waterpump removal RB20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterpump removal RB20

hey its time to change my water pump this weekend and i was wondering if i can change it without taking the lower timing belt gaurd off, which means i need to take the crank pulley off also .

LOL I'm at the SAME stage as you are.

Looking at it today, it looks like the bolts are not going to come out w/o taking the lower guard off, which means pulley has to come out. UGH

Also, with the crank pulley, timing belt cover out of the way, it'd be alot easier to clean the surface, apply sealant, etc.

If anyone knows how to do so w/o removing pulley, it'd be appreciated though.

Comment

are you going to be using a gasket or only rtv sealer or something?

im not sure if silicone would work but i think i best do this this weekend.

also if i marke the position of my cas will i still have to re time it?

i still have to pull the damn thing off out in the -20 wether we will be having this weekend lol, atleast my car will be in the heat though, if only i could lift 700 pounds lol

im going to try and take it off without removing the bottom cover and pulley but i think it may work just pulling the bottom cover as far back as possible them crank pulleys are a bitch to get off sometimes

Comment

Your best bet is to remove the cover but i dont think its absoloutly neccesary. You will have to remove the timing belt...so i would recomend replaceing. then its mearly remove the pump cleaning surface and useing nissan sealant. If you go to your local dealer you can get it for like 10bucks or so.
        1989 GTS4....

Comment

okay now with the timing i can do.

what all do i have ot do though just line up all the dots pointing north and slip the belt on?

Comment

Yeah, it's a must, you have to take the lower guard off (involves removing crank pulley unfortunately). I did this last winter, it was a major pain, but my engine operates at a much cooler temperature now :-D . You'll need a "harmonic balancer" puller for sure.

For timing, the intake and exhaust cam gears have little dimples on them, line those dimples up with the lines on the timing chain cover backing plate. The timing pulley (sits behind the crank pulley) also has a tiny dimple on it, you will have to rotate the crank until that dimple matches up with another section on the block (cant quite remember what it is atm, I will look it up for you though).

PM me if you have any questions, in the mean time, I'll look that up for you.
            1992 NISSAN 240SX - RB20DET POWER
            1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

thanks a bunch ARC240.
              i have done timming belts and chains but i noticed every car is different, i think i saw a few numbers down at the bottom so im guessing you may line the bottom dimple up with one of them and then the cam gears in another way?

anyways i think i see the TDC indicator.

i got a greddy timing belt and ill just use the nissan sealer for now.

Comment

does anyone know what size of bolts i need to hook the puller on? im sure its in metric.

Comment

27mm. and wont be in a socket set, so you will have to buy seperately most likely

Comment

Originally posted by love_boost
                    does anyone know what size of bolts i need to hook the puller on? im sure its in metric.
                    M5 bolts.

Comment

thank you, im pretty sure i need to get a course thread bolt right?

Comment

Yeah I just checked, it's course. Make sure you hand thread to make sure it's the correct one or u'll rethread your pulley/strip threads.

I'm at the same stage (haha lazy ass me... snow in BC + holidays)

JUST about to take the pulley off. u can get the bolt matched at lordco, or just find some around. (my case)

Comment

Remove the lower shroud. Makes for an easier job, you can clean better, scrape the old sealant off etc. You can check your tensioners better thhis way, and inspect your keyway on your crank pulley, which is a tad essential.

I used Permatex black silicon sealant on each of my rb20 water pumps and they both never sprung any leaks even after drifting or high heat. It's a good product, and works good if its put on liberally.

1991 Skyline Gts-t Black - Crashed,Fixed,Parted. Still out there.
                          1992 Skyline Gts-t White - Almost ready to abuse.

Comment

Working...
                          X