Supraclean's "Drift Sicle" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supraclean's "Drift Sicle" Project

Hey everyone, I figured I would post up my build in hopes to help out others that might be doing installing mods and products as myself.

Decided that I needed a new hobby fresh out of Finishing my 101,102 Firefighting School

To start from when I got here early April of 2009

1992 Nissan Skyline HCR32 type M
    Manual 5 speed
    Silver
    Mostly Stock when I got her but here are the mods it did come with.
    134000kms

3 inch exhaust from downpipe with Apexi N1 muffler
    Hks mushroom filter intake
    Sparco steering wheel with hub
    Greddy turbo timer
    JIC coilovers
    "stinky tuned" Stock ecu reflash done in Japan was listed on the Aution sheet

I picked this up off Martin on Gtrc here and had it Trailered to Edmonton Alberta to pick it up.

This is how she sat after the second day of owning it.

A little Fender Roll was needed as my First Purchase was a Set of Work VS MX 18x8 +21 in the front wrapped in Kumho SPT 225/40/18s in the front. With 18x10 +12 in the rear wraped with Kumho SPT 255/35/18.

Also picked up from another Gtrc member on here. Can anyone guess?

I oringinaly had the intention of having just simply a nice daily cruizer to meet up with the boyz. Little did I know I would come down with stage 5 skyline fever and be uncured for the time been.

There were some purchases made Down along the line that were mostly made out impulse and not needed. This Car was and still will be alot of firsts for myself. First Rear wheel drive, Standard, RHD.

Im going to try in keep this updated as much as possible as I just figured out how to properly post pictures. Also im going to be giving my own personal rating on parts that I have purchased and installed myself.

Im a Do it yourself kind of guy and willing to take the time as need to learn/buy the tools that I might need. As things come along there might be a few things I wont be able to tackle but thats where the pros come in.

First on the list that she needed was Regular maintenance.

Out with the old in with the new NGK plugs.
    Fresh Royal Purple 5w-30 for the engine
    Royal purple 75-90 for the Tranny and Diff aswell.

I thought that it would be a good time to replace the stock small JDM battery with a Yellow top deep cycle battery from Costco. Man I love that place.
    With that in place and conected by larger battery terminals from Canadian tire I was set.

So I figured I would meet up with the guys a test her out.

After a good weekend session I park the whip back at home. Couple hours later my dad informs me that the Skyrine seems to have taken a piss all over the drive way...
    A "thick, strong odered fluid dripping from under my gas tank"

On further inspection I find a pinhole sized leak in my lovely conditioned Hicas lines. On to Gtrc I go to fix my problem, with a quick serch I come across a DIY for Hicas Delete. I would post the link but I cant seem to find it anymore.

At this time I decide its time to source some parts:

-Hicas Lockout Bar From Autodream
    - New Oem Tie Rods with ends from Ztune
    - power steering hose to loop front power steering line from local Canadian tire

Looked a little like this:

Gas tank had to come out to get at the damn hicas rack

My dad was not happy with is oil filled driveway.

Wasnt to bad geting it out, but sure a pain in the butt putiing the tie rods in and ends as I had the press them in under the car.

If I were to do it again I would get the tire shop to press them in and then do the wheel alingment. Which I did soon after I got the car put back together.
    Following the DIY to the tee I sniped the green wire to the computer and filled the power steering up and moved tires side to side rack to rack end.

I think the was about 100 pounds lighter after all the lines and soleniods were out.

Done for the day. No more hicas leaks and to more rear tire moving:P
    I mean everyone knows GTST's dont need Hicas right:P?

Product rated system time:

Graded on a simple 1-10 scale taking "price,product parts, quality and fitment" into consideration for all.

Costco Yellow top Battery = 10/10 as it fit perfect becuase I measured and Have not had a problem with it yet.
    Autodreams custom Hicas Lockout bar = 9/10 as it fit perfect with correct harware and tie rods threaded properly into it. Only thing it needed was some sprakle orange paint and I would be set.
    Oem Replacement Tie rods/ends Front and back = 9/10 perfect fit as expected, well price from ztune and would be a 10 but ill leave the 10 for an aftermarket beefer set.

