near the rail.
                        Your fpr still has its vacuum hose on it?

You should have a second person ride with you to help diagnose
                        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                        lol

Comment

Also if fit collector tank, run some teflon lined fuel hoses to prevent fuel smell in cabin.
                          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I completely agree with skym on the teflon but where does one buy that? Only places I've found we're in the uk (tork uk I think) and another in Australia, both with rediculous shipping costs
                            Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                            Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                            Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                            Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                            White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                            lol

Comment

seems like turning left under boost is the issue

i tried both ways and it only sputters going left

wiring looks ok,

i guess im putting in a fuel gauge this weekend

Comment

Working...
                              X