Turbo setup on my 20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo setup on my 20

Hi everyone, i'm going to invest a little bit on my 20 this summer.

( No i'm not going 25. So the swap subject is closed )

I will change the turbo and I hesitate between 2 ;

The HKS GT2530 KAI ( newer version of the 2530 ) complete bolt on kit

or

Tomei Arms M8270 complete kit too.

I know the tomei kit cost approximately 1000$ less than the HKS one.

I want to know wich one of those turbos will offer me the best bang for the buck ( reliability, power and response )

I will run stock internals, maybe a pair of tomei poncams. But I already got 3" complete turbo back exhaust, complete fmic kit, aem air / fuel, upgraded fuel delivery ans apexi safc II. Aiming 325-330whp

Do not talk about RB25DET swap please, not interested.

thanks

Also wondering the same thing... in for answers haha
    Jordie Lewis
    1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

As far as I know, HKS turbo has a ballbearing CHRA and Tomei turbo has a non ballbearing CHRA and from dyno charts I have seen on SR20DET, slightly more laggy at lower rpm with boost response compared to HKS or Garrett turbo (probably due to A/R of exhaust housing or size of exhaust wheel that changes the A/R of exhaust housing when housing is machined to suit), but Tomei turbo seems to have more peak hp than the equivalent Garrett or HKS turbo. Camtiming changes can help to improve boost reponse by 300-400rpm or maybe more with ECU tune to suit.

If it was me, I would look at Precision brand turbo as well. Good result's on SR20DET.

Usually what size turbo works on SR20DET, also works on RB20DET (slight exhaust housing A/R, exhaust wheel size changes to suit SR20DET or RB20DET engine).

You'll need Nistune for stock ECU to adjust ignition timing, etc and Z32 MAF + Z32 MAF plug (unless you are saying you have a AEM engine ECU with MAP sensor, etc already), 550cc injectors, 255lph fuel pump, hardwire kit for fuelpump (fuel system from Deatschwerks) to get the 13.5 volts it needs vs factory 10-12 volts.
      Last edited by Skym; 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Another one of these threads....
        Ok....
        Tomei Arms M8270 is a complete kit for an SR20. Not an RB20. The turbo has all the wrong flanges (even the intake pipe) for and RB20...unless you will somehow modify it...it wont fit and not worth it.

If you're keeping the stock exhaust manifold and the stock intake plenum you have 2 options...
        1. high flow a rb20/25 turbo and bolt it on

or

2.you buy that $2000+ HKS turbo kit.

Realistically after you do everything that Skym mentioned (you'll need injectors and proper ecu at a minimum, throw away the apexi safc II, that's just a bandaid solution) you'll possibly be pushing around 300rwhp on a mustang dyno or closer to 320-330rwhp if you get cams.

The problem with the RB20 is you have 6 cylinders but only 2L of displacement. You have low bottom end power but you can rev the hell out of the engine to make up for it. Do not be comparing you're engine to the results of an SR20 or the 2L Evo engines. They behave differently and are purpose built motors (especially the Evo), so you're results will be different.

If you're thinking of spending $2000+ on a turbo you might as well save up a little bit more for the Greddy full turbine kit with exhaust manifold for around $4000. That way you will for sure at LEAST make 340rwhp or whatever RWHP you want.

All of this info has been documented in Asia,Europe, Aus/NZ before and it's what i found in my research for info on RB20/RB25 upgrades. Search around and im sure you'll find dyno results of people who have a similar setup to what you have.
        Last edited by benelli; 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM.
        BB(Turbo) will spin like "24" spinnaz yo!"

To put it in gangster terms
        ---------------------------------------

"Right if you're 40 years old and have no sense of adventure go with ecu controlled boost"
        -evolutionm.net forums

Comment

SR20DET has VVT which helps spool smaller or bigger turbo's, longer stroke for more down low, but I'm talking about the displacement is the same and the turbo's that work with that displacement are the same on SR20DET, RB20DET (2 litre), except for slight exhaust housing A/R, exhaust wheel, etc changes to take into account the difference in exhaust flow from each engine.

Actually a stock EVO TD05 turbo does work on a RB20DET (using a flange adaptor plate, etc). Greedy / Trust tuner in Japan used to make TD05 turbo's for RB20DET that had custom made exhaust housing to suit and my mate had one on his RB20DET, which was mixed with a bigger Greedy sidemount intercooler which made the car look like a sleeper (around 320hp at engine with 13.5psi boost) and was quite responsive. They don't seem to sell those turbo kits anymore.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

You can do what I did.

Comment

Working...
            X