Alltho ztune is no longer with us here at GTRC i hear tell many of there employees live on and have a new shop in the workx. Mokeynuts anyone.

So I would like to thank those shops and store that helped me out so far. And dads driveway I sopose.
    Last edited by Supraclean; 10-23-2010, 01:11 PM. Reason: updates
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Major Decision Time

With the summer of 2009 wrapping up I was looking at alot of build threads and thinking to myself were I see myself and skyline over the next few years. I didnt think I would hold a car so close as I have but thats the way it turned out. From that point on I decided that Im never going to sell it and im only 20 once.

Thus the "Drift Sicle" build was born and started growing at a fair rate.

I wanted a summer cruizer/weekend warrior/ amatuer drift entry level car
    I relize that thats not competely been comitted to one aspect of the build. I still like having back seats and no roll cage atm.

DMCC Am class only requires Dot approve Helmets and proper clothing with a pit pass. I am not just going for those qualifications tho. Plans will be in order for full cage and seats, battery shut off in the future.

I needed to up my reaserch and store all the info on aftermarket parts for my engine/ build that I could. From Engine to suspension I wanted to cover it all as fast as possible.

The tear down would begin for the build would begin late fall as I wanted to get a jump on it before winter. Storing it in your parents garage is nice and all but thats under there rules and not your space. Going to have to do sumpthing about that.

bumper off

Canadian tire tools are a must for me as I cant afford the baller ones untill I have my own place.

Turbo off... Most of you know how much fun that is. Lots of blood, sweat and tears were lost over this fight.

That is how she sat for the winter of 2009.

I will admit If I could it over again it would all be bought in a different order. but here are some to list off for the upcoming year.

This purchase was made before the drift plans but Still adds to the car as it is neat and tidy and sound great.

$2000 worth of audio/stereo equipment was purchased as the japanese ones were doneskis.....

Enough with the useless purchase and Ill get on the more exciting ones.

Everyone knows that to drift you have to have wicked paint valve covers so lets get that done first.

As you can see I really like orange.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Drift Sicle Build Outline

At this point my outline with most of the parts sourced or subject to change.

Engine:
      -RB20 Stock bottom end
      -Rb20 stock head with goodies
      -ARP Headstuds
      -Tomei 256 8.5 Poncams
      -Splitfire Coils
      -New Oem Headgasket
      -Nismo Thermostat
      -Nismo Oil cap
      -Nismo FPR
      -Powder coated Orange Covers
      -HKS 2 BOV
      -PNT Engineering Intake Manifold with 80mm Throttlebody
      -Deatschwerks 550 injectors
      -Walbro 255 fuel pump
      -Autobhan Rad hoses
      -Godspeed 3inch Rad with Twin electric fans
      -Greddy Spec V intercooler
      -Vibrant intercooler with couplers
      -Autobahn intake pipe for turbo
      -Apexi cone filter
      -Z32 maf with tomei plug
      -Garrett GT2871R T3 turbo .63
      -Tial 44m with sreamer pipe
      -Godspeed top mount manifold
      -Earls braided oil coolant lines
      -Custom oil drain
      -Greddy Oilfilter relocation
      -Apexi Power FC for rb20 with electronic Boost controler
      -Aftermarket Blue underdrive pully set
      -Blue Lightweight Cam Gears
      -New Exhaust, intake gaskets
      -Greddy timing belt
      -OEM water pump,tensioner,ilder,spring
      -Custom Downpipe
      -3 inch exhaust with Apexi N1 Muffler
      - NGK Irduim plugs/ Need to switch out before tune

Drive train:
      -Spec stage 3, 6 puck clutch
      - Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

Exterior:

-Spoilerless
      -VS MX Rims
      -18x8 +21 Front
      -18x10 -4 Rear

Suspension:
      -Tein Super Street coilovers
      -Hicas Lockbar/ Driftworks elimator
      -Driftworks Full ajustable arms kit - need to buy
      -Driftworks bushings - need to buy
      -Whiteline Sway bars ends -need to buy

Interior:
      -Sparco Steering wheel
      -Boss hub
      -Broadway mirror
      -Razo Shift knob
      -Razo pedels
      -Greddy Dual A pillar Pod
      - Inovate Wideband with 60m guage
      -JL speaks front and back
      -JL 5 channel amp with capacitor

I hope I didnt miss to many things but this is what I have planned up untill this point.

