Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like.

Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post
    I've removed all the HICAS Garbage with the exception of the controller. If i remove this (and delete all the wiring) Apparently i will loose speed sensitive steering and my steering feel will go either super light or super hard. The only way around this i think would be running a S13 rack. Does anyone have a better solution?
    HICAS ECU has speed input from dash? (trace the wiring to front of car to confirm) and HICAS ECU sends a signal to a valve on drivers side of steering rack (from memory it has wiring to valve, so should be easy to spot) that adjust's the amount of powersteering assistance. When HICAS ECU goes into limp mode or doesn't work properly the assistance is as much as you would get at 180-200km/h, so the steering would be heavier at lower speeds only.

If can find a way to send a signal to that valve to adjust the valve closed as speed rises (maybe a window switch or similar for speed that closes the valve), can eliminate HICAS ECU. Otherwise most earth all sensors, etc to HICAS ECU (makes HICAS ECU think the sensors, etc are still there) and use HICAS ECU for that job.

There is a line graph on the internet somewhere showing powersteering assistance vs vehicle speed (I gather what's programmed into HICAS ECU).

Can buy a Tomei HICAS lock kit that has this wiring part done for you (HICAS ECU) -

The Tomei HICAS lock eliminates both electrically and physically the HICAS system.
    Last edited by Skym; 10-24-2013, 09:25 AM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• Originally posted by Modb View Post
      Thats awesome what did you use to design the coil pack cover?
      The cover was designed in Solidworks and rendered in a program called Keyshot.

I might get around to cutting it mid to late November, work has been crazy this fall. Ill update this thread a bit when I am home from work.
      Jordie Lewis
      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Havent updated this thread in a hot minute.

Its winter here in Canada and having the car wrapped up and hibernating for the winter. sad times.

In my last post, I had made up the cad file to cut my new coil pack cover. Lately i've been super busy with work getting lots of project proposals out and havent had much time to work on the car.

I managed to program the .nc file to run the cover on our router machine. I usually use this to cut lenses out of polycarbonate and other simple stuff, this was my first time programming something a little more complex.

I only had my cell phone to take pics with at work.

The program ran the part using a .125" tool to do the "finer" details and a .250" tool to clear the majority of the material away. We do have a .0625" tool I would have liked to have used to make tighter radii but didnt want to break it.

The tooling marks are easily sanded down and buffed but it was an interesting process to watch

The whole process took about 40 min from start to finish and I'm pretty stoked on how it turned out. It will even look better with the Purple Oil cap thats in the mail.

It still needs to be finished, sanded and painted. I might try and make one with countersunk hardware as I think it will suit the thinner material thickness and give it a cleaner look.
        the owner of my company gave me the go ahead to use the machine whenever I like (provided there is someone else in the building) so I will keep refining the design until It is to my standards.

Once I perfect the program, I might start making vented coil pack covers as there seems to be some interest for them.

Since its winter I have also been dabbling with photoshop to see what graphics I like. Nothing wild, Something simple like the Endless R32

Either a matte black or grey stripe with the Tommy Kaira logo on the lower portion of the door

I am also waiting on some parts in the mail,

- Like I mentioned, I caved and bought the HKS Oil cap
        - I am waiting on a GKTECH Fan and RB Adaptor (currently out of stock and on back order)
        - as well boring stuff like tierod ends and steering boots (AMS had a sale for black friday and I got everything for 70% off)

Its supposed to warm up a bit this weekend (only to +6 C) , I might take final measurements for the cooling panel and cut it as well. we shall see.

-Jordie
        Last edited by S13Jordie; 11-28-2013, 09:47 PM.
        Jordie Lewis
        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Wow. Looking great man!! What I'd give to have access to machines to design/produce items on a whim...!!!

If you decided to make those vented coilpack covers, I'll take one for a GTR, and I know 2 people with Rb20's that would buy one tomorrow.

Rick
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

• Originally posted by RixR32 View Post
            Wow. Looking great man!! What I'd give to have access to machines to design/produce items on a whim...!!!

If you decided to make those vented coilpack covers, I'll take one for a GTR, and I know 2 people with Rb20's that would buy one tomorrow.

Rick
            Thanks Rick! I'm stoked that my boss gave me to official go ahead to use the equipment at work

It was pouring all day today so I took another crack at perfecting the HKS Coilpack cover. The first one I made needed some minor tweaks to the program.

I corrected the tool path to it makes nice clean linear cuts rather than going around the parameter of the letters and got rid of the counterbore holes for the hardware.

as requested, I made up a pair of vented covers as well.

The Fitment is spot on and should provide the much needed cooling to prevent misfires while at the track.

I'm just waiting on my countersunk hardware from spaenaur and these should be in production soon.

I missed the UPS man on friday so my oil cap should be here Monday. I also got my stuff from AMS today.

-Jordie
            Last edited by S13Jordie; 12-01-2013, 09:35 PM.
            Jordie Lewis
            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Christmas came early today and everything showed up today (So I have to Show it off)

I know i've posted enough pics of my motor but i'm just so happy how it all came together.

Finally got my package for GKTECH and the quality looks great. Cant wait to see how it preforms.

