Jared's Swagger Wagon: '90 R32 GTS-T Rb20 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jared's Swagger Wagon: '90 R32 GTS-T Rb20 Build

Well I thought that it was about time that I made a build thread. I have made quite a bit of progress on the car recently and is getting closer to what I visualized when I first purchased it. The car has been through ALOT. When I first bought her it was non turbo, 4 lug, paint not in the best condition in areas and completely stock. I have pictures on an old hard drive of it when I first brought it home and it really is a totally different car. Looking back I have come to realize I should have done it differently and saved more money up to buy one in better condition or a GTR. But at the time I was young and wanted one as fast as possible. I must admit it has been alot of time and effort and I would not be as mechanically inclined to work on cars as I can now.

Its my daily driver so my overall goal with the car is to have a super clean fun daily that I can take to the track.

The motor thats in it currently I got for a pretty good deal and it came with a bunch of bolt ons and A/M parts.

So here is the spec list of the car late 2014:

1990 R32 GTS-T
    Engine:
    RB20DET and RB20 Trans
    Tomei 256 cams
    Garrett 56 trim turbo.....internally gated
    ebay exhaust manifold
    ACT 6 Puck w/ heavy duty pressure plate
    greddy type rs bov
    greddy downpipe
    greddy EBC
    CXRacing intercooler
    3"decat
    3"1/4 catback
    yellowjacket coilpacks
    apexi intake
    custom intake pipe
    walbro 255 fuel pump
    444cc injectors...believe there deatschwerks
    nistune
    AEM Water/meth injection
    Cometic headgasket
    arp headstuds
    z32 MAF
    Oil catch can
    A/C delete

Interior/Electronics:
    GTR Seats
    NRG wheel
    Prosport water temp, oil temp, fuel pressure gauges
    AEM Wideband
    Greddy EBC
    Greddy Turbo timer
    Nistune
    4300k HIDS

Exterior/Suspension:
    GTR N1 Front bumper
    Type-m Side skirts, rear valences
    Wingless
    Custom Advan Sa3r 17x9 with 215/45 and 235/45
    Rays lug nuts

HKS Coilovers
    Front and rear adjustable camber arms
    GTR brakes front and rear
    JUN strut bar

And im pretty sure thats about it...

On this setup I took it to racing greed and made 256whp at 18 psi with an exhaust leak on their mustang dyno.

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted photos of engine bay and exterior but there is a short video of the car from the 2013 revscene meet if you want to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h6CNlZh_0o

Now onto more interesting and recent work. After about a year with this setup I set my eyes on changing a few things around the engine bay and exterior. I really wanted to go top mount and front facing intake plenum. Im really not a fan of the stock piping...so I gathered up this stuff:

PNT Intake plenum w/ 90mm TB
    Cometic Intake gasket
    Greddy top mount manifold
    Greddy type r external wastegate
    -10 AN lines for valve cover to catch can
    new fuel filter
    new oem thermostat
    Raw brokerage rad piping
    Taylor battery relocation kit

Once again I had progress pictures but they got deleted.
    Installed everything myself and this is how it turned out and this is how it sits today.

Overall the installation of all the parts went pretty smooth. The PNT manifold is a really nice piece im very pleased with it. IACV, TPS, stock fuel rail all fitted. There were quite a bit of smaller things that had to be done to make this all work. With this particular manifold I had to get a longer throttle cable, reroute/block some coolant lines under the manifold, extend wiring to tps and iacv, extend water/meth lines, redo vacuum lines and iacv lines, and redo intercooler piping. I also had a greddy intercooler previously so I swapped that out for the shitty CXRacing cooler. The swagger wagon was having enough of that CXRacing intercooler.

On the exhaust side all that had to be done was weld shut the internal wastegate flap and make up a custom dump pipe. Which was actually the most difficult part. Because I left the internal wastegate housing on the turbo, it made very little room between the firewall and the turbo itself. The pipe is heat wrapped but it does make contact with the firewall at some point and it also makes contact with a heater hose as you can see below.

and the firewall

I do have something in mind to move the heater hose further away from the dump pipe but if anyone has any ideas/opinions please comment! I have done some regular driving as it is but in the end it needs to be addressed. Especially once the motor sees higher exhaust temps.

