Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boost Problems at high Psi - Spark Plugs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Problems at high Psi - Spark Plugs???

So my RB25DET is running a Fuzzy Boost Controller and Apexi SAFC, and all last year and up until recently i was running about 0.8 bar fine all the time. I had a tune-up done and had some spark plugs replaced from the copper to some high performance ones (cant remember if theyre iridium or not...)

Shortly after this anything above 0.6 bar causes severe jerking/flat spots/backfires at high revs, and the higher the boost the lower revs it happens at. Yet if the FBC is off there is no issue.

The only thing changed was the spark plugs, i didnt mess with the ECU or SAFC, yet its fine without the boost turned on!?!?

Ive looked around and seen it might be coil packs or gapping the spark plugs smaller. Or i was thinking changing the spark plugs back to copper ones might fix it??

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Start by pulling your plugs and making sure they are gapped at 0.8mm.

For future reference you can stick to copper, it's cheaper and it does the job.
    R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCaporaL View Post
      Start by pulling your plugs and making sure they are gapped at 0.8mm.

For future reference you can stick to copper, it's cheaper and it does the job.
      What Dark said. I run my car hard at 13.5 psi all day long on coppers. Work great have spares or spares for the price of Iriduims
      Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

try reducing the spark plug gap
        sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

While this topic is open, are spark plug upgrades needed based on boost or hp?

When do RB25 usually need better sp's? Thanks
          1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

I had the same issue with my rb20 and it ended up being a vac leak. See if you forgot to hook up a line and/or if one blew up.

Comment

had the exact came issue. pulled the so called high performance iridium plug tossed em, put copper plug gapped to 0.8mm and she runs like a magical unicorn now
              DRIVE FOR THE LOVE
              1995 NISSAN SKYLINE GT-R R33 V-SPEC GOHAN

Comment

the guy that tunes my car told me its always good to run better then needed spark plugs, I run NGK BKR7E plugs in my 20, gapped to .8 i believe and it made a HUGE difference when i got the car tuned It was breaking up because of the spark plugs not being gapped so almasi told me to gap them and run just like 9lbs until i did gap them, well i forgot and cranked it to 12lbs and it backfired and broke up so bad. Gapped them the next day and it runs like a dream lol
                Originally posted by MKIV View Post
                While this topic is open, are spark plug upgrades needed based on boost or hp?

When do RB25 usually need better sp's? Thanks

Comment

MKIV, roughly every 75-100hp go one heat range colder. Or change heat range when engine is too rich (hot) or too lean (cold).

Read FAQ section of NGK website -

RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                    MKIV, roughly every 75-100hp go one heat range colder. Or change heat range when engine is too rich (hot) or too lean (cold).

Read FAQ section of NGK website -

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...x.asp?mode=nml
                    Thanks good info!

Are RB20 & RB25 interchangable?
                    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Not sure, as never compared them (thread, height, etc). I would assume they are the same.

Only difference I know of is stock RB20DET sparkplugs are PFR5A -11 (1.1mm) and stock RB25DET sparkplugs are PFR6A - 11 (1.1mm). NGK R sparkplug (what it says on sparkplug).
                      Last edited by Skym; 10-21-2011, 02:27 AM.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
                      X