Adjusting TDC on RB26 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjusting TDC on RB26 head

I just purchased a used RB26 head to swap mine out.The head I got has a bit of an issue, which I am not sure is fixable. I will try and put up a pic of what I saw, in the hopes that someone can shed some light on how to go about fixing it.There are dents on cyl 6, due to a rod breaking and the piston hitting the top (see pics at the bottom).In addition to that, I also want to learn how to bring the intake and exhaust cams to the TDC setting. I've tried to read the GTR manual Pgs 71, 72, 73 (relating to adjusting cams for TDC) many times, but the language seems confusing to me. As I understand, it doesnt really matter whether I rotate the cams clockwise or anti-clockwise, as long as the cylinder 1 lobes are not pressing the valves down, its all good. But that seems absurd since unless the lobes are facing downwards, the valves dont open up. So the cam lobes could be facing upwards and the valves for Cyl 1 would be closed. How do I set the cams up before installing the head on the block, to make sure that they are at TDC? Additionally, once Cyl 1 is at TDC (all four valves have to be completely closed for it or not?), which other cylinder's valves would be open or partially open?Thanks in advance,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by judasentinel; 05-14-2013, 05:19 PM.
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

In your first picture I think I see marks on the valves that look like it kissed the piston.
    Before you go and install that head have it checked.
    As for those scars in the head.
    Leaving sharp edges can create hot spots that lead to pre ignition.
    If you remove the damage you may alter the combustion chamber cc.
    It probably won't be much if you carefully file the edge even with the rest of it.
    Favorites
    lucky_cefiro
    you\'re not listening
    entelijint
    stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
    mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
    Originally posted by specialedition
    He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Originally posted by speedfreak View Post
      In your first picture I think I see marks on the valves that look like it kissed the piston.
      Before you go and install that head have it checked.
      As for those scars in the head.
      Leaving sharp edges can create hot spots that lead to pre ignition.
      If you remove the damage you may alter the combustion chamber cc.
      It probably won't be much if you carefully file the edge even with the rest of it.
      Yes, I think the valves did kiss the piston, but I tried to open and close the valves and they do it just fine, with no lateral movement indicative of a bent stem. They sit snug, so I dont know.

As far as the sharp edges and the dent are concerned, can they be fixed without having to resurface the head?
      (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
      SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
      HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

Take it to a machine shop.

Trying to push open a valve is not a proper check.
        If you don't and put that head on you could be setting yourself up for a but night of drinking and crying yourself to sleep.
        Favorites
        lucky_cefiro
        you\'re not listening
        entelijint
        stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
        mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
        Originally posted by specialedition
        He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Working...
        X