Hate the rb20 build thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate the rb20 build thread!

Alright, I never do build threads but i'm doing this now just to show that someone still has faith in these motors.

This is what i've come up with after a complete tear down and reassemble of this car and motor.

Por 15'd the inside of my car. Love this stuff!

Rb20 on engine stand, getting it ready to go in.

Rb in car, just about ready for start-up. Almost finished standalone wiring at this point.

Dyno Results. 9psi, was hoping to run a bar but boost controller solenoid was faulty. So was forced to run what the wastegate spring was at! Also running little timing advance and 94 octane.

First track day at western speedway, located on vancouver island.

Brief go pro vid of one of the earlier runs on the first track day.^^^^^^^^

Motor specs:
    RB20
    Oem rebuild, rings, bearings, gaskets, head ect..
    Forward facing intake+90mm tb
    Exotic speed twin scroll top-mount manifold
    Precision t3 turbo, .48 exhaust .60 compressor
    External exotic speed wastegate 38mm, 9psi spring
    GTR 444cc injectors+resistor pack
    Walboro 255lph pump
    Aeromotive external FPR
    Circuit sport catch can
    3 inch stainless exhaust all the way back to 4 inch straight pipe tip
    3 core aluminum rad
    dual 12" push fans
    Microtech Lt-10s
    Gtr Clutch
    11lb lightened flywheel

S13:
    PBM coilovers - Spring rate 12/10
    Spaced Steering rack
    Kazama Tension Rods
    XXR 527 17x9.75
    Whiteline Rear Sway bar
    PBM Subframe Collars
    Welded Diff
    Rear 4 pt strut brace
    Stitch welded rear strut tower

Momo Corse bucket
    NRG Steering wheel
    Impul Shift knob
    Aem wideband
    Greddy boost gauge
    Digital Autometer water temp+oil pressure gauge

There's probably more but its a pretty beginner entry level skid car. Not a whole lot too it!!

I'd like to thank Joel Fox at Platform Garage for being a big help providing shop space for me and being a big part in anything requiring fabrication, and the deadbeats for always being there to annoy me in the process of building this car.

Unfortunately This setup didn't last long the way its sitting in these pictures, before I had done all these bolt ons i was running the motor for two solid drift seasons and this would be my third and the oil pump had failed on my way home from the track! Which the rod bearings did not appreciate.

So for the next season I'm hoping to run a fresh oem rebuilt rb20 and run about a bar of boost and see what it does from there!
    Last edited by DylanArmstrong; 12-04-2012, 02:32 AM.

Nice ride man! Had no idea you were a deadbeats guy. This car was at driftunion invitational not?
    Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Supraclean View Post
      Nice ride man! Had no idea you were a deadbeats guy. This car was at driftunion invitational not?

Thanks! No the motor was out've commission at that point! The Oil pump went! I was still there driving though, in a black s13 hatch.

Comment

Nice well hope to see you out next year! Props for rocken the 20 man they really are good engines.
        Traction is optional, so are zipties

92 Gtst/Silver bullet

Comment

20's are great for value/performance.

Comment

nice build! i think a lot of us still have faith in rb20's....these can engines can take a lot of abuse

Comment

They sure do^ I guess I'm just used to drift related forums where rb20's are mostly frowned upon! I've supported them since ive started but that doesn't mean I have anything against other motors whatsoever!

Comment

Put on a crank coller and a new 26 oil pump on the new motor before you go drifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluerb240 View Post
                  Put on a crank coller and a new 26 oil pump on the new motor before you go drifting.
                  They don't need either of these to be drifted. These are great factory motors that loved to be revved as is.

Comment

Revved yes but to be revved for a long period of time no. It's just a weakness in the older RB motors till the 34 and late 33's did nissan fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluerb240 View Post
                      Revved yes but to be revved for a long period of time no. It's just a weakness in the older RB motors till the 34 and late 33's did nissan fix the problem.
                      I've looked into this as that is likely what went on mine (haven't checked yet). Anyways it seems as the crank needs to be machined to accept the new collar which is pretty damn lame. I might as well be doing a full forged internal rb20 which would run you about $4000. Whereas stock rb20's go for $1000 so its a tough decision really. Considering my oem rebuilt 20 lasted almost three years of straight drifting

Comment

A refresh with new bearings and rings with ARP rod bolts and new drive and RB26 oil and water pump.

Comment

Working...
                        X