Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning

Ok... I just have a few questions on tuning.. I just had my car tuned at a pretty well known shop, I'm no tuner, and don't really know what I'm doing.. I have a haltech platinum pro...

About half way through the session he said that he only tuned the top part of the map, just in boost I guess,if I wanted him to tune for drive ability, it takes a long time and I'd have to pay big time. Something he prob should have said in the beginning. now just normal driving, around 2000 -2500 rpm the afrs are sitting around 10-11... Way too rich,,, and every time I change gears, revs drop to around 2500 , just getting into boost ( around 0 psi)and it totally leans out 17-18 afr, and if kinda just sticks there with no power, slowly revs to 3000 and gets on it's way again... It's really not that drive able... he said I will have to street tune myself.... I keep trying,, small adjustments to the map but really, there are so many settings I don't know, I don't want to mess it up

It's a lot better in boost , pulls really good

I'm just wondering If this is normal... To not tune the whole map?

Another thing I'm wondering is if I should be seeing my knock light come on all the time? It just flickers really quick, but kinda makes me nervous,

I'll prob go back next week to ask them.... All in all , I'm not too happy with it

To be honest, it was the cheapest place I found,, but I didn't want half a tune lol , should I just find somewhere else to take it?

I don't really have any car friends to ask so guess I'll have to ask here... Thanks

That's a load of sh1t in my opinion, tuning the drivability shoudnt take that long and really should be done, in car, with the tuner and his laptop fiddling while you drive around for about an hour or so. Any tuner worth a shi1t should know what the tune will look like right off the hop with only a few tweeks to customize to your particular combination of parts.

Jon.
    Last edited by Dragon Humper; 03-30-2014, 03:44 PM.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Take the car back. To many shops get away with shitty work. Tell you are not happy with the service he /she provided.

Comment

He said to come back if there were any problems, sounds like it may need a street tune, makes sense, it's just that one little spot but it's every time I change gears.

Maybe I'm just frustrated too, I've tried a bunch of times but I really don't know what I'm doing, and like dragon said, a tuner will know what a map should look like , I do not .

I guess the haltech basemap dosnt come set up for map, which dosnt make sense to me but he said he had to rewrite the whole map, maybe it took him longer than he expected idk, it was only about 2 hrs

Comment

A good tune assuming thee is nothing wrong with your car shouldn't take longer than 3.5 hours. I wouldn't expect you should spend more than $350.
          Fully Tuned.

Comment

maybe back east, not out here, at least I don't think , I called just about everywhere, 700 + most places,,

Comment

here in qc city, its between 700 and 1000$ for a good tune...
              My sky got 99 problems but to find bitches ain't one

Once you go sky; Parts you're going to buy...

Comment

Mine was done in Montreal. 2012 and 2013. Maybe I got a break because I drove 14 hours
                Last edited by bobbo; 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

really depends on the complexity of the set up. Running stock twins or slightly bigger twins shouldnt take long at all. Now with my set up i was on the dyno for over 8 hours and set a shop record for 56 dyno pulls. Mostly because i had my pump gas tune then basically had to start all over and do a race gas tune adjusting timing all through the map. It really is all dependent on your set up and how anal your tuner is about getting it right. OP if i was you id go back and have them fix it.
                  1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

I'll go back there Monday, see what they say, 56 pulls Jon? Dang!!! Prob ran like a dream after though.

My ignition map is barely changed from the basemap, looks like he just did that in the top area of the map also... Maybe 1-2 degrees off the base..it's very close .

I also thought he would have adjusted the injector dead times, it's still the numbers that I put in there, I have sard 800 injectors, they are 1.1 ms , but the haltech has deadtimes over different voltage, I'm not even sure if 1.1 ms was at 12 v, 13, 14 ?

Comment

I got a quote of 800 from the person I intend to get a tune from. He wants a wideband in the car as a minimum requirement. After that he will have my car on a dyno for the full day. Then the next morning it will go back on the dyno for a cold start tune. I don't think that's a horrible price for that, and it allows playing with different setups.

Comment

That's very cheap... If it spends that much time on the dyno...

He also didn't do anything with the cold start, kinda what I'm playing with now, I'm pretty sure I have that figured out

Comment

Let me guess, the said tuner recommend the haltech pro too or did you go to him with it?
                          No build thread.
                          1991 nissan
                          El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

if you dont mind me askin, who did it. i am going in to get a tune on thursday. pm me if u prefer.
                            Trust T618Z,Carrillo Rods,CP Pistons,Tomei 280 10.8 lift ProCams, Tomei Spec C Springs, N1 Block, ARP, ATI, ATL, Bosch 044,Sard 800cc,PFC,Z32 etc.......

Comment

No he didn't actually ,but they tune lots of haltechs I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X