No announcement yet.

The 5 litre eater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you sure you wanna heat wrap that manifold?
    Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Why not? Figured it would be best to keep as much heat out of the engine bay as possible. Although it is looking like it would be hard to wrap it due how close each pipe is.
      Last edited by mattk; 02-27-2011, 05:29 AM.

Comment

cool same turbo as my build. Make sure you get the manifold surfaced too because those ebay ones suck at that. I went with a OBX instead because of how common that design cracks. (that's why rabbit commented about wrapping, since that will promote cracking even more)

Comment

my godspeed top mount manifold fit so bad that the godspeed gt30 turbo i bought with it didnt even fit.... the flange was pointed so directly to the head that i had to get a machinest friend to make me a custom angled adaptor... no more godspeed stuff for me. you have some nice parts tho! glad yours worked bit better...

Comment

also dont use the gaskets they give you! you will want the thicker oem gasket for the manifold! my top mountmanifold also had to be drilled out a bit... didnt even ******* fit on the studs

Comment

Oh i hear all of ya. Freakin godspeed manifolds. I aslo found that the flange to the head didnt line up well with the studs, And yes i am going to get the surfaces done because they look like ****. Even had grinding markes across the surfaces from when it was ported. Was filled with gunk inside from the welding and grinding. Ya those OBX manifolds look nice.
              Last edited by mattk; 02-27-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Lol m13 you're running an obx maifold too?
                Why are our builds the same?

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk
                Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Little update:
                  I decided im going to end up doing a port and polish to the head, especially after seeing how rough the cast from factory is. I want to get the head flowing better then stock and so that theres not such a different step between the manifold and the head. So heres a shot of a port before starting.

So i began by smoothing the surfaces to get rid of the dimbles from the cast.

And then smoothing out a bit more, and then a little sanding.

Not done yet, First time doing port and polish my self, so if anyones got suggustions I always like learning more. Im smoothing the surfaces at the moment waiting for my manifold back from the machine shop. But once it comes in, im gonna match the ports and then head should be ready to go back together. Doing the job takes patients and time. Better pics yet to come.

Comment

I know this may sound dumb, but is that a massive crack down the inside on the right in the bottom picture?

Comment

Cant excatly remember how they do the cast at the moment, but no its not a crack, its caused from the process in which they cast the head. And since cast doesnt always come out perfect, Thats what you left to work with. OOOO well fix it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by RABBIT View Post
                        Lol m13 you're running an obx maifold too?
                        Why are our builds the same?

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk
                        great minds think alike? Your build is gonna be sick.

Comment

Awesome build, keep the updates and pictures comin! looks good so far!!

My gtr is "mildly" modified, and working at a local ford dealership I have driven the new mustang, My gtr would eat it for dinner. stock 2011 mustang 5.0 vs stock 1992 BNR32, the mustang would most likely win.
                          1992 Dark Blue Pearl Skyline GTR - 457 rwhp, 404 tq @ 19 psi , chevron 94.
                          1991 Gunmetal GTS4 - SOLD

Originally posted by dah_hunter
                          i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Comment

Thanks......

So I put many hours of work in this weekend on the car and the results have came out pretty good so far. Got all the polishing done except for a couple touch ups. My manifold should be back tomorow so i can get the porting done, and then the head back together.

Couple pics before/ During polish.

And then

And thats how it sits till i can do the porting.
                            Not to bad for my first time, And saved quite a bit of money compared to sending it in to get a port and polish done.

Comment

wow looks pretty good i have never done this myself but makes me wanna give it a shot. when i start my build i will definately look up the process. good luck with the build. quick question in your second last pic (comparing the right side befor and after) it looks like a tiny chunk right in the middle wher the two channels meet dislodged? since its cast is this something you need to be very carful with? obviously when it gets pretty thin could start to come apart? excuse my ignorance

Comment

oh and never mind they are different channels altogether arent they? same question with the "flaking" though

Comment

Working...
                                X