torque numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torque numbers

Has anyone out there got good torque numbers out of an rb? Toyotas make me jelous having torque higher then HP in some cases and gettting it really low in the rpms. Is this obtainable with an rb? More then likely a 25 I would guess.

I think it was chasduran that had decent torque to match his hp numbers, do cams fix this? or can it even be done with just a tune? obvisouly early boost pressure would help. but i would love to have 350hp and 350ftlbs of torque at low rpm.
    Jesse
    1990 HCR32
    2006 Chev Silverado

From what I understand, 4cyl or 2.5-3.0 litre 6 cylinder have longer stroke and more torque. RB20DET is not known for torque due to shorter stroke. Stroking RB20DET with RB26 crank, RB26 conrods, Tomei RB24 pistons can increase capacity, stroke.

Shorter stroke is good for reving a engine higher and is a common mod on NA Nissan V8 racing engines to reach 10,000rpm in Indy cars -

Also more capacity helps with 6 cylinder, like this RB26 vs RB30 dyno chart -

Also cam timing can be adjusted to lower peak hp and gain low to mid torque and ECU retuned to suit. Also cams + cam timing can help to gain more hp down low when fitting bigger turbo's.

Then there's higher compression for better off boost performance, like on a stock RB25DET engine.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

RB20's don't know what torque is. But a 26 I know of made 480awtq

TROL

Comment

So skym your saying, with the right intentions good torque can be made. I never thought of running a thin head gasket but it makes sense. I can assume the right cams could make a big difference too?

Anyone know what kind of difference a front facing plenum makes, if i remember right they tend to decrease torque.
        Jesse
        1990 HCR32
        2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

I had my new rb25 on the dyno last summer. Once we hit peak power we detuned it a bit and i drove off making 380hp and 355 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels

Comment

I read someone say on here that if you go with smaller turbos and a propper tune then you can achieve higher TQ numbers vs Hp but I don't know crap about it. Try searching, it was pretty recent I think

Kyle
            Originally posted by funkymonkey
            You guys need to set up an RSPCS (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Skylines) and take a baseball bat to the heads of owners that bring disrespect to the heritage by being metrosexual knob jockeys behind the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianV8 View Post
              I had my new rb25 on the dyno last summer. Once we hit peak power we detuned it a bit and i drove off making 380hp and 355 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels
              id be more than happy with that, what kinda set up are you running on motor? is boost pretty early?
              Jesse
              1990 HCR32
              2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

JesseM, with the correct mods.

Don't think you need a thinner headgasket, just the stock thinner headgasket, higher compression pistons, etc on RB25DET helps with off boost performance (NA part of engine), as street use is the application engine was designed for.

Staggering the cams, like higher duration on intake, lower duration on exhaust helps with bottom end torque with upgraded turbo's. Tomei mention this in link below -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。

The main part where upgraded cams help, is they let more air into engine at lower rpm's and mixed with more fuel from a ECU retune, provides more power at lower rpm's and more exhaust gas at lower rpm's to get turbo to spool a little bit quicker. But higher duration, lift cams shift peak hp, peak torque up the powerband and creates a cross bow look in bottom of power, torque plots on dyno graph. Can adjust cam timing, reduce boost level to reduce this bow look.

Stock R32 RB20DET longer intake runners, stock R32 RB20DET short runner exhaust, small turbo, small intercooler, small diameter exhaust, low duration cams are best for low rpm torque. Basically a stock R32 RB20DET powered Skyline. Same with RB25DET but has the benefit of higher compression, more capacity for better off boost performance.

Shorter intake is more for mid to high rpm hp gains. Exhaust is opposite, where longer exhaust runners are mid to high hp gains when mixed with bigger diameter exhaust.

Good example of low hp but huge torque down low is rally cars -

Smallish turbo (about the size of a rebuilt stock RB20DET turbo), longer stroke than RB20DET, small 2.5 inch exhaust with cat.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by jessem View Post
                  id be more than happy with that, what kinda set up are you running on motor? is boost pretty early?
                  Running a series one rb25 motor stock internals,
                  series 2 transmission.
                  side feed intake plenum
                  big front mount with 3" intercooler piping
                  q45 throttle body
                  top mount turbo manifold w/ holset turbo
                  550cc injectors w/top feed conversion
                  N1 oil pump
                  stock head gasket
                  arp studs
                  38mm Tial waste gate
                  blitz BOV

And i think thats all of it haha. I was making full boost aka 20 pounds at 4200rpm. Over the winter i've discovered a bunch of boost leaks so i'm hoping i can get it spooled quicker around 4000rpm with those fixed up

I can post pics later if you want

Comment

thanks skym, and brian

good info, it would be great if you post up some pics.
                    Jesse
                    1990 HCR32
                    2006 Chev Silverado

Comment

Originally posted by jessem View Post
                      thanks skym, and brian

good info, it would be great if you post up some pics.
                      or a real dyno sheet

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
                        or a real dyno sheet
                        I can one up your dyno sheet, i have screen shots :P
                        This is what i rolled off the dyno with after we detuned the car. I cranked it back up later on lol. Chew on that a bit mcfly.

and ya my bad made 350 torque not 355 my bad:P

Here is a couple pics hooked up to the dyno

Here is a more close up of the motor right after the install

Comment

Very nice Brian.

Comment

what kind of dyno, i notice weight being factored in which means the numbers are worthless.

Comment

mustang dyno, weight was factored in during tuning to put resistance agains the drums for a more accurate and detailed power curve for tuning purposes. And the weight on the drums lowers the actual power numbers. Those numbers are dyno jet numbers. They also told me to add about 20 to 30hp to my dyno jet run to compensate for mustang dyno's reading low.

So if anything those numbers are lower than the actual. So there goes your theory mcfly

Comment

Working...
                              X