Jordies '93 GTST Type M... Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like.

Weight of RB25 engine, +30kg for RB25DET gearbox (need more hp to get power to weight back to what you have with RB20DET) and need gearbox oilcooler + pump for RB25DET gearbox if use on racetrack due to less room in driveshaft tunnel for air to cool gearbox, need VVT compatible computer, higher compression engine that limit's boost level you can run (under 20 psi) without failing when thrashing car at racetrack, need custom driveshaft and driveshaft loops are required incase the driveshaft joints fail (probably not a requirement in Canada, but a recommended mod).

Cheaper to buy a crashed GTR and swap everything over (convert GTR gearbox to rwd), as you make a RB25DET engine into a RB26DETT engine. Basically don't make engine something it's not.

In my opinion RB20, RB26, LS V8 or Nissan V8 (new Nissan V8's produce around 400hp at factory and have better lateral balance than RB engine, so can corner faster and I think factory computer is reflashable and is lighter than RB engines). With supercharger kit you could get 550hp out of a Nissan V8 with better bottomend than RB25DET, RB26DETT.

Also Nissan V8 design is based of a Chevy engine (Nissan used to run a 5.5 litre Chevy V8 in 1968 R381 Lemans racecar), so the same parts from Chevy engines are said to fit inside.
    Last edited by Skym; 01-21-2013, 10:05 PM.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Lol Skym i thought you and your wealth of knowledge would respond.

Ive pretty much limited my choices to RB20 or 25 based on skill level and resources.

I am looking at around 2500 for a 25 that comes from japan in a clip so its protected plus I can hear it run (not some tire shined jdm mystery motor that got shipped over under 389742398742 other motors). This price includes the trans, wiring, ecu and misc things like the fan shroud ect ect.

I am not looking to track this car every weekend. I just want a cool 90's time capsule highway cruiser. It will most likely see the track less than a handfull of times per year (when its completed lol) This isnt a race car either so the increased weight is not an issue. Just to put it into perspective the weight increase over an rb20 is around the same as a tank of fuel if not less. The torque alone difference will make up for the extra weight.
      Jordie Lewis
      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

Id go 25 if I was in your shoes aswell man, dont get me wrong I love the 20 and have spent more into mine in mods and bolt- ons I probably could have dropped in a Ls7 ha.

Dropped a 25 into a buddies and the power and torque is awesome + vvt cant go wrong. $2500 is usually the higher price bracket But if you can find one a Neo 25 would be an even better choice I think.
        Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

2500 for the motor? or the clip....
          Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post

My importer got me thinking more of Rb25's. for not that much more money, you open up future potential. I know ive gone back and forth on this one for a while now.

Not to mention parts such as intake manifolds are 1/2 the price and there seems to be more aftermarket support as a whole. You also cant really go wrong with a newer motor.

Any thoughts? (besides emir lol)
            haha that was my exact reasoning for me to justify buying an rb25, intake manifold was like 250 bucks where as on the rb20 they go for 700 - 1000 -_-.
            plus the rb25 can make way more power than the 20.

check these guys out http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/ thats where i got my motor from and they are in Toronto.
            engine is mint. 175psi compression across the board.
            Last edited by nick-nismo; 01-22-2013, 03:12 AM.
            Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

But those cheap RB25DET intake manifolds are made of cheap material and usually don't have trumpets, shape of intake plenum is wrong, just to name few problems with them.

Lol Skym i thought you and your wealth of knowledge would respond.
              I don't think I know that much, just looked into those options for my car. Also thank you for your kind words.

Ive pretty much limited my choices to RB20 or 25 based on skill level and resources.
              I stayed with RB20DET because it's a challenge and good base to work with (thicker block, stronger ringlands, shorter stroke for increased transient response), cheap to replace due to people dump them for other engines. Also good if aiming under 400hp and want a lighter engine, gearbox (can get chassis down to 1000kg area and mix with a 400hp+ engine).

