Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1989 GTR models with electrical issues???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 GTR models with electrical issues???

Hello,

I will be purchasing a R32 GTR this coming year and have a good friend who owns a '90 who is telling me to not get an '89. He said that he has heard about electrical issues and gremlins on the '89 models. Being that this is a dream car of mine, as it is for everyone, I want to avoid any issues if I can. Its not like it would be a huge deal waiting for a few more months, but wanted to see if anyone here has any feedback on these issues for '89 models. If it is a far and few between issue that I shouldn't be concerned about I may just bite the bullet to be part of the 1st US legal wave of imports.

Thanks-

I've owned an 89 since 2005. I've never heard such thing. Where did he read that lol

Only issue with an 89 is the same as the 90 (which he has) and some 91 which is the short oil pump drive collar. Stay off the rev limiter. Other than that, it's nearly 25 years old so don't expect a real clean reliable car.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

They're all older cars. People always say that the mafs are crap, ignition coils are bad. In reality those parts have been functioning for most likely the entire life of the vehicle which is extremely impressive but are starting to sh*t the bed in this time. Best advice to give you is always replace with oem electronics if you can
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Ive got an 89, my only electrical "problem" is that my clock dont work lol

Comment

Electrical gremlins come from previous owners who didn't know what they were doing when they installed additional stuff, i.e. gauges, DRL, etc.
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Awesome guys I appreciate the feedback, I will have to ask him about where he read/heard that. Looks like I will be looking at one of the first wave cars to hit the US in a year.

Comment

I know of a silver 89 for sale in Alberta. Good condition, runs, asking around 11k
              No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

^^^ I have been dealing with Michael Kent from RightDrives for the past several months and will be bringing over a stock R32. I have contemplated just doing it myself and bringing one across the boarder to save some money but there are several reasons why I am using their services.

1st and for most is in 2005 when I was living in California I received a DUI. I fought it, was a BS charge, got one count dropped for being under the influence because I passed all their tests. But its still on my record and Canada says No to me coming over, so it would be hard to look for and see any prospective cars.

2nd the service that they perform on the cars prior to delivery. Not saying that all sellers are shady but sometimes people neglect to truly divulge issues or problems, or may play off the severity there of. So for the piece of mind that a mechanic has inspected/serviced/ and done a tune up makes me a little more warm and fuzzy.

3rd the in house warranty and financing available. The car will of course receive modifications but not necessarily right away and all at the same time, so a warranty to cover issues on a dream car I have been waiting for ads to the warm and fuzzys.

4th Delivery to my doorstep. Not only can I not go into Canada, but if I time it right I can either have that childhood feeling when the car gets delivered around either my 33rd birthday (October) or Christmas. That is why I need to know if there are any issues with the '89s if I want to hit one of those to dates, otherwise just wait and get an early '90.

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Its so worth the wait. Every spring the car re-reminds me how stupidly well Nissan got this combination so right. I took a guy for a ride this spring that owns a RWD Lambougini and i scared the sh1t out of him. Not just the raw pull either, I pulled full throttle in 2nd gear around an off camber curve and "defied physics" while pulling a full G in thrust. I've ridden in a Suburu through the same curve, pushed way more with half the HP. My chassis setup is bone stock.

Jon.
                  Last edited by Dragon Humper; 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Its such a nail biting wait. I come from Subaru's, owned 5 so far, and have gone on many spirited drives with my buddies GTR. Some turns lets just say I mutter to myself WTF as he pulls away.

Comment

Nismo S-tune, you say the oil drive problem was fixed in 1991? I thought it was in 93 that they fixed the short drive issue. If you are correct, that would mean my pump drive would be the longer and better version! Please tell me you're correct.
                      1992 Skyline GTR - Garage Queen
                      2009 Dodge Caravan - Woopee
                      1989 240sx - Rusty Beater
                      1979 Nomad Skyline - 23' Camper Trailer

Comment

Hugh brain fart maybe, I thought it was changed 1/2 way through 91 so not all 91s had that fix. Could be 93, sorry I forget, tired ..

Either way, a 1989 has the problem but does mean you must rebuild it and fix the issue, lots of head cars are nearly 25 years old on the stock engine and still running. Just stay away from the rev limiter, stay under 8000rpm (if the limiter is raised) and don't shock load/power shift your gearbox too hard.
                        You'll be fine. I had an 89 and had no issues while following this simple "no street ricing" rule.

Edit:
                        Found a read up for you:

Last edited by NismoS-tune; 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM.
                        Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                        Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                        Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                        Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                        White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                        lol

Comment

That was a good article, I have researched about the crank collar issue on the early make GTR's before and is something I will be addressing first. As far as electrical goes, doesn't seem like '89 users experience any issues out of the ordinary. Going to knock on wood and order one to get as the best Bday present to myself ever 😬

Comment

The crank part number in FAST changes on the 03/93 models from what I recall. Anything before that is not a fixed collar. (that's off the top of my head. I know for a fact it wasn't in 1991 though)

Edit:

Originally posted by xcye View Post
                            The Oil Drive problem was fixed by Crankshaft with part #12200-05U02, which was introduced in Feb of 93. Therefore, any R32 GTR produced in/after March, 93 was fixed, while those produced in/before January, 93 were not. Those produced in Feb 93 were on the border so they could be fixed or not.
                            Last edited by DarkCaporaL; 09-22-2013, 07:25 AM.
                            R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
                            http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Why not get a 94..thats what I will be purchasing from right drive.
                              1993 GTR
                              1992 GTS-T Type - M (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X