Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blew turbo seals because too short of an exhaust? possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blew turbo seals because too short of an exhaust? possible?

so ive been doing some work to my car since its been off the road for a month now, and i thought it would be a good idea if i tried to start it up see if i screwed up anything and got it running and let it idle for a bit and then gave it 1 good rev and boom intercooler piping came appart and pooring blue smoke and i turn off the motor and looked at the turbo with the pipes off and it was covered in oil. well not the cold side fan, but the cold side to FMIC. and oil was spraying out the end of the exhaust...

now this is my first time blowing up a turbo, and i just heard today that if their wasnt enough back pressure it could of blown the seals in the turbo... and i only had my dump pipe, down pipe, test pipe... is that really too short and have the possibility of causing this to happen? im getting some work done on my kakimoto 3.5 cat back, and when i was testing it i didnt have the cat back on...

let me know what you think... this scares me. if its true than good to know thats how i blew the turbo, if thats not likely then i wonder how i blew the turbo...
    89 r32 sedan

i really doubt thats the case. i have never heard that before and have driven turbod hondas open downpipe for months on end with no problems. cars even get dyno'd open downpipe as long as they can get a good enough sniffer reading
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

I say its more then likely your turbo was just on its way out. Possibly didnt like it warm up/ oil starvation on the turbo maybe when you gave it some revs.
      Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

I think shorter exhaust = leaner A/F ratio and turbo could overboost (over rev). If turbo shaft is off balance enough, over reving could have made shaft go really off balance and chewed up oil seal.

If haven't started car in a while, you need to disconnect CAS and turn engine over to lube CHRA on turbo or I think some pour oil into CHRA on turbo. Dry startup is one of the quickest ways to damage bearings on turbo. Off balance shaft due to worn bearings = chews up oil seal.

Or if PCV system was blocked, could have overpressurised engine, turbo, blown oil seal (weakest point).
        Last edited by Skym; 06-30-2012, 08:20 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

alright thanks. their is something else i havnt confessed... im still new to all this, but i just wanted to start up right, and ive been getting oil in my manifold so i was going to do catch can to avoid oil being their. so i blocked off both holes in the stock intake to turbo. and the 2 open nipples on the valve covers.. well the ones pointing towards back of motor are just connected to each other, and for my start up i did the same on the front...
          these nobs on top.. i guess it was just a circle from one to the other.

so technically the head wasnt sharing air with manifold or air intake pipe... so it wasnt getting any atmospheric air i guess... could that cause a problem? i know i wouldnt run like that on the road, i thought i would be fine just for a few minutes.

but i think because of this oil was not going up in the head and also not going in turbo either... and 1 month of it sitting. but i was hearing my lifters, sounded dry like when i start my car every morning it makes that noise for a couple seconds till oil pump has enough to cover the cams and lifters.

i know really stupid think to do. i was too anxious.
          89 r32 sedan

Comment

Originally posted by magular View Post
            so i blocked off both holes in the stock intake to turbo.
            was one of them by chance the actuator line? because...yeah...
            Skyline hipster owl

Comment

Sounds like you blocked the breathers (PCV system) on camcovers, engine overpressurised (nowhere for blowby gas to go) and blew oil seal (weakest point) on turbo. Just hope it hasn't blown other oil seals on engine (cam oil seals x2, crank oilseals on front + rear, etc).

Just learn about what you did wrong and don't do the same mistake again.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Its just a reason to upgrade now.

Comment

Working...
                X