Project DragonHeart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project DragonHeart

Alrighty........since buying my GTS-T 3 years ago, I have always kind of fantasized about buying a GTR. And while I could never afford one, the thought always stayed with me, to somehow either get a GTR or go with an RB26DETT (what I like to call the DragonHeart - isnt Godzilla a dragon!!).

After three engine swaps, being burnt by Mean Street and losing a lot of my money on the RB25DET (I know you guys will flame me on it, but I have realized that the RB25 is not for me, I dont like it....I'd rather run an RB20 than go to the 25), I finally was able to buy a used RB26DETT from Mike at Z Tune.

The engine arrived in January and work on it began. We were short quite a few things that seemed to have disappeared from the engine, but thankfully, they were all small items, hard to find though. I am making this thread for all to see. On a very important level, this thread is a tribute to perhaps the best friend I have had in this country - the person who has helped me thru thick and thin, good and bad, and every time I needed him or his support, he was there without expectations, without malice - Michael, aka belontay_type-M on GTRC. You, Mike, are the main motivation behind many things that I have done with my car, and a lot of my learning, my dear friend, came from you. You are a real, true friend and I can never repay you for all that you have done for me.

And now, short of going down on him in gratitude (I dont swing that way at all), I come back to my engine swap. There are many intricate details that will be shared here, for others to learn from. It may not be the cleanest engine swap as my car has been a bird's nest, all thanks to the amazing legacy left by MSSC, but I will try and capture all the important details that one needs to know if one is to put an RB26DETT into a GTS-T.

So, on to the setup:

Engine: Bone stock RB26DETT
    FMIC: Stock GTR
    Injector: 444cc GTR
    Exhaust: HKS styled Y pipe with 3.5 in catback kakimoto exhaust
    AEM wideband
    Turbos: Garrett turbos, stock from a GTR
    Electronics: GTR main engine harness, with stock ignitor and stock coils, stock CAS and stock ECU. I have a PFC just waiting to be installed, but it will come in due time.
    Everything else in the car is stock GTS-T.

Without further ado, let's get to the pictures. Excuse the crappy quality....

The engine arrived at Mike's house at 11pm in my pathfinder

The injectors were out, a pintle cap broken, and missing most of the o rings. Vacuum lines were intact, but all banjo bolts needed to be sourced out, and the rear oil return flange was also missing. Another shot:

This is the rear oil flange that was missing:

The first order of the day was to somehow remove the oil pan and replace it with an RB25 RWD oil pan. The problem was that the flange for the oil pickup line inside the block was interfering with the RB25 oil pan's wall. Mike had to file it down, and hammer the oil pan's side out to somehow make it fit. And eventually it did fit. Take a look at this pic. Notice the bulge? That's where the pickup line is bolted to the inside of the block. The oil pan sealed perfectly, thanks to the spare bolt holes on the RB26 bottom end:

Here is that bulge:

This is how it looks after the oilpan was bolted and sealed with a high temp sealant/gasket maker:

Now Lola (me car) was still sitting at my place, and needed to be towed to Mike's place. This was successfully done a week or so later, on a flatbed again at around midnight. Meanwhile, Mike was busy sourcing out the banjo bolts, the flanges and a few pieces here and there from Manny (malibusst). Here is Lola on the flatbed in the night:

Mike's driveway was icy, and the melting snow made it almost impossible for us to push it up the incline.....but we did it, SOMEHOW!! I should say he did it. I was just a spectator.

Next was the disconnection of the RB25DET wiring, the RB25 tranny, driveshaft, and exhaust. With the engine ready to come out, Mike and his friend Nenad arranged to use an engine hoist and pull the damn thing out. Im not a fan of RB25s anymore.

Another shot:

Lola is missing her lips and her front teeth are showing, lol. But the engine finally came out. For those who do not know who Mike is, here he is in his most inviting position, checking the stupid RB25 is resting well on the wooden logs. Good, you deserve to be in a corner, buster!!

Lola with an empty chest:

Next, the DragonHeart was hoisted off the engine stand and slowly brought into the belly of the beast:

Shot no. 2:

Slowly, but surely, the transplant progresses:

Until we reach our first checkpoint - out with the 25, in with the DragonHeart:

This was when they called it a night.

