Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 HCR32 type m battleship (esh build)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 HCR32 type m battleship (esh build)

I've been on this forum for quite some time now. Might as well introduce my machina...

It all began in 2009...I was taking a break from uni and working a paid internship at IBM when in June I decided to buy an r32. It was actually through this forum that I discovered I could buy an r32 in Canada.

It was stock with only hks shroom, turbo timer, hks legal exhaust, and crazy yellow grounding kit. Timing belt already done in Japan.

It ran well and became my daily driver. I wanted to drift it, but that would come later as I needed the car for transportation.

Stored the car for winter and went back to uni.

Summer 2010

Car seemed to be quite reliable. It would take me to all my soccer games, muay thai training, out with friends, dates, anything really.

Painted the wheels black.

5th gear decided to stop working one day on the hwy, so I got the tranny swapped at Federal. Tuition was still taking up my money so no mods were done, just maintenance.

Tried to setup the 3A racing filter group buy, but turned out to be a scam, fml - lost key moola there. Ended up grabbing an amsoil filter to replace the hks shroom.

I also got an audio system installed. Sounded pretty legit.

The engine started experiencing high rpm hesitation so I set out to fix it. Cleaned maf, changed fuel filter, reset ecu...but nothing. It still ran ok so I still daily drove it.

Then in one unlucky week in august, I racked up 3 parking tickets, got my car towed from richmond st while I was at a club downtown, and hit a raccoon with my bumper while on hwy 400 at night. Bummer.

At that point, I decided after 2 seasons of daily driving, the following summer 2011 would be all about getting her to the track for some slide action. I was feenin'.

It was actually quite difficult to focus on school and not spend time ordering parts/researching skyline stuff. A part of me wanted to actually drop out of uni and become a mechanic...but I stuck through the suffering. Ordered some parts and bodykit from Adam@Feast.

Summer 2011

Finished uni in June 2011, and got to working on the car. I learned sooo much from this and other skyline forums, friends, and of course the full service manual. Became quite proficient at working on my car on the driveway that neighbours would come by and want to pay me to work on their cars...which I declined, cuz time is like gold during summer.

Sold the audio system to save weight. Also removed back seats and back speaker shelf.

Was supposed to make it out to skymeet, but unfortunately it was bad timing with fam visiting from vancouver and the peru vs colombia copa america game. (Futbol is serious business ppl). And it didnt help that car was still on jackstands with parts missing.

Also missed the first drift day at shanny.

Took a hiatus from the car to play futbol, beach days, epic trip to montreal with friends, etc etc

But then I got focused again. Removed all the HICAS stuff and installed the driftworks total hicas eliminator. Those balljoints were such a pain to remove on my driveway, but I prevailed. Also installed new HSD HR coilovers and got rid of 4x4 height. Car felt soooo different.

Time was running out for the 2nd drift day on Aug 11. So an all nighter was pulled while I installed fresh spark plugs, yellow jacket coilpacks, replaced broken vaccuum hoses, checked for boost leaks, and searched for a shell station that wasn't sold out of v-powaaa.

Aug 11 I finally made it out to a drift day at shannonville. It was wet, and I spun out LOTS. Was so exhausted with no sleep that I had to take a nap in the car halfway during the day. But damn I was hooked. Engine ran amazingly, I was really happy about that.

Since then I raised the rear a bit to improve handling. Still sunken battleship mode with stock wheels until I fit my 18x9.5 +15 battles.

Convoyed with friends to dmcc at mosport - grey car crew haha

Future Plans:

Make more powaa out of the RB20...I've considered swapping in an sr20, but there's just something about rb20's that I love. It's like the little engine that could...or couldn't if you're off boost in the wrong gear haha

...More future plans and mod list to come, this post is already long enough
    Last edited by esh; 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM.

Very nice! I am hoping to temporarily paint my rims black as well until I buy new rims.

Please don't do a sr20 swap. If you're wanting an engine swap, go 25 or even 26 if you're willing to take the time + money to do it.
    Originally posted by Robski
    do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

Nice thread!

If the 20 runs so nice, keep it man! Its a very reliable base and a EASY 280-300WHP!

Comment

Originally posted by krystalized_jdm View Post
        Very nice! I am hoping to temporarily paint my rims black as well until I buy new rims.

Please don't do a sr20 swap. If you're wanting an engine swap, go 25 or even 26 if you're willing to take the time + money to do it.
        No 25 or 26...the 20 is my fav of the rb's. Cheaper to get another 20 engine too if something goes wrong.

sr20 is a nice alternative...lighter, more aftermarket support. I only considered it though...its still rb20 all the way!

Originally posted by scred_gts4 View Post
        Nice thread!

If the 20 runs so nice, keep it man! Its a very reliable base and a EASY 280-300WHP!
        That's the plan, 300 WHP would be awesome

Comment

Over the next week and a half I'm gonna try to get all the suspension and brakes done. Oh and maybe wheel fitment and diff shimming too. We'll see how it all goes, I don't want all nighters before a track day again.

Comment

Damn, that's gonna be one prepped suspension. Awesome build so far, man.

