freddy is leaking!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freddy is leaking!!!

so a few months ago i took the plunge and got one of these freddy front facing intake manis.

so everything up till this point is spot on. the bolt holes line up and even the supplied bolts are the proper threads and offer the proper seal.

but my front freddy manifold for my rb25 is leaking. what are the tq specs for these things seeing as they come with thier own bolts. anyone know???

every time i start my car water spews down the block. iam going to tighten up the bolts.

but on the water neck did you guys use rtv or teflon tape?? seems it's leaking from the manifold side on that sleve you slide in for the coolant hose.

so i went ahead and coated the neck with rtv

hopefully that will stop that neck from leaking. iam gonna wait and let the rtv cure before trying it again.
    Last edited by supersayianjim; 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM.

There's a very good chance RTV is going to stop it, if it was just a small leak.

Here's a horror story for you.

You know the bleeder screw you loosen to bleed the system after you fill your coolant, well in a 240sx I use to have I had to change the coolant about 5 time in the same month (car starting to over heat, tried thermostat, used water pump, new water pump, only to realize the rad was full of crap and wasn't letting any pressure through ) and the 4th time I noticed that it started to leak around the bleeder screw every time I shut the car off. Being a summer car kept a bottle of 2l water in the back and away we go. But it progressively got worst, I had to go for a 2h30-3h00 drive to see family, and by that point I had to stop every 30 min. I was like what the hell, of course driving around time I only had to drive like 15-20 min at a time. So I thought might as well take the screw out and check if the copper washer is scored but it looked fine. When I put the screw back it snapped the head (insert curse word here), and being handy I always have my tool and a bunch of stuff with me. Luck was on my side I had a tube of RTV black gasket sealant. I literally put some on top of the sheared screw, made sure it was spreaded over the surface that I had cleaned as much as I could and waited 45min-1h. The damn thing drove 1h30, didn't even leak.

Stopped at my fathers garage for a perma fix, got a couple of what the hell and people scratching their head, and continued on.

P.S. with just the sheared bolt in the hole it was almost pissing out of that hole.

Let us know the result, was thinking of getting one for the girlfriend RB25 240sx to get rid of the pipe over the engine.
    Last edited by collector240sx; 03-18-2013, 08:38 PM.
    14 VW Jetta TDI
    05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
    95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
    95 240sx ( powered)
    89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

I bet the weldeds are shotty and is leaking there, I have seen this before, hopefully the RTV will cover it. if not, if it was me id remove the paint and find the leak. Are you sure you have the proper sized heater hose?
      Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Supraclean View Post
        I bet the weldeds are shotty and is leaking there, I have seen this before, hopefully the RTV will cover it. if not, if it was me id remove the paint and find the leak. Are you sure you have the proper sized heater hose?
        I'm pretty sure that the water neck has to be pressed in before you use it
        14 VW Jetta TDI
        05 Sentra SpecV - winter beater -
        95 240sx (RB25DET powered)
        95 240sx ( powered)
        89 GTR - Money Pit -

Comment

It probably would be like that because one piece is cast aluminium (intake plenum), the other is steel (water neck piece where hose connects to). Basically hard to weld together.

Sounds like clearances are out between the two pieces, which explains the coolant leak (I hear it's common with cheap made products).

Coolant system is under pressure, so it might leak again if only using sealant. Probably could pressure test cooling system via coolant system pressure test kit (via where radiator cap goes) to check if it will leak again.

Maybe you can find someone who can weld the two metals together??? Probably use a aluminium weld.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

well thanks for the response people. the rtv did hold. and there are certian steps to take to make these manifolds work/fit just fine. not crazy or expensive at all. when i get some time i will post the steps i took.

not i need to cross reference a part number for a rb25 temp sensor for the coolant.

Comment

Working...
            X