89 gtst build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 gtst build

Well im starting up a new build with my gtst and the rb20det.
    So far my mild engine build has gone a little past that but hey, its all in the pursuit of skyline happiness

My mods were pretty basic when i picked up the car but with some good, reliable ones as well.
    It was running a standard rb20 with a nistune ecu, 440cc injectors, precision top mount turbo and 3" downpipe/exhaust. A gtr clutch for the standard rb20 transmission to handle a bit more power.
    LS2 coilpack wasted spark system to compliment. Aftermarket gauges and sensors to monitor oil pressure and temperature and boost pressure. Fmic (big a** one), koyo radiator and z32 MAF. It also came with a sard fuel pressure gauge and z32 fuel filter.
    So, all in all it was a good decent place to start.

I was driving with this setup for about 4 months when i started hearing a lot of noise from the motor and decided it was time to rip it out and start up a good build.

My parts list that i have ordered are :

Cometic full gasket kit top and bottom with 1.3mm headgasket
    OEM piston rings (pistons were in near new condition = surprising!)
    ACL bearings
    ARP headstuds
    ARP rod bolts
    Full set of new hydraulic lifters
    New oil pump oem
    New water pump - raw brokerage upgraded one
    All new hardware for everything through raw brokerage
    Silicone radiator and heater hoses
    Mishimoto colder thermostat
    Ross tuffbond harmonic balancer through raw brokerage
    New crankshaft gear - oem
    New timing belt kit - oem
    Nismo engine mounts

Im only looking for 350rwhp so im hoping this list of parts will compliment that for a long period of time and be very reliable. Im excited to finally finish it up and get a final tune done to see what this setup can make. im hoping to keep boost to around 14-15 psi and manage the 350hp as my turbo is quite large .70 Ar and .63 Ar.

Any advice is welcome on any further parts or ideas. keep in mind tho that this is going to be a daily driven car majority of the year besides the winter and crappy days.

Thanks

Tomei headgasket, forged pistons help.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

i just finished reading up on the horror stories accompanying the cometic headgaskets but would the other gaskets be safe to use?
      and what size headgasket would you recommend for the tomei (1.2 or 1.5?)

Comment

Tomei is a safe brand, HKS (used to sell RB20 headgaskets), ACL, Cosworth (RB26 headgaskets), to name a few brands.

Talk to engine builder about thickness of headgasket, as when skim head, block the compression changes and so does the camtiming, which needs to be adjusted to suit. Stock headgasket is 1.2mm.

If want to take it further, having forged pistons there means you don't have to open engine up again to fit them. One person has acheived 550hp at engine (E85 gas) with that combo, what he said is stock conrod bolts in a GT2 spec R32 racecar.

The gearbox would be the next main weak point.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I called up my machine shop earlier today whos built a few rb series motors along with one fully tomei built rb26 and he has had no problems with cometic gaskets as long as he is the one to install them. he knows the RA needs to be less than 15 for a perfect seal so im gonna let him do the install as he knows exactly what needs to be done. If it does fail then tomei will be ordered.

The gearbox was definitely something on my mind but for a daily 350hp and i dont track the car or beat on it im hoping the 20 box will be adequate enough with the gtr clutch in it.

But i am on the hunt for a new 38mm wastegate if anyone has one

Comment

Ended up purchasing a precision 39mm wastegate and new exhaust manifold. Also sent out the injectors to be flow tested and cleaned with new o-rings and the turbo was sent out to be rebuilt as well. Powdercoated all the miscellaneous engine components and valve covers and timing covers black.
            Engine should be assembled and ready to pickup from the machine shop next week

Comment

Why did you go smaller on the waste gate? There was a 50mm on there...

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
              Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

The 50mm was taking up too much space and needed too much modifying with the 4 bolt inlet/outlet that the new manifold didnt have. the new 39mm should do the same job seeing as the runner is only 38mm and thats the restriction, not the wastegate size.

Got my motor back today as well and mannnn does she look pretty, will get some pics up once its on the engine stand and i can start putting her back together.

Comment

might want to fix your post... no image there..
                  Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Working...
                  X