High oil temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High oil temperature

I have done some searching and only cobrAA has had the same issue as me. I have installed an oil cooler and thermostat with oil filter relocate. The oil temp. gauge is Prosport. I have no idea what oil temp. was before. Just cruising around at over three thousand rpm my gauge runs about 200F to 215F oil temp. Coolant is at 170F to 175F. Why such a difference, is there some way to check oil sender/ gauge for accuracy? My afr at this rpm is high 12's to low 13's. Car runs great and oil does not smell or is off color. A bit concerned about the indicated high oil temps.
    Any comments appreciated.
    sigpic

Oil should be chosen based on its operating conditions.
    Normal day to day oil temps run close to 200's.
    Race temps can be up to 300's.
    so check with the oil manufacturers specs for operating range to viscosity to pick.

Read here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
    If you want to check your gauge accuracy shoot the filter with a laser thermometer.
    Favorites
    lucky_cefiro
    you\'re not listening
    entelijint
    stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
    mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
    Originally posted by specialedition
    He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

Yea, I got one of those, I'll try it.

Originally posted by speedfreak View Post
      Oil should be chosen based on its operating conditions.
      Normal day to day oil temps run close to 200's.
      Race temps can be up to 300's.
      so check with the oil manufacturers specs for operating range to viscosity to pick.

Read here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
      If you want to check your gauge accuracy shoot the filter with a laser thermometer.
      sigpic

Comment

I would say that both of those temps are very high. I get off the track and see no higher than 96c measured at the filter and on track I back off at about 130c as read from the factory gauge. Normal cruising I won't see higher than 100-110c.
        Where is your temp sensor mounted?
        Also there are several ways to check the sensor. If its accessible try putting it in water with a thermometer and compare what the gauge says to the thermometer.
        Also (and you'll need to contact the manufacturer for this) apply a known level of heat to the sensor and you should see a certain impedance (resistance) measured in ohms measured between the sensor and gauge.
        If the sensor/gauge are new and installed/wired properly I would suspect that it is accurate.
        Last edited by bobbo; 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Bobbo

He's measuring in Fahrenheit
          Your temps would be 204F-266F if your engine temps are 96C-130C
          Favorites
          lucky_cefiro
          you\'re not listening
          entelijint
          stop saying "yall"... i'm picturing you with a mullet.
          mullet+skyline=*shiver* i dont even want to think about it
          Originally posted by specialedition
          He ended up popping a tired and he failed at life.

Comment

I'm aware of that. I'm sticking with celcius because that's the unit of measurement that's used on a metric car. If it was a mustang I would convert to ferenhiet.
            I'm guessing his new oil temp gauge is measured in degrees Fahrenheit hence giving his temp in F.
            I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you understood that I know the difference between the two units of measure and reiterate that regardless of measuring in C or F his oil temps are higher than I would consider normal.

Comment

Ok, I used a laser thermometer and temp at oil filter closest to fittings was around 198F, gauge showed 210F and coolant at 175F. I think I will live with this. when I go to the track and it exceeds 220F I'll get a bigger oil cooler.
              sigpic

Comment

Oil, coolant temps should be around the same temp if oilcooler is setup correctly. Some people with 600-700hp at engine GTR's undersize the oilcooler core (use a 13row oilcooler core that's designed for stock engine) and wonder why the oiltemps are higher than they should be on racetrack.

A lightly modded RB20DET is around 90 degrees C with oil temps after a drive and doesn't have an oilcooler. Someone on here said manual says around 85 degrees C is stock. It's not uncommon for coolant temps to be 2-4 degrees higher than stock coolant temps when ECU tune is out.

Ask a tuner to confirm, but I think richer A/F, retarded ignition timing = hotter exhaust temps (similar to antilag).
                RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                  Ask a tuner to confirm, but I think richer A/F, retarded ignition timing = hotter exhaust temps (similar to antilag).
                  Wouldn't it be leaner A/F? Fuel absorbs heat, I find it awefully hard to spit flames at 10.9 because the exhaust is too rich to cause spontanious ignition.
                  1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Marus92 View Post
                    Wouldn't it be leaner A/F? Fuel absorbs heat, I find it awefully hard to spit flames at 10.9 because the exhaust is too rich to cause spontanious ignition.
                    My car spit flames from exhaust (popping sound) with stock ignition timing (retarded timing for the mods it had at the time), running rich (didn't check how rich it was running).
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Ok, I installed a 19 roe Setrab oil cooler and the temps are the same as with the 11 row. Oil looks golden and does not smell. I am going to live with this. Anybody want to buy my 11 row?
                      sigpic

Comment

How much hp is engine producing???
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

294 whp
                          sigpic

Comment

what's your oil pressure like, could it be a failing pump?

Comment

My oil pressure is good, 65psi on startup, after warmup, 20 psi at idle, 45 psi at 3000 rpm and goes up with rpm.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X