Felt like the swagger wagon needed a little change in scenery on the exterior so I bought these.

Fronts

rears

How the car sits at the moment

Still needs a 4mm spacer up front because the A disks didnt clear the GTR calipers...which I was confident they would....so it will end up being +15 in the front.
    For tire setup im planning on 235/40 rear and 215/40 front.

The Advan Sa3r's are for sale as well: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/4851865883.html

So things still needed to be done before spring time:
    -Roll fenders
    -fix a vacuum leak
    -fix heater hose issue
    -install water temp sensor adapter in rad hose
    -sand and polish coilpack cover
    and take it back to racing greed in the spring!

Pretty much everything I do to the car here on out I will update here in the thread.
    Last edited by JayRod; 02-01-2015, 02:39 AM.
    My R32 GTS-T 'Swagger Wagon' Build : http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/63889-jareds-swagger-wagon-90-r32-gts-t-rb20-build.html

Great build! It sucks that your pictures got deleted, i would of loved to see your progress pictures
    And those wheels look awesome! Ive always wanted a set of the VSXX or Equips.
    Looking forward to see what this year brings
    Started rebuilding my skyline when i was 18
    1992 GTST RB25DET
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
    Originally posted by Bravo
    PS My wife just told me I was shitting in your Cheerios!
    I'm sorry,
    Good luck!

Comment

I like.

With that setup you would expect 256whp at 13.5psi or maybe less psi with cams.

The exhaust leak must have been bad for it to achieve 256whp at 18psi.
      Last edited by Skym; 02-01-2015, 06:13 PM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Modb View Post
        Great build! It sucks that your pictures got deleted, i would of loved to see your progress pictures
        And those wheels look awesome! Ive always wanted a set of the VSXX or Equips.
        Looking forward to see what this year brings
        Thanks! Yah I was super choked about loosing the photos! I cant wait to get tires on em and mount them on the car. Ill probably fool around and take some HDR shots of the rims just to show them off a little lol.

Originally posted by Skym View Post
        I like.

With that setup you would expect 256whp at 13.5psi or maybe less psi with cams.

The exhaust leak must have been bad for it to achieve 256whp at 18psi.
        Yah I was expecting more with that psi level but it was more like around 290-300whp if you factor in the 15% less reading. Not to mention the car is pretty quick! Im hoping for closer to 300whp at same psi level on the stang dyno for this setup. But we will see...
        My R32 GTS-T 'Swagger Wagon' Build : http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/63889-jareds-swagger-wagon-90-r32-gts-t-rb20-build.html

Comment

What kind of fluid are you running in your meth injection? I would think @ 18psi you should be 350whp easy with that turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluerb240 View Post
            What kind of fluid are you running in your meth injection? I would think @ 18psi you should be 350whp easy with that turbo.
            Currently im running 100% meth...but once I go get retuned im switching to 50/50. It definitely had the potential but with the exhaust leak and a more conservative tune it resulted with that number.

Andddddddd...Made an exhaust note video:

Also fooled and around and took some more pics of the rims!

Last edited by JayRod; 03-15-2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

So little update, got tires for the rims and got em mounted. So put the fronts on the car for now until I can get a fender roller and roll and pull the rears. The fronts do come out more than I was expecting because of the 4 mm spacer so I raised the font about 1/2 but I will roll and maybe slightly pull the front.

I absolutely love how they look on the car.

And Also added this to the meth tank hehe .

Comment

Ok so quite a big update. Took the car to racing greed on Wednesday for dyno and tune!

And she made 283whp and 227wtq at 17psi with a 7700 limiter. Converts to 332whp and 267wtq for actually hp numbers

Adding the pnt intake manifold and greddy exhaust manifold to the motor, resulted in a 60 whp gain over last time I was at racing greed at less psi. The pnt mani really added some high rpm power. Take note of the graph. Power kept on climbing all the way to 7700 rpms, probably could have made even more haha.

So im going to keep this setup for the summer. However im looking to replace the turbo next. Its pretty old and im sure there is something better out there that will offer better flow and less lag. Im thinking a gtx2871r but will also like to hear other peoples opinions/experiences.

Also got all the vs-xx's on, more pics in the wheel fitment thread.

Comment

Working...
                X