Like said above, RB25DET is good if want torque, hp, over 400hp. NEO has the CAS problem where ignition timing can wander due to wear on front of exhaust cam with old / loose cambelt (fit ROSS crank trigger setup with aftermarket ECU to solve it), so R32 RB20DET, R33 RB25DET, R32, R33 RB26DETT with Mitsubishi CAS is best.
              Last edited by Skym; 01-22-2013, 06:06 AM.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by nick-nismo View Post
                haha that was my exact reasoning for me to justify buying an rb25, intake manifold was like 250 bucks where as on the rb20 they go for 700 - 1000 -_-.
                plus the rb25 can make way more power than the 20.

check these guys out http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/ thats where i got my motor from and they are in Toronto.
                engine is mint. 175psi compression across the board.
                thanks for the link. I know plenty of people who have bought cars, clips and motors from them. You never know what you are getting when there is a tire shined engine sitting on a skid on the floor. you might be extremely lucky and get one with perfect compression or you might be buying a dud. I have already dealt with a dud and never want to have to again. Also, for me customer service goes along way. At most importers i often get the feeling that they dont want my business, they're often hesitant to let people look around and heaven forbid you want them to get something off the shelf. I cant help but feeling they want my money and want me to leave.

The Guys at Riworx are super helpful and took the time to talk and go over options with me. When I got my rad support from them on the weekend they got the forklift out right away and brought it down. If i order the clip i can hear it run at the shop and get to know the how many kms are on the motor.

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                2500 for the motor? or the clip....
                2500 (ish) is for the running gear, motor/trans, wiring and ecu. the importer then keeps the metal, fenders and hood ect to sell
                Jordie Lewis
                1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

sell out. get an R33 why don't you.

:

Comment

Very nice Jordie. I don't know if its because I was looking for stuff *in stock* but the one time I went to riworx I wasn't too happy. All Honda stuff, no skyline stuff in stock at all. But all my buddies go there and have good things to say. Guess I caught them at a bad time

Comment

• you Did ryan. He has multiple skylines (customers) there, including mine. Parts for these come and go very quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by zac3ne2nr View Post
                        you Did ryan. He has multiple skylines (customers) there, including mine. Parts for these come and go very quickly.
                        Glad to see youre alive haha

I have to agree with zac. Riworx did work to my 240 and gts when it was on the road. It is a relatively small space so the inventory tends to change over quite quickly.
                        Jordie Lewis
                        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post

...Any thoughts? (besides emir lol)

Ahahaha, i'll reiterate anyway...RB20DET!!!

I agree with a lot of what Skym said, especially the power to weight ratio stuff and the part about the cheap intake manifolds. I would really only trust the Greddy manifold for rb25 and that's 1000+.

I've heard too many horror stories from Tiger Japan to ever deal with them. Also not a fan of riworx from personal experience when I first bought my car, but other people seem to have good dealings with them. Good call on getting a clip as opposed to some engine from a stack of engines at an importer.

Also made some corrections for you below lol

I am looking to track this car every weekend. I just want a cool 90's time capsule daily drifter. It will most definitely see the track more than a handfull of times per year (when its completed lol)...

Comment

• I know ive gone on about the rb20/25 back and forth but today I settled on an RB20. Its decided, The deal was just too good to pass up

My Good friend Oliver was building this Z

He posted a part out thread and wanted $400 for the motor which was refreshed and included, new timing belt, tensioner, rear main seal and new accessories such as alternator. It also has a rear sump pan because it was going into the Z ( I will have to use my old one). But for $700 it included ECU, Harness, MAFS and a Forward Facing Plenum. This was the deal maker, because they are expensive new and i really didnt want to have 4857439878324 miles of piping.

Anyways Here are some of the trendy pics from the FS Ad (which im sure many of you have seen)

I am going to grab it on the weekend. With the new house and all the work i want to do there, the rb25 build would have taken lots longer. This way i get the car back up and running again sooner and have more money for an upgraded turbo, injectors and other things.
                            Last edited by S13Jordie; 01-30-2013, 06:22 PM.
                            Jordie Lewis
                            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• so your the one that caused me not to pick up that intake!!!oh well hope you enjoy it.

Comment

• Just from what I've found online in the last week, I wish I were able to hang with you and your friends Jordie. I just read both Oliver's and Liam's builds entirely. And saw santi's progress thread. Cool guys, and all my age! Rarity now a days.

Comment

Working...
                                X