Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rb25 S2 with rb20 transmission

Hey guys,

Planing on doing an rb25 s2 swap in my r32. In a way to save money and time finding an rb25 tranny. Has anyone put the 20 tranny onto the 25?

What do you guys think worth it or not please explain.

Thanks
    92,94,95 Honda Civic
    92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
    91 Nissan Skyline GTR
    92,93 Nissan 180sx
    90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
    89 Nissan Silvia

Buddy of mine is using his rb20 tranny with his series 2 atm, no problems and hold up fine to the abuse of the stock 25.
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Gearboxes have a torque rating / design limit.

Like a 5 speed S13 / 240sx gearbox (similar internals, different housings and both use same part number which is FS5W71C) is said to be good to around 30kgm x 9.80665 = 294.1995nm (design limit) -

We design, manufacture, and sell automotive parts, as well as providing vehicle set up services, based on the technology, passion and spirit cultivated in the motorsports field as the Nissan works team.

RB20DET produces around 264nm when stock and RB25DET is around 319nm. You have to remember a stock gearbox is designed for a stock engine or lightly modified stock engine.

But in saying that, one person has put a high km RB20DET gearbox behind a 310rwkw RB20DET with I think was slick tyres and it worked (not sure for how long). So torque ratings are rough guides for longevity of gearbox, as how you drive car (reach peak torque often or not) will determine how long it last's. Even clutch you use plays a role (solid or stock spring type clutch disc).

RB25DET gearbox would require gearbox cooler, pump setup due to lack of air around gearbox to cool it in R32 gearbox tunnel (if used on racetrack, motorway, etc).

Also there are race bearings that can be used (for R34 GTR transmission, etc). Not sure if available for older transmissions.
      Last edited by Skym; 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Im pretty stock engine wise. I think itll work out for the mean time! Thank you Supraclean and Skym for the replies!
        92,94,95 Honda Civic
        92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
        91 Nissan Skyline GTR
        92,93 Nissan 180sx
        90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
        89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

iam using one on a bolt on s2 engine. i will let you know how it holds up!!

Comment

If could afford it, a modified Tremec T56 gearbox (fits behind V8's, etc) with custom CNC adaptor plate for non Skyline bellhousing or custom CNC bellhousing, as they can take up to 700flb (949nm or around 3x what a stock SR20DET gearbox can handle) -

From what I understand, they are popular with drifters and can find gearbox second hand, as it's used behind alot of V8's.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Working...
            X