big fuel problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big fuel problem

I have a huge fuel problem that i can't figure out. Here is what on the go, any suggestion would be great. the car will not start. As soon as I turn the key on the engine starts flooding, causing it not to start. I have managed to get it started, and run real time check on the O2 sensor. The led does not flash it is always on, unless I rev the car up and down it will go off for a breif second. I also ran a error code check but all i get is code 55.

also i pulled all the plugs they have spark, but stink like fuel and are black as tar. 1 month ago when i checked them they were a nice golden color. They are new plugs that i put in last summer.

I took the car to a shop and they couldn't figure out anything. They called me to come up and help put it back together, and never charged me for any labour before or after i showed up. They refered me to another shop that have worked on cars from Japan before. We had an argurment. they told me that i never had my car i diagnostic mode because the 2JZ engine had five modes, so mine had to also. Needless to say the never got to see my car, and never will.

I am kind of think that the fuel pressure regulator is stuck. any suggestion on how to check this would be great, as will as any other suggestions.

Check your fuel pressure, the regulator might be screwed.
    1989 Gumetal GT-R - Nismo Turbo etc
    ivoac.ca Join the fight for the right! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem......

Comment

would that cause the car to really over kill on fuel delivery. Also could it be the O2 sensor? Mine is showing resistance when i meassure it for ohms. Or would this not affect initial startup?

Comment

Also could be a lazy injector which is working 100% mode allt he time heh.

Start with the regulator and let us know what happened. I think you might be able to diagnose it by plugging the vacuum line and see if it solves your problem. This is how you test it for hesitation, but I don't know if it will solve problem starting, if not make it worse.

Comment

which vac line? the one on the top of the regulator? Thanks for your help. I also don't think that it is a bad injector. all my plugs are wet with gas.

Comment

Exactly. I've seen cars with injectors that stay open 100% and are shooting loads of gas into the cylinder. Exhaust had so much carbon in it that it was scary to stand behind it lol. It was like jumping through a chimeny.

You'll want to disconnect the one from the FPR to the intake manifold. It kind of sticks out straight out to the bumper. you'll see what I mean when you see it.

Comment

Vacuum actually lowers your fuel pressure, disconnecting it makes your pressure go up. If the regulator is bad, you will have high fuel pressure. You should be able to get a vacuum tester and apply suction to the fpr and have it hold it. An easy way to test without one is to plug a hose on it and suck on it. Be carful, because I'm not sure if a ruptured diaphragm will give you a mouth full of gas or not.
              1989 Gumetal GT-R - Nismo Turbo etc
              ivoac.ca Join the fight for the right! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem......

Comment

I'd just cap off each end and try starting her up LOL. Rock your way sounds dangerous. Those vacuums got my finger stuck once...We don't want the guy coming back with a vacuum line stuck to his tongue and a face full of fuel.

Comment

thanks guys. I will try that tonight. Also how would i check to see if my injectors are all stuck open, and if they are what would cause that? Because when i do get the car going, it is blowning a lot of smoke from the exhaust.

Comment

just checked the vac on the fpr, and it never leaked a bit. any other suggestions? Also if it was the six of my injectors stuck open what could cause that, and how could i test them.

Comment

What color is the smoke? IF blue you ahve some issues, if white you have some realy bad issues.

If it's just blackish color then it sounds like a toast injector to me. What causes bad injectors? I guess they just die over time. I imagine that the one that is dead has little or no resistance to it, but I'm not an electrician. If you want I can check out my RB20det manual and see how to test for them.

If I was testing this I'd just unplug one at a time until the smoke cleared up. And your positive all of your cylinders are getting spark? Have you tried unplugging one coil at a time and seeing if it makes a difference? Try the regulator test first, and then the coils, but hold off on the injectors as I'm not sure yet. Rockcrete, you have experience with injectors, will a simple yank and test work?

Comment

i forgot with the vac line unpluged the car started, but wouldn't keep idealing.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmnewf View Post
                          i forgot with the vac line unpluged the car started, but wouldn't keep idealing.

Yeah it wont' idle if the vacuum is dead. What I'm saying is you need to plug each end of the vacuum so the one on the intake manifold and the one going to the FPR. I used a marker cap for the intake manifold and some tape, for the hose I used a screw and pushed it in so the top covered the hole and then taped it up as well. Try that, see if it idles and runs better !

If it does well then a new FPR is nothing

Comment

the smoke is black in color. the car smells like a old 2 stroke bike. i can't see it being one injector causing the problem, all my plugs are soaked in gas. this problem is very weird. the car broke down in an intersection of course. was hard to start, but started running fine after. But this problem is getting worse every day it seems.

Comment

Your car wasn't tuned for bigger injectors ever was it?

Comment

Working...
                              X