No announcement yet.

Jordies '93 GTST Type M... Progress Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that is so damn slick. making them out of aluminum is gonna look awesome.

i'm so jelly.

Comment

• Awhile ago I printed this for my HKS Turbo timer with one of our printers at work. And recently got around to fixing it to my vent surround/ under steering wheel trim piece for my R32.

Here is a quick mock up for my Boost/ Water temp gauge holders I made recently. I most likely will make the holder one piece when i produce it out of aluminum.

Last edited by S13Jordie; 06-08-2013, 05:50 PM.
      Jordie Lewis
      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Hokey So, made the trek to my parents house over the weekend to get things ready for it to my to my friends (autobody mechanic) for some dent repair and a new rad support. While I cleaned the engine bay and removed the 20yr old dried out wiring harness mounts most of the weekend was spent putting my interior back together.

As i am an industrial designer by trade, I tend to over think small details like this. I was really against drilling into the dash to mount my gauges because i think its tacky. The option of mounting them in the A pillar was out too because It looks even worse (my opinion) and its annoying to constantly have bright lights in my field of vision.

A few months ago I prototyped this column mount pod on our 3d Printer. I liked the way it fit in the car and was made the gauges easy to read without being distracting.

Was able to buzz a couple out on our new CNC Router Machine with some scrap textured polycarbonate we had lying around

Went to Home Depot and picked up some "L" Corner Brackets and mocked everything up with an older broken gauge I had kicking around the shed.

Here are the finished products:

Two 60 mm Gauges on the column (boost and water temp) and 3 42mm Gauges in the center "Din" pocket. (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Exhaust Temp.)

I also Mounted the Turbo timer I made up last week:

I am absolutely stoked on how the gauges look. From the drivers seat it gives the feeling of a fighter jet

More updates to come, Thanks for Reading

-Jordie
        Jordie Lewis
        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• That looks awesome bud! I have my boost controller double side taped in the same location and this just makes what i did look horrible.
          1992 R32 GTS-T Type M

Comment

• Originally posted by M0nkeyMark View Post
            That looks awesome bud! I have my boost controller double side taped in the same location and this just makes what i did look horrible.
            Thats how mine was mounted before too haha.
            Jordie Lewis
            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Its been a busy couple of weeks.

I left the car is the above depressive state last time I worked on it. I had removed the old bent rad support and picked up a fresh (used) one from a local importers. My good friend from highschool, who is a bodyman by trade agreed to help with the re-assembly as i had no idea what i was doing. Turned out it was pretty straight forward ( Drill out old spot welds, clamp in place and weld it up. )

Here it is clamped up

Welded it up

and hood fenders re-installed.

It was a huge motivator having it looking like a car again.

Ugly dent in the front driver side corner fixed and primed

Uglier dent in the passenger rear quarter fixed and primed.

Paint tonight, cant wait

this came in to work on friday. I had requested a sample set of circular Tyco connectors for a "prototype" and this showed up.

Eventual plans are to re-locate the battery and fuse boxes in the rear seat delete, neaten up/ simplify the wiring a bit and run a quick connect for the motor harness.

Removed the rear seats to start the rear seat delete

more to come

-Jordie
              Jordie Lewis
              1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• FINALLY got my car to my house and have been busy doing many little things here and there. I bought a rust free non hicas S13 subframe and have begun the awful task of replacing all the bushings with Polyurathane units from Energy Suspension. I eventually plan on getting all adjustable arms but dont have to resources at the moment so stock arms with new bushings will suffice for now.

The rear dent came out better than I thought. So happy to have the car dent free.

and with a new R32 Rad Support

Dont mind the empty bay, Ive been plugging away at the motor as well, Maintenance things such as new gaskets, seals, thermostat and press in -10 fittings for my catch can setup. Just need to order up a new waterpump and i'm good to go.

Going to keep it pretty standard for now and upgrade turbo and injectors later down the road.

I also stripped off the brown paint from the cam covers as it wouldn't cut it for a super 90's build. Instead I made some decals in adobe Illustrator and had them cut in low tack vinyl

I spent about a week making sure the paint cured properly in between the different layers. I am absolutely stoked with the outcome.
                I did it one at a time incase it didnt work out, but will post a picture of them on the motor as soon as it has cured.

(sorry for the Iphone pic)

Quick Snap of the interior/ Gauge Setup

Put the aero back on my car to boost motivation.

