Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping noise - 1991 R32 GTR

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an R32 Skyline GTR. I changed the oil 3 days ago to Conventional Castrol GTX 10W-40 and recently started hearing a tapping/knocking noise coming from the engine on cold start.
    The noise stays for a total of 10 minutes after starting up the car that includes 5 minutes of warming up and 5 minutes of driving. It is not very loud but it is very noticeable with the hood popped.

The noise goes away after 10 minutes/ car is fully warm.. I changed the oil to 10w30 today to see if it would make a difference but it didn't.. I've reasearched every forum and cannot find a thread that has a similar problem..

I'm thinking it's the lifters since the noise goes almost completely after the car is fully warmed up. Any suggestions on what I should look into? or perhaps what could be done to fix this issue?

Thanks!

Whats all done to your car? If it has forged pistons it might be piston slap while the car is cold until it warms up. Beyond that I'll let professionals comment because I don't know enough. If its lifters you should be able to check cold clearance by taking valve covers off and using a feeler gauge. Make sure to replace valve cover gasket AND the half moons at the back of the head if you go this route.

Comment

Hi rvander, the car is completely stock apart from a very quite exhaust. Sorry, should have mentioned that..

Comment

Piston slap, wrist pin wear, lifter noise are probably your best bets. I agree, start with valve clearances
        “Hey, come on, its a car right? No. It’s a symbol of your history, its a thread of continuity from which you came to where you are. It’s important that you don’t want to forget who you are.” -Dr.Phil in "Love the Beast"

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Getting it checked by a tuning shop in a couple days. Thought I should get a heads up of what I'm getting into

Comment

Working...
          X