Much Quality. So Cooling. WOW

Maintenance stuff in from AMS's Black Friday Sale. Got 2 steering rack boots and 2 outer tierod ends for just over $20

Also picked up some bar ends and brackets from OMP to turn my 4 point cage to a 5 point.
              Jordie Lewis
              1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Maintenance stuff in from AMS's Black Friday Sale. Got 2 steering rack boots and 2 outer tierod ends for just over $20
                That is beyond stupid cheap!!! Last year I paid $60 EACH for OEM tie rod ends. Uhg.
                Regardless, your car / motor are looking fantastic, and I'm jealous.
                Originally posted by victoriaGTR
                tire smoke makes my wiener tingle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wootang View Post
                  That is beyond stupid cheap!!! Last year I paid $60 EACH for OEM tie rod ends. Uhg.
                  Regardless, your car / motor are looking fantastic, and I'm jealous.
                  Hey, thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I can get it all back together this year.

When Vuk posted the AMS blackfriday saie, it seemed like a no brainer everything was so cheap.

Not much progress on the car as its been snowing and i've been busy producing coilpack covers for people. After Christmas I hope to order all the components for an oil cooler setup as well as some more HKS goodies.

-Jordie
                  Jordie Lewis
                  1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Did I see that you were planning an addition+garage on the house...?
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

• Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                      Did I see that you were planning an addition+garage on the house...?
                      Haha I wish, A builder recently started building a huge ugly house next to mine. My Girlfriend and I are both designers and couldn't resist playing around in sketchup. We obviously don't have the cash but it was fun to play around.

Since I don't have a garage and its still awful outside, here is a photoshoot of parts i've collected for the build.

In keeping with the HKS theme, It was a real no brainer what intake to get. I ordered it just after Christmas and got a wicked deal through FR Sport. I am aware that it is the 180sx Kit but I plan on making an airbox from aluminum and running a blow through mafs setup.

Japan Dog Approves.

There has been some controversy over the HKS mushroom intakes. Since the initial release, HKS has addressed the issues that plagued their earlier filter design. I made sure to get it some a reputable distributor to ensure product authenticity. Regardless I think it looks rad and will go well with the rest of the engine bay (Plus it came in the coolest box i've ever seen )

I also picked up an older model Blitz blowoff valve. Many might be surprised that it isnt an HKS SSQV. Truth is that I CANNOT STAND the ricer "PEW PEW" sound.

Anyways I picked this up off my friend Liam who had used it on his 1JZ Cefiro. The price was right and it is in pretty good shape.

Because it is winter and I lack a garage, I've decided to bring life back into my old Tamiya RC car. I found it stashed in my closet at my parents house over the holidays.

Here it is in all its glory. It started out as a Ferrari Enzo Kit (TT-01 i believe). I had this when I was 15 and before I got into real cars. This is also waaay before the drifting boom happened and before any RC manufactures jumped on the bandwagon so It has ghetto PVC pipe "tires" for drifting.

The plan is to practice solidworks and by using the new polycarbonate printer at work create a replica of my car. I tried doing this with a 1/24 model but the scale was too small. The 1/10 scale will be a lot more manageable.

I picked up the Tamiya R32 Kit as a base to start from (it actually just showed up today). I really like the detail of their products when compared to HPI and other brands.

Ive started on designing the CAD for the wheels. No one really knows Nismo NS5R wheels let alone makes replicas for RC cars. I grabbed all the dimensions from the wheels that came with the ENZO Kit. I still have to do some fine tuning on the offset so they fit the body perfectly and should have them printed over the weekend (granted there is nothing else pressing to be run)

I also plan on replicating my eastbear mirrors, Bomex wangan wing, muffler and tommykaira rear skirt.

Please excuse the deviation from the build but it is winter and I am bored.

Will update once parts are made in solidworks and printed or I have more actual car parts.

Thanks for reading.

-Jordie
                      Last edited by S13Jordie; 01-15-2014, 11:33 PM.
                      Jordie Lewis
                      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Not much to really report on but I thought i'd share whats going on. I printed wheels for project Mini-Me, they still need sanding and painting.

I've been really busy making and selling custom vented RB coilpack covers and have started developing S13 SR ones as well.

I finally got my HKS one powdercoated wrinkle black but am on the fence if I should sand the letters or leave them as is.

Its been a long ass winter and I cannot wait to start working on the project again.

-Jordie
                        Jordie Lewis
                        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• sand letters.
                          RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

• I am afraid that sanding them might make them stand out. The valve covers are pretty loud (color wise). Anyways I will see how it looks when its in the car and I may sand them we shall see.

Small Side Project-

when I got my car it was missing the rubber pads that cover the clutch and brake pedals. I have been looking on and off for "old nismo" pedals, but quickly relized that they are +$200 and that is way to much to spend on something that gets trod on every time you're driving the car.

So a couple hours in Solidworks and CNC programming I had this:

They mount using #8 countersunk machine screws and the mounting holes are based off MOMO/ Sparco universal mounting patterns.

(Sorry for the Cellphone/ Instagram Pics)

They are cut from a flat sheet and will be bent using my old MOMO pedals as a template.

-Jordie
                            Jordie Lewis
                            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• How much for a set of those pedals?

Comment

• dude! I'm totally on the same page with your taste! love the period correctness of it all.

Looking to do something similar to the endless gtr for graphics as well.

Please please can I get a set of your steering column gauge holders and nismo pedal set?!! both so incredibly awesome!
                                BNR32, AE86, MX73(project for sale), RN130

Comment

Working...
                                X