Comment

so make the exhaust(un) legal. scrapping that cat will free up some much needed power. and not sure if you are running a fmic, but thats also the much needed cheaper and easier hp route. iam runnning a nistune and you are right to want one. it's the best bang for your buck..

and look into a holeset hx turbo. you would have to mod your manifold but it's the best money you till spend. i got a turbo that spools fast,quick,and reliable to 22psi for $60beans(no lie). check my build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                Damn, that's gonna be one prepped suspension. Awesome build so far, man.
                Thanks! Just trying to get it done right the first time

Originally posted by supersayianjim View Post
                so make the exhaust(un) legal. scrapping that cat will free up some much needed power. and not sure if you are running a fmic, but thats also the much needed cheaper and easier hp route. iam runnning a nistune and you are right to want one. it's the best bang for your buck..

and look into a holeset hx turbo. you would have to mod your manifold but it's the best money you till spend. i got a turbo that spools fast,quick,and reliable to 22psi for $60beans(no lie). check my build thread.

I got an HPI fmic that I'll be installing over winter. Will see about the exhaust then too. As for the turbo, I'm gonna have to look into the holsets...but if I buy used, I'll probably get it rebuilt. Wouldn't mind a used hks 2530 either.

Comment

My bad on the lack of updates...but here's some pictarsss and another monster post

So I missed a bunch of events, due to some parts not coming in time (new coilovers) and me deciding to get all the suspension/brakes/wheel fitment done in one go. Next time I'm doing work in the winter I swear.

My friend came by with his teg to help me rape fenders. I need a super low profile jack soooon

The rumours are true, skyline rear fenders are a b*tch to pull

No more sunken battleship, I even got some room to get rid of a bit of neg camber

Painted any cracks on the lips to prevent rust

Bought some brembo blanks and decided to paint the rotor hats...

...and other stuff

Removed my r32 FLCA. Burned bushings out of longer r33 FLCA.

Painted them and gave them some energy...lol

...more storytime tomorrow :P

Comment

good job so far!

Comment

Good build. Giving me some ideas about paint... Keep it up.

Comment

Hey buddy, Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I remember seeing your car at the august Shanny day ( i have the black R32 with Wangan Wing)

The car looks like its being done propper and should be a blast to drive. Check out SG for an alignment, Thats where i went and couldnt have been happier with the results.
                        Jordie Lewis
                        1993 Skyline Type M

Comment

Originally posted by JDMotion View Post
                          good job so far!
                          Thanks man

Originally posted by DreadedFist View Post
                          Good build. Giving me some ideas about paint... Keep it up.
                          Thanks! Might as well paint to keep things fresh and prevent rust

Originally posted by S13Jordie View Post
                          Hey buddy, Looks like you've got your work cut out for you. I remember seeing your car at the august Shanny day ( i have the black R32 with Wangan Wing)

The car looks like its being done propper and should be a blast to drive. Check out SG for an alignment, Thats where i went and couldnt have been happier with the results.

Yeah, I remember your car at shanny, it looks sickkkk. Im a big fan of the wangan wing, wanted one for a while after seeing this build on ns: http://nissansilvia.com.au/forums/in...owtopic=445765

I couldn't agree with you more about SG, that's where I got my alignment before the august track day. Will be heading there for another alignment soon for sure. I got my diff welded by Sasha last week as well...they definitely do awesome work

Comment

Updates:

City of Vaughan enforcement came by and said I can't do major car repairs on driveway. They don't want cars on jackstands. I'm quite sure my next door neighbour complained because of the noise me and my friends make or just hate. So I need to finish up soon and move this thing into the garage or someplace else.

Another neighbour is a mechanic, owns a clean as f... el camino, and lends me any tools I don't have. Baller snap-on tools too. I'm a big fan of his car.

I've learned to only buy things at Canadian Tire when they go on sale...

...and when there's free cake involved

pbm's came in...supposedly they go looooowwww now

Pair of Bronze CST hyper-zero 18x9.5 +23 also came in from Japan...might sell these though

Protectant spray that I'll use on the coilovers. Stuff looks serious.

Installed the Driftworks Offset Rack Spacers. I had to use an angle grinder and dremel to notch the steering rack to fit them because the notches didn't line up. Apparently they are only guaranteed to line up with an s14 rack. Hate it when supposedly bolt on parts don't bolt up. Also forgot to use loctite, so now I gotta remove them again and do that up. Time wasted.

Notch Rack to Fit DW Spacers

Got to play with fire again

Those bushings never saw it comin...

Removing the metal sleeves was a such a pain. The fronts have 3 sleeve parts, while the rears have only one.

Removed bushings from knuckles too

But the sleeves were also a pain

Painted the subframe

Put in the solid subframe bushings. Used a long bolt w/ nut to squeeze them in with an impact gun. Worked like a charm

Solid!

And then I spotted this

Torn ball joint boots. Figured I might as well replace the ball joints on both RLCA. So removed the axles and RLCA from kncukles. 1989 b12 Sentra front ball joints should fit according to the interwebs.

Hopefully they come in quicktimeeeeeee

Comment

Very nice dude! I like your subframe pics, will help me out as its on my winter list. Did you use Ams solid bushings or PBM?

I wanna know how the offset rack spacers work for you. Its a good $$$ alterative to PBM moded knuckles hey? Either way im subrsciped to your thread now:P

P.S think you should sell the wheels, get some Chicago's DEEEP DISHH.
                              Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Working...
                              X