Coolant bleeder sucking air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant bleeder sucking air?

Hi guys, hopefully this question doesn't make me sound too dumb haha. Cars a R32 Gtr.

I flushed my coolant today by draining coolant then opening rad drain and putting garden house in to get some blasting pressure. Then filled with with distilled, two minute drive drain repeat, repeat, repeat. This got me to the point where the water coming out was very faintly brown/yellow. I jacked it up, undid the bleeder on top and slowly filled the rad with coolant. Then I realized I could get the coolant to start coming out the bleeder. I even had a funnel filled right up with coolant on top of the rad. I remembered reading the bleeders get clogged so I carefully drilled out the clog of what looked like calcium, silvery colour.

This is the problem. Now there's suction from the coolant bleeder while the engines running and if I cover the hole with my finger the engine dies. Also when the bolts out the rpms are about 1450, but its always idled high at 1200, its on the list to figure out. But if I start the engine with the bleeder bolt in it's fine.

So why is there suction from the bleeder bolt when there should be a bit of air coming out then coolant??????????

I'm sure I have the right bolt for the bleeder it's directly above the gold sticker that says something like "Do not open when hot" just to the left of cylander 1's injector. If I don't have the right bolt it'd be pretty embarrassing but I pretty sure I've got the right one haha.

The engine coolant temp meters always been at dead center of the guage which I assume is normal. But I did burn through a set of spitfire coil packs pretty quick in one and half yearish so maybe the top of the motor isn't get cooled. Sorry for my lack of knowledge of the cooling system. Now using an chopped short coil pack cover for cooling coils.

Thanks for any help guys!!

Sounds like your undoing a bolt that opens to manifold vacuum. Your cooling system would not affect rpm unless there is a vacuum leak from the head gasket which is very unlikely and also would cause way more problems than rpm fluctuation.
    “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Here is a photo of the bolt I believe to be the bleeder
      Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Working...
      X