AEM Series 2 ECU - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AEM Series 2 ECU - thoughts?

Has anyone used this ECU? I'm leaning more towards this as opposed to the Nistune as it requires no soldering or anything like that.

If anyone has any experience with this product, fill me in!

AEM is a full stand alone unit. Nistune essentially is a chipped ECU, it just depends on how far you want to take your car as far as power levels are concerned

Comment

My goal is for around 350whp. More I've been reading (only came across the AEM ecu tonight) nistune does seem like the best option for me.

Comment

All comes down to your tuner and what he feels competent with
        1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Nistune is modernising stock ECU to the new way of tuning stock ECU's. Basically using the Consult plug under dash on drivers side of car, Consult cable, Laptop, wideband, etc to tune stock ECU. Same way new car stock ECU's are tuned.

That's instead of using the old procedure, which is removing ECU covers, desoldering and removing 24pin EPROM chip, soldering in 24 pin EPROM socket, fitting emulator, laptop, wideband, etc and tuning engine. Then burning chip, remove emulator from 24 pin EPROM socket and fitting new 24 pin EPROM chip into 24pin EPROM socket, refitting ECU covers, etc.

If use the AEM ECU it requires replacing timing disc inside CAS (I think AEM sell this timing disc). With stock ECU you don't need to do this. Also make sure your cars earths, wiring are good, as AEM ECU's have been known to be sensitive to old / bad earths. Stock ECU is not as sensitive and as far as I know was designed to take into account the older wiring.

If want something that fits into stock ECU case and looks factory, but is better (MAP sensor, IAT sensor, barometric compensation for changes in altitude, onboard boost control, etc), ViPEC or Link ECU board. Also can run crank trigger setup from ROSS to eliminate CAS and get more accurate ignition timing.

Next would be Motec ECU that has more options, more rpm rows for higher reving engines, etc.
          Last edited by Skym; 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

For 350whp in my honest opinion i would go with the nistune. Stay with the factory mafs and have a really nice running car.

From experience I've found that after the 400whp limit of the rb26 maf's, all driveability get diminished without hours spent tuning a standalone for regular driving.

With the nistune, @ 350whp, your car will start every day, idle perfect and pull like a train whenever you want. If later on you want a bit more power all you will need to replace (depending on your power adders) is the mafs with z32 mafs.

A full standalone would be a wise choice if your planning on utilizing its capabilities. Most standalones allow for inputs and outputs of all sorts, as well as launch control, flat shifting, antilag etc.

I'm currently running the aem v2 on my GTR, I love it, but I can acheive the same power goal with an ecu that's half the price and it will drive the same in the city. I chose aem for all the added options that I mentioned above and more.

I'm ranting, I'd recommend the $300 nistune over the $2200 aem if your looking for a fun, comfortable 350whp.

Comment

The ECU you select does depend on what the car is being used for (street, racetrack, dragstrip, etc) and do you need the extra options to suit that application. Some applications require a MAP sensor. It could be due to having a big turbo with big intake pipe infront of turbo (MAF is too small and get reversion problems or basically air reversing direction when turbo slows down inbetween gearchanges or backing off throttle), front facing intake plenum that has different flow into each runner hence needs individual cylinder fuel trim, ignition trim (Link, Motec, ViPEC, etc), different exhaust manifold design, to just name a few.

Some applications require datalogging, aftermarket measuring options to suit, extra rpm rows for higher reving engines, etc. That's why Motec ECU is popular on racecars, dragcars, etc.

Stock ECU is good if engine remains stockish (that includes a stock equal length exhaust manifold, as found on GTS-R, which runs a stock ECU), not aiming for big hp, want stock drivability, was doing a good job, hence why I selected it over other options.

But can extract more hp with a ECU that has MAP sensor, etc due to removing restrictive gauze screens on MAF's (remove the MAF's), individual cylinder fuel, ignition trim, etc. But it's alot harder to tune, to get it to run similar to stock ECU with MAF, as there's more maps, etc that have to work together for it to work (to get good drivability) and that cost's more $$$$ / tuning time to setup. It basically is all about the tuner and their experience in getting good drivability (they learn tricks, shortcuts to make it work), budget, application with what ECU you select.

Best thing to do is -

1.) Select your hp goal, application.

2.) Find out the mods for that hp goal, application.

3.) Select ECU to suit application, mods, hp goal, budget.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

i just recently bought nistune. i have a downpipe back exhaust, intakes, and a tune and got 330hp. Its fine for now but eventually i will go to the AEM. Also with the AEM you cant use MAF's, you have to go to speed density if i remember correctly.

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyones input.
                  ECU is the last thing I need to buy other then a few little things I have in mind (driftworks hicas delete, ect).
                  I've got a garrett 2871R turbo, Tomei poncams, full 3" exhaust, 550cc injectors, AEM wideband. Hoping with this I can get a good 350WHP.
                  I'm only home where my car is a few times throughout the year so I don't think I'll be wanting anymore from the car then that.

Nistune it is!

Comment

you say 350hp is fine for now but you'll always want more. Just keep that in mind. kinda goes like this...
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I'm a correctional officer living in Iqaluit, Nunavut. I'm only back home in Newfoundland a few times throughout the year when the car is drivable so I'm sure 350 should be able to keep me happy haha

Comment

I have an AEM S2 I'd sell if you are interested, with modded CAS, AEM 5 bar map sensor, and a way better map you can use as a base map than what they come with.
                        1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
                        2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
                        2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Appreciate the offer but, I already went ahead and ordered NIStune.
                          Originally posted by Terrh View Post
                          I have an AEM S2 I'd sell if you are interested, with modded CAS, AEM 5 bar map sensor, and a way better map you can use as a base map than what they come with.

Comment

Originally posted by gAWDzla View Post
                            you say 350hp is fine for now but you'll always want more. Just keep that in mind. kinda goes like this...
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48-tcRiBNj4

wow, repped!!

Comment

Originally posted by GregBranton View Post
                              Appreciate the offer but, I already went ahead and ordered NIStune.
                              alright, whats the status on your nistune purchase??

Comment

Working...
                              X