project RB26 swap into GTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project RB26 swap into GTS

after many years of not really doing anything to my car a good oppurtunitty came around and i got me a rb26 for a steal of a deal. a month ago my rb20 leaned out and blew the second cylinder. so since then i have slowly been working away on it and taking a few pictures of my progress.

my goal is to make 450ishwhp.
    holset HX35 turbo
    twin scroll style top mount manifold
    deatswerks injector 850ish cc i hope
    nistune
    ford lightning 90mm blow thru maf
    not sure on fpr suggestions welcome
    not sure on clutch yet, suggestions?
    tomei gasket kit
    water pump
    innovate wideband
    apexi avcr boost controller
    custom 4" exhuast
    GTR front mount (for now)
    modified GTR oilpan

lost the pictures of the engine removal but where i am now i have the engine mainly put together minus oilpan

i suck at taking pictures so please bear with me

nice one..... i swapped an rb26 into my gts4 last winter and it developed rod knock in 3 weeks time! boy was i pissed..... i can thank jaques oliver page from montreal for the bogun engine and a big **** YOU when i told him. yea hes on here.... anyways im in the midst of fully built rb26 with single too

how did u run the coolant lines for the turbo?

im going from the block where the coolant block drain is (by cyl 6) to turbo than returning to the one nipple thats under the intake. ( it has a pipe that warms the itb's with coolant) for return..... looking for feedback....
    GTS4-R

Comment

also ur only running one mafs???
      GTS4-R

Comment

Originally posted by GTS4-R View Post
        nice one..... i swapped an rb26 into my gts4 last winter and it developed rod knock in 3 weeks time! boy was i pissed..... i can thank jaques oliver page from montreal for the bogun engine and a big **** YOU when i told him. yea hes on here.... anyways im in the midst of fully built rb26 with single too

how did u run the coolant lines for the turbo?

im going from the block where the coolant block drain is (by cyl 6) to turbo than returning to the one nipple thats under the intake. ( it has a pipe that warms the itb's with coolant) for return..... looking for feedback....
        the main reason i decided to run single turbo was my block came in peices and i have trouble figuring out the lines, the turbo i have only needs the oil lines, so i am deleting a huge amount of coolant lines ect.

yes i am going to try running one ford lightning maf, i heard they can meter up to 500 plus hp. and i can run it as a blow thru set up. so thats what im going to try, but for now i am running 2 stock mafs and going to get it tuned and see what can happen with stock injectors, if anything for now.

Comment

i didnt know you could convert to one mafs on an rb26..... even with a standalone.... its either 2 map sensors or two mafs since its 2 banks (cyl 1-3) and (cyl 4-6)
          im running 2 300zx Z32 mafs

let me know how that works out
          GTS4-R

Comment

oh okay that makes sense then, well in that case i would just run 2 z32 mafs, good thing i didnt get around to ordering it yet. i woulda been up **** creek

Comment

please rebuild it before putting it in. That's about the only advice I can give you. Make sure whoever rebuilds it understands what they are doing, too. If that describes you, then please rebuild it :P

I don't want to see you get it finished and then post a thread asking about rod knock a month later. Do it right the first time

edit: This isn't a shot at GTS4-R, had I seen his thread before he put the engine in, I would have said the same thing.

Comment

the plan was to rebuild it, but my rb20 blew, im a high school student working with limited cash i just want it back haha.

i was saving for a build and slowly buying parts for it but then the rb20 tok a **** on me. i wont complain if it happens, i am expecting it lol. everything appeared fine.

anyways just finished doing a quick compression test on a makeshift engine stand. got 140-150 cold. i was jumping the starter so i imagine the result were based on a bad crank or 2 and a slowly dying battery. but im content with the results. pics to follow.

Comment

just a thought ,

if you use the rb20 harrness and put in a risitor for the inj i think you could just slip the motor in and wire it with the 20 set up.your going to have to tune it with the stock ecu(nistune)to achieve correct timming and fuel curve but im 90% sure that it would work also would have to use coil packs from 20.

only real diffrence from the two engines are afew things that ecu from 26 to 20 dont share like intake temp and igniter is diffrent .i would use the 20 coils and igniter and wire in risistor.
                  from a techs point of view...thanks for listening and i hope that helps you on a student wage.
                  and if your using stock inj even easier

Comment

thanks, that sounds like a pretty good idea to me, it definatley would be better for a single set up, i will definatley look into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X