Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon Fibre hoods

All,

I just installed my new CF hood but wants to know if running hood pins will be sufficient? I assume that it will be.

I read horror stories of people having hood pins + hood latch = bad combo..
    Last edited by flipridah17; 08-09-2011, 01:23 AM.

Why would having both be bad...? Sounds extra safe to me? Quite possibly I'm a n00b though...
    Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
    hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

no because OEM LATCH pushes the hood up.. If you accidentally pull it from the inside while your AM hood latch is secured then it can crack..

I am just more concern on making mine dummy proof

Comment

Hood pins are more than sufficient. if your worried about those than run a small lock on each side instead of the pin.

I've got sparco hood pins holding down my carbon fiber and it's 110% safe!...I don't even worry when passing semmi's on the highway.

You will need a hood latch for passing inspection however, so hang on to it just incase.
        Originally posted by Paradis
        ^^ hows not being rich going? ...haters be hatin

Comment

go with aero catch pins. there is another thread on here that the guys pins came undone will driving and hood flew up. plus aeros look so sexy on a cf hood.
          Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Nismo_line View Post
            go with aero catch pins. there is another thread on here that the guys pins came undone will driving and hood flew up. plus aeros look so sexy on a cf hood.
            hehe yeah that's the one I have.. The flush types looks so dope!

Not sure if I will do it or get a shop to do it..

Comment

its not that hard. Rush just put some on his carbon hood. you can pm him if you want details
              Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

A word of caution about the flush mount aerocatch pins. Though they definitely look nice, there is some concern regarding their strength and safety at high speed. Picture how they are mounted to the hood, and the direction of pressure on the hood at high speed. Though you might think that pressure is always pushing the hood down, it can be the opposite. If air entering into the engine bay has no natural exit (hood vents), there is going to be upward pressure on the hood. Similarly, since a coupe is basically a large airfoil and the air going over the vehicle is travelling faster than that underneath (creating a low pressure zone above the car), the pressure inside the engine bay pushes up.

Now, picture how the aerocatch frame is mounted under the hood, with only a few screws/bolts or FRP holding it on underneath. In high-speed tests, it has been shown that the area around these will shear away while the aerocatch stays "latched" to the pin, and off goes your hood. Also keep in mind with FRP hoods is that we don't really know the level of quality of the lamination process - delamination of the hood around the aerocatch may also result in failure. Mounting the aerocatch above the hood and clamped to a backing plate underneath increases the mounting surface and strength tremendously.

I realize this is not an issue if you're not going to be driving at high speed like on a strip or track, but it's an issue to be aware of.
                '93 R33 Gts25T Inked Art Car - SOLD

See the Sharpie makeover, and other inked cars from around the world
                at www.inkedartcars.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjohnny View Post
                  A word of caution about the flush mount aerocatch pins. Though they definitely look nice, there is some concern regarding their strength and safety at high speed. Picture how they are mounted to the hood, and the direction of pressure on the hood at high speed. Though you might think that pressure is always pushing the hood down, it can be the opposite. If air entering into the engine bay has no natural exit (hood vents), there is going to be upward pressure on the hood. Similarly, since a coupe is basically a large airfoil and the air going over the vehicle is travelling faster than that underneath (creating a low pressure zone above the car), the pressure inside the engine bay pushes up.

Now, picture how the aerocatch frame is mounted under the hood, with only a few screws/bolts or FRP holding it on underneath. In high-speed tests, it has been shown that the area around these will shear away while the aerocatch stays "latched" to the pin, and off goes your hood. Also keep in mind with FRP hoods is that we don't really know the level of quality of the lamination process - delamination of the hood around the aerocatch may also result in failure. Mounting the aerocatch above the hood and clamped to a backing plate underneath increases the mounting surface and strength tremendously.

I realize this is not an issue if you're not going to be driving at high speed like on a strip or track, but it's an issue to be aware of.

Very good to know... So if I have a vented hood, from what I gather this is not a concern?
                  Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                  hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

thanks! i think i will get a shop to do it.. Can blame them too if it is not installed right.. jk

Comment

If you do go the hood pin route I would not suggest those cheap $11 mr. Gasket pins. I have been using my sparco pins for two seasons without any issues

Comment

Working...
                      X