Fitment/ suspension issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitment/ suspension issue?

Hey everyone, I'm going to start by saying: suspension geometry/function isn't really my area of expertise, so what I'm asking may sound dumb haha. I can find my way around a car, but as far as what does what in suspension, still a little fuzzy.

I just installed my new wheels ( 18x10.5, +15, 275XL/35 tires) on my BNR32. I have a little rubbing which I expected, but I noticed that one side sits pretty much flush with the fender, while the other side pokes about a 1/4 inch past the fender. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on what may cause something like that?

So far, the only thing I can think of is that I may have installed my coilovers on the wrong sides ( left on right ect.) I don't remember which side I chose for right vs left( I believe I used the drivers side as right, but that was last year). The reason I came to this conclusion is that my ride height is almost exactly a 1/4 lower on my driver side vs the passenger side (which should account for the driver weight if it were reversed?)

Can anyone confirm what side is usually referenced as right/left when referencing JDM vehicles? Or have any other idea of why the passenger side wheels may poke more than the drivers side?

Thanks! -Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Kevin S.

Current: 1992 Skyline GT-R (on the way!)
    EX - 1995 BMW E36 M3
    EX - 1993 Silvia S14 w/S15 Front
    EX - 1990 Skyline GTS-T Type M

Check the camber, might be upper arm problem (bushes failing).

Or the height of the coilover is set lower on one side which is creating more camber on one side.

Ideally you should get the car corner weighted to set it up correctly with driver weight, etc. Visit someone who aligns racecars.
    Last edited by Skym; 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Agreed. Use a measuring tape and get a height for each top mount to spring seat and match evenly at first. Your most likely culprit is camber but it is good practice to check your suspension area for abnormal wear/looseness or bent arms. Since your not too savvy with the suspension area, just reference it with the other side for comparison. At the end of the day your going to want a wheel alignment and get everything dialed in so best just to take a visual for obvious problems and then get an alignment.
      “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Yeah, I ended up checking my chamber on the pass. side and it was out in both the front and rear.
        The car was aligned last year (when I installed my adjustable arms), but apparently not very well. So I measured the driver side and matched the passenger side to it. Now I just need to roll the fenders

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Kevin S.

Current: 1992 Skyline GT-R (on the way!)
        EX - 1995 BMW E36 M3
        EX - 1993 Silvia S14 w/S15 Front
        EX - 1990 Skyline GTS-T Type M

Comment

Working...
        X