240sx RB20DET Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240sx RB20DET Build

Hey guys, so I am doing an RB20DET swap into my 240sx and I figured this would be a good palce to create my build thread since you gentlemen seem to know a lot about these motors and know nothing. Also a good palce for me to keep track of photos for reference later on. So if at any time you realize I am doing something incorrect PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thanks.

Lets start with some before photos of my car.

Ok, and now the rb20 woohoo! when I bought the motor it was in a car already running and everything, but I hate coupes SO I want to put it into my hatch.

about 30 minutes later the engine harness was off

yay no more coupe!

off to my friends garage to be torn apart! ( I have no garage so the work will be done at his house. what a nice guy! )

after pulling the intake off I find rust in the cooling passages. :/ If anyone knows some options how to deal with the rust, please let me know because I have no clue.

pulled the belts and everything off the front, ( yes I aligned to TDC, thank you FSM. )

Removed rocker covers, intake mani and exhaust mani

and the head is off! no damage it seems to the pistons or piston walls. the only real issue with the motor seems to be the rust in the water passages. :/ any ideas to fix the rust guys??

I am waiting on parts to come in so I will update again when that happens. Also, since the motor was not blown, should I still resurface the head? I have searched and read mixed opinions on this. Thanks guys.

Nice little project you got underway. Looking forward to seeing more from this S13.

Sucks about that rust though, could potentially lead to something down the road if not addressed now. Let us know if you find a solution.

Cheers!
    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

Have you tried flushing out the system a few times? That is a result of running water only, bad for cast iron blocks. You can also unhook the heater hoses and back flush as well with a garden hose. Might be a good idea to snag a new water pump, the lack of coolant in the system makes pumps wear twice as fast due to the lack of lubrication.
      Good luck with your build! Looks like its gonna be a fun project. I had a chance to drive an RB25 powered 240, what a blast to drive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
      -Bruce Lee

Comment

just so you know you dont have to align tdc for the belt. you can just align the lines on the belt with the notches on the gears.

also for rust what he said ^ new water pump and thermostat. flush it out and itll be fine.
        RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

thanks feyd182 I know the rust is from running water only. I guess previous owner had enough money to afford an rb20 but couldn't afford coolant? -___-

and thanks RWD_GTR, I was definitely going to get a new water pump and thermostat. Along with a whole new gasket kit, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, oil pump, and a few other things I can't think of. I have a big list of parts somewhere haha. I am replacing as much as I can with OEM parts so it should last me quite awhile. From what I have heard the 20 is a tank and difficult to kill.

as far as the rust and flushing it, do you think a few radiator flushes once the motor goes in my car will actually get the rust out? I mean i am sure not all but at least most? you guys are giving me light at the end of the tunnel but still a bit worried haha. thanks again for the help.

and for the tdc thing, I did it because I was removing the head. I don't know just following FSM on that one to be safe. haha
          Last edited by ReikokuXdori; 01-09-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem on my first Skyline, no heat in cabin and a fairly high operating temp. I flushed it about 3 times with some Prestone cooling system flush and it made a huge difference.
            Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 01-09-2012, 03:20 AM.

-Bruce Lee

Comment

ohhh ok. the bottom pics didnt load for me. thought you were just changing the belt. they are working now. you prob know this but when putting the head back on make sure the gears are at the appropriate notches. dont wanna bend a valve :P
              RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Comment

feyd182 when you flushed it, did a whole bunch of gunk and nasty stuff come out? just curious. I will definitely be flushing this monstrosity out a lot once it is in the car.

RWD_GTR yeah sorry about the confusion. as for bending a valve, yeah that is what I am trying to avoid haha. when you say "make sure the gears are at the appropriate notches" waht exactly do you mean? I assume you mean the little dimple on the cam gears lined up with the white tick marks on the back cam gear over? just clarifying. thanks.

Comment

It came out black, lol. As for timing gears, the little dimples should both be lined up (more or less) with the notches in the timing cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by ReikokuXdori View Post
                    feyd182 when you flushed it, did a whole bunch of gunk and nasty stuff come out? just curious. I will definitely be flushing this monstrosity out a lot once it is in the car.

RWD_GTR yeah sorry about the confusion. as for bending a valve, yeah that is what I am trying to avoid haha. when you say "make sure the gears are at the appropriate notches" waht exactly do you mean? I assume you mean the little dimple on the cam gears lined up with the white tick marks on the back cam gear over? just clarifying. thanks.
                    exactly.
                    RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Comment

Working...
                    X