For now, the engine is in, the lines and harness need to be connected, and the banjo bolts, o rings, flanges, and other smaller sundry items need to be sourced out. Help needed by any and all........

Will keep updating this as the project moves along. The idea is to get it running bone stock and then slowly clean up the mess, make it look prettier, and do some mods for street use. Stay tuned!!
    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

I like.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Very nice! which motor mounts did you use?

Comment

hey looks great so far, cant wait for the start up:-)
        1990 Skyline GTR
        1989 Skyline GTS-T RB25
        CBR 600 Stunt
        2001 Volvo VNL660
        Larson-Senza 454 BBC

Comment

We are kinda stuck right now, because we cannot find the oil return flanges, banjo bolts and the silly upper o rings for the injectors. Plus Manny has to still get all the stuff together (O2 sensors, turbo inlet pipe, etc..). Im not sure how this will pan out for now. The engine is in, but when these small kinks put a dead stop to all the hard work, it get very irritating.

Hope to see you soon, Nenad.
          (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Update:

We found all the banjo bolts we need. Now what's left is the oil return flanges, rear turbo inlet pipe, a BOV (going single atmo) and the O2 sensors.

Process-wise, we are discovering a few issues that need to be addressed. The first one is that of connecting the resistor pack to the injectors. We found that there is supposed to be a plug on the injector harness that the resistor pack directly connects to. The harness I received had that plug cut out, so we are SOL on that. Now it has to be manually connected to each injector. It is a real PITA, but what can we do!!

Secondly, the harness came with the stock MAF plugs replaced by Z32 compatible MAF plugs. And since I am running stock MAFs, we have had to cut the Z32 plugs out and put the stock MAF plugs back on.

Thirdly, the upper oil pressure sensor was missing. So we used another sensor from a spare engine.

Our plan is to get the car running within the next week or so. Ideally, it should be ready for an early spring cruise with some other guys, but let's see how it goes. I will try and write up a DIY on the RB26 swap, with details about the important stuff here.

A few things to note for anyone who wants to do this swap - if you can afford an RB26, then rather than going for an RB25, go for it. The difference in installation and getting it to run properly is not significant enough to justify staying away from putting an RB26DETT into a GTS. In fact, if you have a full engine with all accessories intact, have an uncut RB26DETT wiring harness with ECU, this will actually end up being a straight swap. There are, however, a few important details that I must share here:

1. Do not try and use the RB20 transmission with an RB26DETT for very long. The engine can and will eventually eat up your tranny alive. Go for an RB25 tranny.

2. The flywheel, clutch, starter, alternator, ignitor, coils, injector plugs, and CAS are all RB20 compatible. So, if you have an RB20 sitting somewhere with these accessories, keep them as spares.

3. Contrary to the popular understanding, GTS-T dash harness is compatible with the RB26 main harness. There is only one difference - the boost gauge wire from the dash harness actually connects to the torque split gauge wire on the main harness, if you just go plug and play. You need to make sure that the correct wire on the ECU side is connected to the boost gauge wire in the dash harness. This is because in the GTS-T, the physical location of the boost gauge is replaced by the torque split gauge in the GTR and
            so you have to make sure that the extra wire for the torque split stays disconnected and the boost gauge wires are connected properly. Other than that, all relays, etc. work fine.

4. Do NOT run the twin turbo setup without a BOV......its not good. I know the opinion is split on this one. Some say it is okay to run a turbo car without a BOV and some say it is detrimental. Here is my understanding - in a twin turbo setup like that of a GTR, there is significantly more potential for compressor surge due to the fact that more air is being pushed back in compared to a single mid sized ceramic turbo. GTR stockers are not very resilient compared to N1s or other ball bearing turbos. Why take a risk?

5. I think you can use RB20 motor mounts on an RB26. Right, Mike?

That's it for now, I think. Will update as we go along.
            (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

We are inching forward with time. Thanks to alex, we now have the turbo return flanges and O2 sensors. There r only two things that we still need - oil return flange for rear of the block and the turbo inlet pipe. So its not done yet. Still need help with these.....
              (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Update:

After much begging, pleading and reaching out to many people, we finally got all the pieces to get the engine together. The flywheel was resurfaced, and new clutch installed. Don't flame me for I used the F1 Stage III clutch. It would do for now as I dont plan to rape my car for some time.