I will be shooting for around 320-350hp with this current setup if everything holds up for the first tune and break in. I would like to see a little more but I think I will need cams/headwork and bottom end done at that time.
      A good tune will be in order once everything is installed.

A couple pics of the goods:

As the parts start rolling in and winter is in full effect I realize that swapping all of this cant be done in my Dads garage. I think its time the Skyline has its own garage to park in.

The winter months were painfull as the project has come to a stop for a New House with double car parking

This is how she has sat from April 2010 untill now. With garage all finished and heat on its way this friday the 28th of October. The build can is now back on track and parts are been installed.

How she sit right now:
      Last edited by Supraclean; 09-04-2011, 11:15 AM.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Small Update!

Another shot of some goodies: Apexi Power FC, Z32 maf with Apexi Cone and KU Front facing plenum with 80m Throttlebody. O and Quash, gota have the Quash.

I got the manifold mocked up and tested fitted. One of the bolts on the water pipe comes in contact with the thermostat pipe. Gave her a little grind and she fits like a glove.

This weekend Im going to finish up the timing belt/tensioner/idler/spring.
        -Intall S14 throttle cable ( As the stock rb20 cable is to short)
        Props going out to M13 for the hip tricks of the Rb trade:P
        -also install AAC valve on the belly side of plenum.

I spending some time on the Driftworks site not only Drooling over there parts but in there tech/Drift discusion section. The topic of (VAGUE STEERING) or feeling slugish got me wondering about the causes.

This:?

Seems like there alot of play in the rubber bushing, and as far as I can find on "driftworks" puting in a solid bushing fixes the problem. If anyone has already done this how did it feel afterwords?

I think it would be a great upgrade for you guys that already have your engines out, as it might be a PITA to get at while engine is in. Even for the track i sopose aswell.
        This is what I was looking at but might try and make it myself.

Doesnt look to hard to make, well see what I come up with.

Also I am undecied what to do with my oil drain situation.
        If you can see in the picture I can rotate the drain further towards the manifold as gravity can do its buseiness. It will probably come in contact tho.

Im now wondering if I am better off trying to get braided line for that aswell.
        My question is do you guys think im ok to have it coming out like that?
        Or will I need to have it facing down?
        Its underpressure so I dont see why not, but this is my first turbo car and I dont feel like wrecking a turbo over it.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Oil drain needs to be as close to vertical as possible. Doesn't need to be perfectly vertical though. What you have there won't work at all.

Topic of steering bushing: I put in a touge factory bushing in my car. Noticeable difference, worth the money. Bings.ca sells them for $20.

2871r is a good choice I think for an rb20. SR guys manage some great results with the .63 turbine housing. Although I have to say that manifold makes me cringe. I had one of somewhat similar design...boost will go no less than 20psi with a 38mm wg without modifications. The exhaust gas has to make a 180 degree turn from its direction of flow, this makes for horrible boost control. I hate to be a downer but I've learned from experience.

Comment

sick build man, looking good
            - Adam

:
            http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

Love it!
              Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Thank you guys for the comments, ill do my best to keep it updated.

Hey Zacho your defiantly not a debbie downer, its a build thread I wanna hear what you guys got. Especially if you have had bad experience with something similar. I'm going to rotate my oil drain more and make it work.

Also I knew I saw that bushing on bings, I couldn't find it the other day. So thankyou again, 20 in canada is better then wait a week or 2 from a 25$ from the UK.

No less then 20psi you say? Damn I will take a look into this and back to you guys.

Also the turbo is the 63 housing. I had months to figure out what turbo I wanted to go with. This one seemed to fit all the areas I needed for. Can't wait to get this thing running.
                Last edited by Supraclean; 10-28-2010, 09:53 AM.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Small Update!

So after geting most of the engine back together and moving on to putting the timing belt components back on I notice that only half of my camshaft spins.... On a closer inspection its because I must have not checked if the exhaust cam was proparly seated. I locked everything down in seqience and to prper spec. O well lesson learned.

