Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36rb25det

Hey guys -

I thought some of you might be interested in this, so I'll post it up. Bimmer fans will probably curse my name because of what I have planned, some of you might too - but so be it. Its a dream thats slowly coming into reality. This is my first BMW, I used to own an 03 Nissan Maxima though which gave me faith in their engines - so we'll see how it goes!

This is my car.. a 97 BMW 328i

And whats currently in it..

A naturally aspirated, boring, gas-saving engine. I want something with forced induction - I miss the foreplay of a turbochargers lag. Thats what brings me here - the plan is to put in an RB25DET into it and make it pretty on the eyes. This is going to be a longer build - I'm currently paying for university, and its not exactly cheap - but that also means I'll be building it, not having it done for me.. the way it should be IMO. With some good friends help of course, I'd be screwed if I were to try to do it on my own.

Simplified to do list:

Paint
    Lower
    Fender flares
    Wheels
    Engine

The engine will most likely be happening next summer/fall, but you'll see me harassing people for parts soon enough. The plan is to buy things for it piece by piece - intercooler, block, tranny etc. - the paint though is starting tomorrow. I have a simple (Non-ricey IMO) paint scheme, I should be able to post some pictures in about a week or so. My birthday is coming up too.. maybe I'll try and get that intercooler sooner than not

Anyways - I look forward to seeing others builds, and posting up pictures of mine for anyone thats interested!

If you want to have alot of fun with that Bimmer, do a search. Some one actually makes a small block chevy swap kit, and theres lots of guides on the internet. One guy in a previous "RPM" magazine (found at futureshop) had an LS v8 in his, and it was a drift/grip monster capable of tracking and lapping all day with no worries of breaking down. Just a thought
    '95 GTR

Comment

I've been looking into it for the past two months - originally I wanted an E30 (Generation prior to this one) and to put in an RB20, strip out the interior and have just a raw beast of a car. The exterior never grew on me though.. as much as I loved the front end. The reason I'm going with an RB25 is because I really don't care for a domestic car or its internals - I love imports, I've grown up driving them, and have always had a lot of respect for Nissan and Subaru engines.

Comment

Well this should be a really interesting build to see if it happens

Im all for new things, especially when it comes to cars. The more unique the better. I would have picked an older bimmer, for the body styling, but thats just me and my preference.

I doubt you will meet anyone else with a rb25det in a bimmer, and if you do, it probably won't be in the same model.

props for taking on a big project
        sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
        ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

I wish you good luck.. That's one heck of a project..

Comment

Isn't there a guy who did the RB26 swap in his greenish beamer?
            Looks like a good project!! Good luck and take pictures!
            03 lancer dead
            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
            05 chevy silverado L33
            2010 crv Wife's ride
            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Working...
            X