gtr/gts4 cefiro build............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gtr/gts4 cefiro build............

So this past weekend I dragged this A31 out of a mates back yard, where it has sat for about 3 years with no engine and no trans.................

For those of you unfamiliar on the A31 Cefiro, its more or less a longer wheels base Skyline, with a somewhat boring looking shell on it, when tidy they get very little police attention. Here in NZ they are pretty common, ranging in price from $500 for a non turbo single cam auto one, to $8000ish (about $5k US) for a manual 20/25det.

The one I have here however is VERY uncommon, even here as its 4wd SE4 model. As a result of being 4wd, most gtr and gts4 parts will slot right in.

Parts purchased so far and their price........

1992 se4 A31 rolling shell $500
    hks r32 gtr suspension $700
    r32 gtr 5 stud hubs, rear half shafts and alloy hub carriers $300
    r33 brakes and disks $250
    r32 gtr factory alloys $550
    r32 gtr rear sway bar $100
    r32 gtr front sway bar and subframe $30
    1997 rs4 Stagea auto trans $450
    r32 gts4 engine sump and diff $250
    a31 Cefiro engine loom $120
    rb20det ecu $50

Parts to purchase..........

r32 gts4 4wd rb20det engine or rwd rb20det + sump adaptor plate
    exhaust system
    r32 gts4 rear diff
    nc34 Stagea rear subframe

Pic below is of the day I dragged it out, more to follow.

So got it all home, towed by the trusty rs4 Stagea bus!

Installed the adjustables to make it towable and have given it a quick look over. Turns out its already got gtr/gts4 alloy hub carriers and a 6x1 diff, but the diff isnt lsd, and the half shafts are small spline at the hub end, rather than large ones like the gtr/gts4. Yay, no hicas on the ass end.

Also found an upgrade turbo, on a modded factory RB exhaust manifold so decided to get that as well. Setup consists of a turbonetics t3/t4, modded factory ex manifold (not shown), custom s/steel downpipe, turbonetics external wg, turbonetics bov. The bov has made its way onto the stagea for now........

First thing on the to-do list is pull the guards off and clean up and paint the engine bay, will just paint factory grey, it will never be a show car!

Found some unusual factory extras, elec seats and a strange rear vision mirror that automatically adjust itself when someone behind you has their high beams on at night

Comment

So ultimately this pig will be neo 25det, so have mocked the turbo setup on my neo motor. Until then I have to get it rolling with the 2L turbo engine as the car has to be re-complied to use it on the roads. The main reason for this is if its as standard as I can get it, the re-compliance guys will give it a far easier time.

Pic of turbo setup on a modded factory manifold. Have also modded air feed the 25det neo J pipe so it clears the external wastegate, air feed to idle control has been moved further up the J pipe. The reason of modding the J pipe rather than fitting a front facing inlet plenum is that I have had a water to air intercooler made up, this will sit in the factory location of the standard intercooler.

The reason for the water to air intercooler is size, its small and will cool as well as a large front mount intercooler, but it will require less piping, which means a lower pressure drop. cooling for this will be provided by a 2nd radiator, which will be made by the guy who made the intercooler. Pumping will be done by an electric water pump from a 1992 Subare RS legacy.

Last edited by spinnanz; 10-04-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

so have managed to track down a 4wd rb20det engine and gts4 rear diff. Engine is less the turbo so have bought an old 20det turbb as well. All going well the engine and diff will arrive in my city next week. Pic below showing size difference of the std turbo to the t3 that will eventually make its way into the Cefiro.

Todays spend

4wd rb20det and rear diff $500 + $185 shipping
        std rb20det turbo $15

Comment

good. moar updates!!

Comment

Engine dropped off at the shipping company this morning by the seller so willl be here in 3 days, total for engine, 4wd mechanical speedo drive, rear diff and shipping came to $782.

Turns out the 4wd r32 gts4 mechanical speedo drive is the one you need to use a big bad boy rwd r33/r34 gearbox on an r32, already have a buyer in my city willing to pay $150 for it, which will take my spend down to $632.

Comment

Its here! Very dirty but its here, car away having the engine bay cleaned up and I'll clean up the engine this week as well as do the cam belt and water pump. FYI, engines weight less turbo is 230kg inc the pallet.

Comment

not much done this week, have pulled out my water to air intercooler stuff. Not sure yet if will use one custom radiator to cool the water for the intercooler, or to use 2 small radiators from a Subaru water to air intercooler setup. Intercooler is approx the size of a factory side mount intercooler, pump is also a Subaru unit.

Last edited by spinnanz; 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X