Trans not mounting after clutch change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans not mounting after clutch change

Hey all so I changed my clutch to a os giken gt2cd and when I got tranny back in place it don't want to sit snug to motor at the top any ideas on why?

Sounds like you need to back off the pressure plate and use a centering tool for the discs.
    If they dropped down it won't line up.
    Favorites
    lucky_cefiro
    you\'re not listening
    entelijint
    stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
    mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
    Originally posted by specialedition
    He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Ok so backed tranny out again and it looks like the input shaft is gettin hung up on the pilot. But if im able to get the tranny in all but a half inch or so shouldn't it slide into it?

Comment

Do you have a clutch aligning tool?

Sometime I have had to rotate the crank while someone tries to push the tranny together when it gets hung up.
        Favorites
        lucky_cefiro
        you\'re not listening
        entelijint

Comment

I got the input threw by turning the shaft so it was threw the splines on the clutch and all that but it won't go back into the pilot in the crank it seems like the shaft is to long all of a sudden or something I'm just so confused

Comment

3rd attempt, do you have a clutch aligning tool? Lol

If you did use one then all you need to do is tilt it left to right a few times while slipping it on and it will eventually go in

Comment

Sorry lol yes I used a alignment tool but not a spline alignment tool I just rotated the tail till it slipped threw. Also when I backed it out today I looked in there and it looks like it was getting hung up around the 5 o'clock position on the pilot. I have hady tranny out a few times in the past still with stock clutch on but when putting back on things went quite smooth minus starter bump and when I got to the half inch or so point I used the housing bolts in a crisscross pattern to pull it together and it all went good but this time the bottom would go in and the top would a little bit but would not go all the way.

Comment

hahaha frank can we get alignment tool one more time.. buddy take that thing back get the proper size alignment tool most clutches come with it but if u bought an use clutch u def dont have it..and the other things that could stop it from going in smoothly is the dowel pins an the dust shield..

Comment

just realize i say alignment not one but twice meant to say aligning..

Comment

No I bought it right from os giken and it didn't come with one but one of the shops in calg let me use one of there's it's a 16mm witch I told was the one I needed. I talked to the guy at the shop and he said it don't make sence either since the bottom would go in but not the top.

Comment

I don't know every clutch out there, I've never changed to a twin plate before but arnt those harder to line up? Basicly you gotta line it up properly with the os giken tool not touch or bang the car at all while slipping the tranny on or else one of the clutch plates could possibly move a little, and then get a friend to rotate the driveshaft while the car is in gear to line up the splines

Another question, are you using the oem flywheel? Or an os giken flywheel?

Comment

It was a full kit from os clutch/flywheel/release bearing. I was told that once you use align tool then tighten pressure plate then slide tranny in rotating tailshaft while in gear and it will slide right in but having nothing but problems with it.

Comment

You have a twin disc clutch right.

I see mixed os clutch images on google but if each of your friction discs has its own spline for the tranny to go through you definitely need to use a splined aligning tool.
                          Also I would really recommend to not use the bell housing bolts to pull the two together.
                          I have seen people crack them doing that.
                          See if anyone has an old transmission input shaft to use as to align it.
                          Favorites
                          lucky_cefiro
                          you\'re not listening
                          entelijint

Comment

i read somewhere on here that the 16mm was too long and it needed to be shorter like a 12mm or a 14mm I am not too sure

ever think that the release bearing is hitting the clutch?

if this clutch is taller by half an inch then it seems like the tranny input shaft lenght might be missleading, what your feeling might actually be the clutch botoming out on the release bearing

measure both complete clutch kits for difference in size

if your bolting the same tranny to the same motor with the same dust plate then that is not the problem, you eliminate that possibility and look for something you recently changed aka clutch

if you wanna simplify things, remove your release bearing and try to mount the tranny, when i mounted my rb25 tranny on my rb26, there was a set screw to set the depth of the fork holding the release bearing, you might need to adjust that

Comment

and I never asked... push or pull type clutch? i think early gtrs had push type?

Comment

Working...
                              X