Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review - Top Speed Pro 1 coilovers

Price $649 USD
    10kg 8kg spring rates, damper adjustable.
    Car - 1991 gtst stock except for gtr wheels with direzza star/spec 2, adjustable front camber arms and 2 way clutch type LSD.
    I have had several sets of coilovers before so I have something to compare to. I have used tein, zeal and Greddy coilovers. The skyline is my daily driver occasional track day car so I didn't want to spend $2000 I have those in my corolla.

Installation - the coilovers came packaged as you would expect with no missing parts or damage. I was pleased to find they fitted well, nothing rubbs or doesnt line up with lots of adjustment left to go higher or lower. They could easily go 2 or 3 inches lower than I set them if that is your thing. They had no markings on the struts or springs to say where they were made. After 3 hours they were in (including a couple of height adjustments and loosening all control arms and retorqing them at the new height). One thing is the wrenches supplied were not shaped to fit the locking rings well but no big deal. I would give them a 9 out of 10 for installation.

First driving impression- turn in has greatly improved and body roll reduced significantly as you would expect. I can get on the power much earlier through a corner. I set the dampers 4 clicks from soft and over small potholes and manhole covers it is smoother than stock suspension. Over railway tracks and ups and downs it is a lot stiffer. No funny noises or problems so far.

I am going to the racetrack next week so I will have more to say after then.

thanks

Comment

I decided to try these also, for my GTR. I drive by them every week so I figured what the heck.
      Haven't installed them yet, doing that this weekend.
      Do you remember where you set the height (length) in relation to the OEM coils?
      I was thinking on starting about 1.5 inches from full low and adjust from there.
      Im not looking for slammed either.
      Initially, they do look to be good quality, They have 18 way damping, GTR rates are 8/6 kg, same as the hsd's I was looking at for over twice the price.
      It also happens that other than the color they look EXACTLY like my friends BC Racing coils. Wrenches and damper adjusters fit also.
      Hope they work good, but at the price it's worth trying!

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
      '89 GTST - SOLD
      '92 GTR
      '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
      '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

I set them about 3 inches shorter than the factory struts to allow for stiffer springs but then I had to raise them up an inch or so.

Comment

Update on these.
          Once I got everything installed, and height set where I wanted it, on the test drive I had a horrible knocking from the left rear.
          I checked everything, and discovered the damper unit itself was defective internally.
          I thought yay, bit by the "get what you pay for" bug.
          However, these guys sent a replacement, fast, no questions asked. I installed the replacement damper and all is good. These guys are nice to deal with in the end.
          Now as for the coils they perform well. I've been on cuscos, bilsteins, KYBs, RSRs, and obviously OEM.
          Im dropped enough for a nice look and loose the 4x4 status. Definitely not slammed. These look like they could drag frame if you wanted though, if that's your thing.
          At about 5-6 clicks from full soft, these feel close to OEM for ride. A,little bouncy on sweeping turns with some undulation....good over sharper bumps/rr tracks.
          A good setting on these I found is about 10 clicks, or halfway in front, little stiffer in the rear. This got rid of the bounce without being too harsh.
          Being an 8/6 spring rate, even on full stiff, hardcore trackers should move on, still some roll in really hard driving.
          All in all a good setup for a GREAT price, for a mainly street/show car with occasional amateur tracking.

Rick
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Another update. 6 months and 2 track days on these and no problems at all. I would highly recommend these coilovers for $649 shipped. There are no pillowballs or anything to fail being double wishbone suspension.
            I believe they are 10kg 8kg not 8/6 like Rixr32 stated above but he is right there is still a small amount of roll. I put this down to chassis flex and no roll centre correction.
            The first track day I set the damper to the lowest setting and this was a mistake there is almost no damper and I was bouncing all over with almost no spring control. I found a good adjustment to be full stiff at the rear and around 3/4 at the front
            If you want a set it and forget it setup for street and occasional track days then buy this and you will be happy.
            Last edited by aaron86; 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM.

Comment

i wonder how they will run on my R33 Sedan

Comment

Working...
              X