Accelerating Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accelerating Problem

Hey guys.. I drive a 1990 Skyline GTS-T RB20DET.. When I first start my car and hit the highway my car will start to misfire from the exhaust and it feels like it is trying to accelerate but it just cant.. Its easier to say that it chugs along.. It only does that for maybe 3-5km and then it will run fine for the rest of the day.. anybody got any ideas?

i got the same problem and cleaned the maf and changed the plugs it seems to be better

Comment

is the engine cold when it bogs?

does it get better when the engine temp needle stops going up? (when the thermostat opens)
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

yea it seems to only do it when the engine is cold or something.. it doesnt stop doing it right when the needle stops going up but pretty close.. the first time i hit the highway it will do it for like 5km.. then for the rest of the day it will work

Comment

thats normal

just don't push it at all when the engine is cold
          sigpic

Comment

are you sure? my cousin also said that it can be running in cold mode or something because its getting to much fuel.. not sure what that means.. so should i be letting my car warm up before i drive it?

Comment

yes, read this;

sigpic

Comment

interesting.. no body has talked about missfiring though which is weird.. for me it feels lke someone keeps pulling the ebrake.. and i dont think it stops immidiatly when the needle stops moving

Comment

As long as it's fine when it's hot then it's the cold start / warm up maps .. Normal issue im afraid! If this continues later on (normal operating temp) - check coil packs/plugs/clean maf
                  Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
                  www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
                  Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
                  Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

Maf resolder

Comment

it cant be a cold start because when i went to start it to let it warm up it would barely start and when it did it would just stall out

Comment

i have this problem i changed the plugs alittle better ? could it be the coils

Comment

Originally posted by vincegts View Post
                          i have this problem i changed the plugs alittle better ? could it be the coils
                          shouldnt be the coils because it should get worse when it heats up.. mine gets better when it heats up

Comment

ECU throwin any codes other than 55?

Comment

That starting problem can be due to alot of things like airleaks, warmup tables being too rich, dirty IACV, etc. But like I found, incorrect oil (too thick) can be a cause of hard starting and wanting to stall, sluggish acceleration, missing at idle when warm, etc.

Need to have oiltemp gauge and select correct oil based on engine oiltemp -

The UK's largest independent supplier of automotive oils, fluid and parts. We've products to suit any vehicle, from full blown Race / Track weapons, to Daily Drivers looking to save money. Plus FREE expert advice & recommendations - OPIE KNOW OILS

Factory oil is around 7.5w30, but closest oil you can buy is 5w30 or 10W30.

I now run 10W40 vs 10W60 that I ran before which caused starting, acceleration problems.

Popping sound from exhaust tells you engine is running rich (normal during warmup). But if o2 sensor is faulty, can cause engine to run richer after coolant temps reach around 30 degrees. Intake airleaks, atmos vented BOV are other area's to look at.
                              Last edited by Skym; 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM.
                              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                              X