It just needs a motor in to get rid of the ugly rear rake.

Got the day off tomorrow for more painting and rear subframe work. Before I go heres some more 3d printer pron

Cheers

-Jordie
                Jordie Lewis
                1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• So Many Hours Spent.

DSC_0003 by R32Jordie, on Flickr

DSC_0029 by R32Jordie, on Flickr

DSC_0028 by R32Jordie, on Flickr

So Worth It.
                  Jordie Lewis
                  1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Wow the cam covers are amazing! Really nice idea! The aero kit looks nice too!
                    2003 350z track
                    1990 Skline GTR
                    1995 240sx

Comment

• Originally posted by Eat_Sleep_Shift View Post
                      Wow the cam covers are amazing! Really nice idea! The aero kit looks nice too!
                      Thanks Buddy, Slowly but surely its all coming together.
                      Jordie Lewis
                      1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• still interested in making/selling a set of the hks gauge holders that mount on the steering column?
                        1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

• Originally posted by gtrjon View Post
                          still interested in making/selling a set of the hks gauge holders that mount on the steering column?
                          I might be able to do it without the logo as we dont have a tool small enough to get that level of detail. We just got in some sheets of 1/16" Aluminum and if we have any scraps ill try running some off

Got a bunch of little things done on the car this weekend including New poly bushings in the new (to me) S13 Non Hicas rear subframe. I am re-finishing the stock arms for now and using all poly bushings, Adjustable arms will be in the cards in the future but for now my money needs to go towards more important things. I have also replaced all the endlinks, steering rack and tension rods with Poly Bushings as well. It is painstakingly time consuming slow work so I hope the end result is worth it.

In continuing with my design ways, I have started mocking up a "ram air" to bring cooler air into the engine bay. I dont know if stock GTS-T rad supports are the same as GTR's or not but I never noticed the opening below the passenger side headlight.

644301_10151540154341540_48097080_n by R32Jordie, on Flickr

I quickly mocked up the intake to bring air from the vent in the bumper to the rad support using pink insulation foam. Great stuff to work with although it needs to be sealed before fiberglassing can happen. Ill update more on this later.

I have also recently been working with out CNC Router table at work to create aluminum parts and toying with making a coilpack cover to go along with my recently painted cam covers.

When I had my S13 I searched high and low to find this coilpack cover:

hks-spark-plug-cover-oil-cap-and-custom-painted-sr20det-valve-cover by R32Jordie, on Flickr

Now I have the machinery to make my own I may design one for my RB. I will upload a pic of the design when it is completed

I have found the Oil Cap on Ebay but I cant bring myself to pay 100 for it just yet.

Cheers,

-Jordie
                          Jordie Lewis
                          1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Finally managed to get the S13 Non Hicas and all the bushings together and painted. Now that project is done and car is back on the ground it was time to work on the interior. And by that I mean take everything apart label all the wiring and start taking out what I dont need.

It started with deleting the rear wiper and escalated from there. "oh im not using the rear wiper any more, ill just remove the wiring and simplify it"

Pretty soon my interior looked like this

I am planning on putting the fusebox in the rear seat delete along with the battery and other electronics. Its going to be alot of work but gives me something productive to do
                            during the winter while I'm stockpiling parts.

I've removed all the HICAS Garbage with the exception of the controller. If i remove this (and delete all the wiring) Apparently i will loose speed sensitive steering and my steering feel will
                            go either super light or super hard. The only way around this i think would be running a S13 rack. Does anyone have a better solution?

Now onto the fun bit! this weekend I also decided to do some CAD (carboard aided design).

The plan was to do a cooling panel and to mock up the rear seat delete.

With this template ill measure and do it in solidworks and have it cut on the router table at work. Its been busy lately so I have a few programs I have yet to run.

Akira Tried her best to help but made a mess and ruined the cardboard.

Here is a quick rendering of my "HKS" coilpack i am waiting to do on the router. Hopefully i can find some time this week.

-Jordie
                            Jordie Lewis
                            1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

• Thats awesome what did you use to design the coil pack cover?
                              Started rebuilding my skyline when i was 18
                              1992 GTST RB25DET
                              http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
                              Originally posted by Bravo
                              PS My wife just told me I was shitting in your Cheerios!
                              I'm sorry,
                              Good luck!

Comment

• That coilpack cover man, incredible!

Envoyé depuis mon SGH-I747M avec Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X