I wont post up a picture as I havnt talken one becuase I am to embarrassed! I have came clean tho and let you guys know:P

So I need new camshafts now: Pow Tomei Poncam with 256 degree Intake&Exhuast/Valve Lift 8.5mm

Locked in and puting covers on finally:

Now I can finally put the new Greddy timing belt, Oem tensioner,idler and spring back on.

Sure is nice working in the heated Garage, Im really happy I went this route. As much as I "could have huddled of a small heater" all winter long. This is better in the long run.

I tried my hand next at a little painting, I orignally paint my fuel rail blue but I think ill go with something more up my alley. Hmmm maybe white? NOOOOTT

And had to do hood stick and rad supports!

Feels good to have the plenum put together and now I can map out and get an idea of how to run my fuel lines/vaccum lines. Obvously more can be done once the engine is in tho.
                  Basicly doing everything I can untill more funds come in for a series 2 Rb25 tranny, im currently entertaining the thought of using a z32 transmission tho.

All in all im happy with the progress and basicly have a couple things to hunt down before everything goes back in.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

did you use just regular paint, or did you get the High temp stuff?

just wondering in case i go the same route
                    sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
                    ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

Hey Nathan, I actually went to Napa and they color matched my valve covers as best as they could. Took Three paint cans with a base coat, middle had the sparkle in it. The last one was a clear sealer.
                      Go for it, I was happy with the out come.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

WTF ahah. you know my name.

whats your?

I actually just ordered a paint gun online so im hoping to get into the body work aspect of cars now that im done a fair bit with mechanical. Ill be painting my 4runner and my 240sx and those will be my pactice cars so i can "perfect" my painting skills. then i can do smaller stuff like rims and stuff like valve covers and timing belt covers.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hehe yea its shorter to type. My name is Tanner and by the sounds of it ill probably meet up with you at either Dmcc,( if all goes well). Or possible Bc vs Ab event next year.

Good call on the paint gun, I also have plans for a small paint booth/ possible welder on the list for next years buy list. I find myself jumping in head first into the whole car fab/paint custom idea. Between the Gtr/gtst build threads I find myself wanting more, so thank to all of you guys out there for giving me the inspiration for expanding my hobbies even more.

Good thing you have a couple practice rides to test your hand at!

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Hey Tanner.

**** I didn't realize how far Grande Prairie actually is. Thats quite a drive for you to any DMCC events. Any tracks up there?

My Dad is in the middle of a move to Edson and my brother is actually up in Grande Cache working in the coalmines. Ill be joining my dad in edson for a few months in the new year, not sure how long i will stay up (depends if i like it and what not).

That way we would be closer. Still like a 3.5 hour drive haha. But better than 14 hour drive.

I was so close to buying a welder and then i didn't. Once my dad, my brother, and I find a shop in edson. That is when i will start to build my tool collection.

Im tired of carrying around a little tool kit from Canadian tire for my tools. But i also want a welder and a decent size air compressor for air tools and my paint gun.

I prefer to do all my work myself and the more stuff i can do and the more skills i have, the more work i can continue to do myself.

Time will tell what actually happens though haha

cheers
                            sigpic

Comment

Nathan,

Yea Gp is a fair ways to go but more of an excuse for a road trip! Round up the boyz and take the cars out to where they can play with the other jdms.

As for tracks we only have an oval track that will let us demo drift on stock car days about an hour away but require cage that I don't have ... Yet! They have a yearly Drag wars that we can enter but that's it.

Yea I totally know what you mean, I started my tool collection when I lived with my parents but between my dads stuff and skyline stuff there was no room. That's when I had to look at my skyline under a car cover/traps for one winter... Which forced my decision into buy a new house!

So all in all it has been a good road so far. The only thing I have had to get done is a wheel alingment/ tires mounted and headed checked/cleaned. I plan on buying a pipe bender and having a buddy help me with custom intercooler setup.

Indeed time will tell, I promise this thing will make a tune date come summer time. Small updates with engine/SS brakelines incoming soon.

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Working...
                              X