As things stand today, the engine is in, the transmission and driveshaft are all in place. Here are some more pics, and....dare I say, something else right towards the end of this post.

Injector wires split open for connecting the resistor pack:

Resistor pack installed and wiring neatly tucked away:

Flywheel and clutch installed:

The nightmarish, dreaded oil return lines finally found and installed:

And now, the fruit of Mike's hardwork and Nenad's support:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

In the end, the engine part of it all came together. I wasnt there to hear the first roar, but from what I heard on the video, the beast is living.

The next steps are to put the FMIC together, reinstall the rad and the fan and attach the coolant lines.

Will keep everyone posted.
                (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

I don't mean to knit-pick but once you get everything up and running you should go back and solder all of the butt-connector joints. They are not very weather resistant and make it look like you did a hack-job on the wiring. Butt joints will only come back to haunt you in a few years.

Nice swap, I don't know why more people don't do that instead of the RB25.

Jon.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Sound advice, Jon. Actually, all the connections are soldered, and then wrapped with the heat shrink. We just have to tape it all so it looks neat and tidy. After my experience with Mean Street, I know what a hack-job wiring can do to your car. So rest assured, this time, it will be done the RIGHT way.

Thanks for the good advice again.

To be honest, I was stupid to not have done the RB26 swap earlier. Everyone, including some very 'professional' mechanics suggested that an RB26 swap was an electrical nightmare and nothing would work. Au contraire, this was a plug and play as soon as the harness and ECU were connected.

I think if people realize how much more they stand to gain by doing an RB26 swap, they would do it. But perhaps economics come into play as well. The price differential between an RB25 vs RB20 is much smaller compared to one between RB26 and RB20. Additionally, people also have the opinion that the gains achieved by upgrading from an RB25 to an RB26 are not justified by the price differential between the two engines and the installation costs - why spend more than $1500 to gain just 40-50 hp? I dont agree with that analysis in hindsight, but I can see the point of view of those who still think the RB25 is the way to go.

But now, its DragonHeart all the way........
                    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

DIRTY!!!!

Munib looks good man, who is helping you do the swap?
                      bscmotorsports.ca
                      Arctic Cat Fircat F7 Sno pro

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? Whaat the f*ck is so funny bout' me, tell me, tell me whats funny..."

Comment

Who else but my trustworthy friend Mike did the work.

For dumping Skylines twice (if not more in your dreams), I move for banning Kyle from the Skyline community. He deserves to be on Honda forums, or better still, a Cavalier forum

On a serious note, Kyle once you get your GTR, I will kick your butt with Lola.
                        (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

^ You KNOW,

I am WAYYYYY to stuborn to let that happen....:-D

...even my X-honda would of gave you a run.. to bad Ptonkz hit a damn deer in it!!!! hehehehe
                          bscmotorsports.ca
                          Arctic Cat Fircat F7 Sno pro

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? Whaat the f*ck is so funny bout' me, tell me, tell me whats funny..."

Comment

Latest update:

The car is running well, with a few teething problems. Here is what we are looking at to ensure smooth running:

1. Reinforcing the clamps on all piping

2. Checking for vacuum leaks

3. Close monitoring of the clutch while it breaks in

4. Monitoring the temp and oil pressure sensors to see how the engine behaves

5. Finding a way to run the RB26 PS pump on a GTS - the HICAS side of it has two valves that I dont want to use, although I have HICAS enabled. Anyone know how to make it run on a GTS-T?

6. Monitoring the boost levels, and making sure that the engine is not over-revved or boost doesn't go past stocvk levels.

7. Cleaning up the engine bay and tucking the wiring away neatly so the bay looks nice.

The bumper and hood need to be put back on, and then it will be good to go.

I will post up pics soon.....
                            (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

good write up. hopefully I can use this info for my swap one day. keep us posted dude!

Comment

Working...
                              X