need some help locating an issue with my r33 gtst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some help locating an issue with my r33 gtst

hey guys so i have a 93 r33 gtst i have the rb25det. i purchased this car about a month ago and it has had the hicas symbol on since. sometimes when i start it up the symbol is on and of course the steering wheel feels heavy, but other times the symbol turns off itself and the steering wheel feels light like it normally would. i was wondering if anyone has had this problem and what i should check first. not a huge mechanical geek just turned 20 looking for some advice so i dont get raped by a shop lol.

Did u run a hicas diagnostics test?

Comment

no, i haven't. would i be able to do the diagnostic myself?

Comment

Do r33s have speed sensors or speedo cables? I had a similar issue with my 32 and had to get a new speedo cable as the power steering is linked to the speed. If the ecu can't tell the speed then it shuts off the power steering. So it could be as simple as cleaning contacts if its a speed sensor! Or replacing but dont take my word for it as I don't own a 33!

Comment

As far as I know, R33 is electric, R32 is mechanical with speedo cable.

HICAS ECU doesn't shut power steering off, it reduces the amount of assistance (via valve on front steering rack) to what it would provide at I think was around 180-200km/h.

HICAS ECU looks at steering angle sensor behind steering wheel, vehicle speed.

Also HICAS light can light up when there's low power via alternator or low fluid level in power steering resouvoir.
          Last edited by Skym; 09-15-2013, 09:05 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

yeah 33s are electrical. my power steering fluid levels are fine as well.

Comment

Yes search r33 hicas dignistics on google should pop up on skylines Australia then find out what's wrong, replace sensors accordingly

Comment

Skylines Australia had all info regarding r33 and 34 as they have has them 5x as long as us

Comment

Working...
                X